Ceiling mounted Motorized Track System at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old March 20th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #1
New Boot

Ceiling mounted Motorized Track System

I'm new to this site, but I have a question for everyone. I have a client that would like to install a ceiling mounted motorized track for cameras that he can control camera movement left to right as well as pan and tilt. I've been looking all over the place and not seeing anything. This will be for a broadcast studio space with a live audience. He is looking to use non broadcast cameras, something akin to the the Canon XF 305. I have knowledge of the pan/tilt heads that can be used, it's just the track system that is baffling me. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Rick Busse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Ceiling mounted Motorized Track System

Try Google with Cable Cam
Old March 27th, 2013, 06:02 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Cable cams probably aren't the answer. they're like the overhead cams you see at NFL football games, NASCAR is using them now and even some live TV shows are using them. More appropriately called Fly Cams. A good friend of mine is cameraman on one. It takes 2 people to operate it. A pilot who actually flys it or directs it and a cameraman who runs the camera.
As for a solid track mount I have to be honest I've never seen it but of course that doesn't mean it's not out there or can't be made but there could be some liability issues. there's a lot of slack and wires used in a flycam and imagine a solid track mounted to the ceiling...of course the camera can be safety chained to the slider mechanism but what if the whole track came loose from the ceiling? Could be a problem with a live audience.
How about a boom with the camera pointed downwards and a good operator to pan over the audience? Probably a lot less liability.
Just a thought.
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #4
Trustee

Telemetrics Inc

Innovision Optics - Creative Ways of Imaging

Get ready for sticker shock ;-O
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Major Player

I mean it's imperfect but you could get a kessler cineslider with an oracle controller...
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks everybody, keep the suggestions coming! I don't think price is an obstacle with him, but we'll see. I'd never heard of anything like this before, it even stumped a buddy of mine that works for Canon's cinematography division. As for boom operators, he wants to control everything from the booth and minimize too many people on the stage area. I think having boom operators is a good thing, but it's his project and money. I'm checking in with Innovision right now, we'll see what happens.
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Trustee

If you can make it to NAB, you may be surprised that what you're looking for is on display there.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I had seen a remote operated boom and of course you can get remote operated heads that pan, tilt. We use them all the time for NASCAR. Place 6 to 8 cams on the wall, 1 on the fence behind the flagstand and trust me, ain't no one standing there operating those. Use to many years ago but that's a different story. :-) We would be a quarter mile or more from the cameras with our remote controls, all fiber optic and cat5.

I don't remember where I had seen that boom and it wasn't all that big but it did carry a DXC30.
Maybe google can help.
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #9
New Boot

I wish I could make to NAB this year, unfortunately we just opened our showroom this year, so not yet. I'm gonna keep an eye on the releases and see what else comes up. I've sold motorized pan/tilt heads before, so that's easy, and the remote set ups are easy to find. Hopefully Innovision or TeleGlide will be the answer for this client.
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #10
Inner Circle

There was a security system being marketed a long way back which started out life as a motion control system. It involved an extruded aluminium monorail with gear rack milled or pressed into the extrusion and a geared transport. The monorails were attached high on walls and could go around corners.

There was a machine shop near Midland Junction over here making the carriage and monorails but that was some 20 years back before cameras became much smaller and cheaper. I do not now recall the name of it or even if they are still in business.

Sorry I am of little help but a search under "security camera"+"monorail" might pull something up along with "motion control+monorail".
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #11
New Boot

Well, it looks like Innovision is going to be contacting me after NAB, and my client is very interested in what they have to offer. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, I'll keep you informed of how it works out.
Old October 13th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I apologize for waking an old thread, but I was just curious if anyone has a ballpark figure as to how much a motorized track system like this would cost? I've looked at the various companies that provide systems like this, particularly the Telemetrics TG4 ceiling mount system, but of course, no prices are listed. I don't want to contact the company for pricing as I'm merely curious and don't want to waste their time.
Old October 13th, 2014, 05:07 AM   #13
Inner Circle

There is a company from France that is working to bring their motion control rig to the US. The price for their system will be around $80k for the arm and controllers. A motorized track mount is in the works. I don't know what the price range for that would be.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable