Size? for PVC dolly rails using rollerblade wheels. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 28th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Size? for PVC dolly rails using rollerblade wheels.

I've had some aluminum brackets machined (U channel) to mount dual inline skateboard wheels on a dolly. The wheels are 80mm rollerblade types, both vertically mounted and seperated by one washer. Using the two sizes of PVC pipe in my shop, both caused a good deal of "squeaking" as the wheels rolled over them. I'm pretty sure this is just because the conduit is too small and the shoulders of the wheels are rubbing.

So the question. What is the largest diameter pipe I can use without derailing? There will be four "trucks", each having two axles, for a total of 16 wheels. I should mention that the dolly is being designed to carry both me and my 14 foot crane. Total weight about 250 pounds.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #2
Tourist

PVC Dolly rails

Hi Dennis

I found a similar problem was solved not by changing the size of tubing but by reducing the friction with a silicone spray if you use too large a tube the wheels tend to go out of line.
Derek Ashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Major Player

I made a camera dolly similar to what you're talking about (which I'll post pictures of later) and I would recommend not using rollerblade wheels. Instead, use wheels that are used on boat ramps (low quality picture but it's all I could find - http://www.mumps.ca/pictures/wheel.jpg). This way, they can ride on the pipe or right on the ground.

I'll post the design for my dolly and directions on how to make one in a few weeks.
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Derek, I was thinking the same thing about the silicone spray. The downside is gravel/sand sticking to the wheels if used off the rails. I picked up some 1 1/4 " pvc today and will try it later to see if there is a compromise to be reached between squeaking and tracking.

Mark, are you able to use bearings on the boat ramp wheels? If I recall correctly they're generally just a bushing around the bolt. Should work OK though if they're greased up.
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Yep, I forgot to mention that I have bushings in each of them and a bolt connecting them to two pieces (well, four total) of angle iron. I'll try to take some pictures soon.
Old September 30th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #6
Major Player

Well I now have my behemoth of a dolly made. It's rather large as it is designed to take my Bogen 028 legs at full spread. So now I have to figure out how to make this a two or three piece unit for transport. Anyone have ideas/pics for a dolly that breaks down but is rigid once assembled? I'm thinking of doing something similar to a table with removable insert.
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Furniture polish works great of taking the noise away. Spray along the front of the wheels and track while you roll the dolly to spread it along. On my design, I use the spacing of a jam nut between the wheels and 3/4" track. I came up with the roller blade design almost 20 years ago now, so I'm pretty familiar with it! If you want to use larger diameter track, use a longer bolt as your axle and spread the wheels as wide as you want. The noise might not be possible to get rid of if you used a "super grip" type wheel. Ironically, the cheaper you go on wheels, the better off you are (within reason. the really cheap wheels aren't great, but still better than ones that grip.)

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable