Anyone have any experience with the Shooter Scooter? Best Dollies out there? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old March 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone have any experience with the Shooter Scooter? Best Dollies out there?

I am looking for a reliable and dependable dolly for our production. I have looked into all kinds and even considered building my own. I have looked at the microdolly, some Chapmans, Fishers, etc. Then came across the shooter scooter.

I checked both of their videos on demonstration and how it holds up but can't tell much without using it. So has anyone had any experience?

How'd it go? :)

thanks

Justin
Justin Sammarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Looks like it's around $2500 for the basic kit and around $5000 for everything. Here is a link:

www.vfgadgets.com/SScooter.htm
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

James,

That's the link I was on that showed me the videos,but I was still wondering About experience and its reliability from anyone who's used it.

Thanks tho
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Oh I know. It's always helpful to post a link when mentioning something so I did it. It's nice to be able to see what someone is talking about. I had never heard of that before.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Have you used a JL Fisher dolly?
I'm not sure how it's remotely possible to compare home made or this scooter to something like a Fisher Model 10 (other than it's should be much much less expensive to rent).

If you can get one of these with accessories for a shoot, life is good. :)
http://www.jlfisher.com/dollies/mode...olly/index.asp
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:45 PM   #6
Major Player

I recall a favorable article on this dolly in American Cinematographer from last spring sometime. It isn't part of their on-line archive though, as far as I can tell.

I would put this in the class of a western dolly or doorway dolly though. The Chapman and JL Fisher dollies are in a different class both in performance and cost.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for the insight and advice.

I am going to look into the fisher dolly and a grip company around here is looking to sell a Chapman hydrolic dolly for a very reasonable price.

Thanks again.

Justin
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sammarco
I am going to look into the fisher dolly and a grip company around here is looking to sell a Chapman hydrolic dolly for a very reasonable price.
I didn't know you could buy a Chapman dolly. I thought all JL Fisher and Chapman/Leonard equipment was for rent only and technically they all belonged to them.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I've never heard of that.

I called today to confirm they still had it and they do.I am going down tomorrow to check it out and get the model info too...they want upwards of 12k for it.
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #10
Major Player

I've played on the shooter scooter, but never done a real shoot on one. It's a solid workable dolly. Since it uses tires, you might have to lay down dance floor on uneven or bumpy surfaces. As for Fisher; you can only rent. I'm not sure about Chapman, as we always used Fisher's, but I thought you could only rent the actual dolly, but could buy extras like the jib arm. Guess I'm wrong since someone has one for sale! As someone mentioned, they are a completely different class of dolly. Keep in mind that the Fisher & chapman are extremely heavy dollies. You'll need a truck with a lift gate or 4 Arnolds to get it in and out of the truck. Make sure you get some kind of warranty if you get that Chapman. There is a lot that can be wrong! My advice is if you want one of these top drawer dollies is to rent then hire a professional dolly grip to work it.

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Where would be a good place to get quality pnuematic wheels?
Old September 5th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #12
Major Player

I don't know how quality they are, but the seem to hold up for me, and they're dirt cheap. Harbor freight:

http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearc...atic&Submit=Go

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Thanks, just bought your book, looking forward to using it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable