Suggestions on Slider technique at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 8th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Suggestions on Slider technique

I'm just getting started with a 48" slider. It works fine. However I need some suggestions as how to get those great shots I've seen on all the promos.

I'm not using a DSLR, I'm using a HD cam with a wide angle lens. Maybe I need something in the foreground OOF to emphasize the movement ? I shot about an hour of video at an exercise class today but the results just didn't look the same as when I use my 30 feet of track and dolly... yea I know I can't expect the same results, but there must be some way to get a better sense of moving. Like Chad did here:

I would appreciate some suggestions........

Thanks, Tom B.
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Suggestions on Slider technique

Could you post up a video of the slider shots you're not happy with?
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Trustee

Moevement will be wore pronouned with closer objects so place ovjects in te foreground. Wider angles will look much better, and if you're not wide enough it will just look like a pan (if you're using a WA adaptor, you've probably already figured this out!). Because you don't have the freedom to move 30ft like a dolly, you need to scale everything else down as well by zooming out and bringing everything closer to the lens.

It also works alot better if you use the movement to reveal extra information in the shot. Use it to reveal a character, location or object and the movement will create tension in the shot as the viewer waits for something to be revealed.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Zhong and John,
I do appreciate your replies.

John, all your comments are excellent, just what I needed.
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable