DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Dolly / Track / Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/)
-   -   Hague Igus slider (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/507717-hague-igus-slider.html)

Matt Bigwood May 11th, 2012 03:13 PM

Hague Igus slider

Has anyone used one of these? sliders_linear_rail_systems

I'd like to buy a slider but I don't know if this is a good deal. It would be good to buy from a UK manufacturer if the product is any good.

Mike Beckett May 11th, 2012 04:21 PM

Re: Hague Igus slider

Matt,

I've no experience of the Hague unit, but if you want to buy local, then Glidetrack is a Scottish company - www.glidetrack.com. Just another one to consider.

I have a Glidetrack SD for my Sony NX70 and Canon 600d, and it's great for the money. If I were buying again, I'd go for the new model with the roller bearings on the carriage instead of the nylon runners.

Chris Soucy May 11th, 2012 04:56 PM

Haven't used that particular item, but do have a heap of Hague gear.

It's all manufactured to incredibly high standards and very solid.

From reading the write up for the slider it would appear they have continued to keep the quality as high as ever, seems like a good buy.

CS

Chris Barcellos May 11th, 2012 11:38 PM

I actually bought a track and the sled directly from IGUS here in the states, and put together my own. and it seems to work well.

Matt Bigwood May 12th, 2012 02:12 PM

Thanks for the information - I'll also have a look at Glidetrack.

Matt

Clive McLaughlin September 14th, 2012 01:41 AM

Matt,

I have a Hague steadycam and as a company they are fine. Firmly in the 'you get what you pay for' category. It is out and out budget.

As for the slider. It is an IGUS rail and carriage. What this means is that the sliding system parts were bought from a manufacturer called IGUS. There are various sellers selling Igus rail sliders and slapping their own name on it.

They basically add on stoppers at the ends and feet.

IGUS realised what their product was being used for and started selling it direct.

Google their website or look up IGUS slider on Amazon.

There are countless DIY videos online about how to make feet and 'finish off' the slider. It will be cheaper than buying it from Hague or ZaZa slider etc... if you are prepared to do a small bit of DIY!

Also, somebody mentioned Glidetrack! Glidetrack use the IGUS rails too, and just have a higher mark up in price. (although it might be 'finished' better).

From what I've heard, Konova (not an IGUS rail) is a better slider, and is priced somewhere in between Hague and Glidetrack.

Its the one I'm probably going to go for.

Clive McLaughlin September 14th, 2012 01:47 AM

This is an excellent video for anyone looking at sliders that are based on the IGUS rails system!

Bruce Rawlings September 14th, 2012 04:01 AM

I've had a Glidetrack for years that has now been upgraded to the new roller system and is great. I use the Hague motorised unit with the slider and it works very well. Hague is a very good company as is Glidetrack.

Colin Rowe September 14th, 2012 04:58 AM

The Igus rail is more than adequate for use as a slider, most of the early commercial sliders were based on the Igus rail system. For the limited use a piece of equipment like this gets, why pay hundreds. I built my Igus slider, complete with tripod plate, and heavy duty ball head for about £120, it does just the same job as something costing 4 times as much. Make sure you get the correct width rail for the weight of your gear.