DIY Film accessories (Dollies etc). at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old September 17th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #1
Major Player

DIY Film accessories (Dollies etc).

Hi all,

I've well and truely crashed through my budget for equipment (new mac and FCP has finished that off)...hopefully one or two jobs will put me back on the 'straight and narrow'.
Reason for the post is that I could do with some kit/gear which I don't suppose I could afford at this time - I'm therefore looking for ways around this (rentals are pretty much out also).
First off I'm looking into making a dolly - I was shooting the other day and really could've done with one for a few of the shots; I also have a couple of short films I'm attempting to get off the ground and I'd consider a dolly/tracking shot essential....soooo...is it a case of somehow attaching wheels to your tripod or 'borrowing' a local supermarket trolly?
I'd also like to film from inside my car...I don't think the coffee cup holder will hold the HD100...

I'd be interested to know if any of you out there had any DIY accessory recipes you wouldn't mind sharing.
Many thanks.
Dave.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 03:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Wheelchairs are used for simple tracking shots. Unfortunately, shopping trolleys are difficult control and need smooth surfaces. You could check out companies that supply industrial trolleys, they often sell wheels that can be used to make your own dolly.

Ron Dexter has lots of DIY stuff on his website http://www.rondexter.com

You can also make your own car mounts. If you get a photograph of the bonnet beam type mount you can make an DIY version out of 4" x 2" wood, or even metal piping. Just make sure it's mounted securely onto the car and that you protect the car's paint work.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Many thanks Brian. I'll look into those.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Also check out the Homebuilt Stabilizer site at http://www.homebuiltstabilizers.com/ and http://hbsboard.com/. Although the primary focus is Stedicam-type devices, there are several other DIY sections including dollies, cranes and remote heads.
Old September 19th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Earl - didn't realise there was a Dolly section - apologies all!
I've bookmarked the sites - cheers.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable