What head are you using on your slider? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 21st, 2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What head are you using on your slider?

I bought one of the new Kamerar Big Sliders a couple weeks ago and it is fantastic. I've been using a Benro S4 fluid head on it which has worked pretty good until I decided I wanted to try a diagonal slide. There is no way to level the camera with a typical video fluid head so now I'm thinking about switching to a ball head on the slider. After doing a lot of searching, it appears that Manfrotto are the only ones who make ballheads with the correct clamp to accept the 501 plates I use on my video-dedicated cameras. I'm now contemplating adapting a Manfrotto 577 clamp to one of the many ball heads I already own. So anyway, I'm curious what everybody else is using on their sliders.

Bob
Old October 21st, 2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: What head are you using on your slider?

Depends what I wanna do. I've used ballheads for diagonal slides/timelapses, and fluid heads when does level slide type stuff. I use a 701hdv or 501hdv depending on the shoot for fluids, and usually an induro for ball head. If you're super worried about having the same plate type, you could just stick a manfrotto quick release on top of any old ball head.
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Can you explain what you mean by a diagonal slide? I use a manfrotto 701.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Like this. Can't do this with a pan and tilt fluid head. I attached an arca plate to the bottom of a Manfrotto 577 plate clamp to try this out. I like it so will probably remove the arca clamp and attach the 577 clamp directly to the ballhead. I prefer to keep arca plates on my still cameras and 501 plates on the dedicated video cameras.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
What head are you using on your slider?-diagonal-slide2.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable