I have a Dana Dolly, how to add drag ???? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 11th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I have a Dana Dolly, how to add drag ????

I want to slow it down , any suggestions on how to add drag?

Thanks
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: I have a Dana Dolly, how to add drag ????

Hi Brent,

I am currently making a slider for my own use and one of my requirements is that I want to be able to control speed. For some applications I will want it motorized and for others I plan to experiment with fluid damping using a silicone fluid. In my current design the rollers are attached to an axle that rotates in a bearing. The axle will protrude beyond the bearing and slip into a fluid filled cylinder. As the axle rotates within the stationary cylinder there will be drag generated. The amount of drag will depend on the rate of rotation as generated by the dolly’s movement, the thickness and viscosity of the fluid film and the diameter of the axle. The success or otherwise of this approach is dependent on the friction between dolly rollers and track. An alternative is to drag the dolly with a cable connected to a fluid damped hand powered winch.

As an example of what can be done with a silicone fluid I can attach a boom to my fluid damped tripod head and with suitable balancing can obtain hands free lifts or descents at controlled rates. By hanging a chain on the descending end of the boom I can also achieve very gentle stops. All very useful.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Major Player

I have three sliders an Igus, a CineSlider and a Shuttle Pod the first two have drag control but the Shuttle Pod does not I hold it so some part of my hand drags on the rail, this way I can control the drag and speed myself.
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Trustee

We just took delivery of a Dana dolly 'rental kit'. I set it up with 8' pipes that sit on top of Matthews lowboy rolling stands. Used a Vinten Vision 3 head and the gool ol' EX3. I love it. BUTTER SMOOTH, so I am not sure what it exactly is you are looking to do as it certainly makes the grade for me.
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Im using it with a ex3 as well and its real smooth, Im trying to slow it down and get a consistent slide.
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi brent,
How slow do you want? What have you tried?
Earlier I mentioned a slider that I am developing. So far I have tested it with a motor that gives me speeds of 0.5 mm/sec to ~ 9mm /sec. - a range that I want to try for some macro work. I will also be setting up a another motor for higher speeds. As mentioned I have also added some fluid damping that gives me better manual control, this turned out to be much easier than I expected.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Trustee

It sounds like you want motor control, but again, I am not sure what kind of stuff you are doing.

For me, the Dana dolly is soooo smooth, I can creep it as slow as I would ever want or need for shooting something live. If you go too slow, the movement it gives the camera is defeated.
IMO, if you add drag, it will likely hiccup.

If you are looking for timelapse, then it is not the right tool without some expensive modification.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable