Losmandy Spider Dolly? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old November 26th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Losmandy Spider Dolly?

Hi all:

Anyone have any experience using the Losmandy Spider Dollies (either the 3 leg or 4 leg?). I just purchased the Losmandy PortaJib Traveller so the Spider is the natural extension of the jib arm.

I have used the four leg for one shoot, played with both versions at NAB and at Wooden Nickel. They seem to be smooth, small, light and very well made. Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the tubular rubber track?

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #2
Wrangler

It works well. You would be well advised to get the channel spacers, which are very inexpensive and help keep the non-articulating legs in a straight line, as the track can get a bit floppy otherwise. There's a nice beefiness to the product and it is quite flexible (literally and figuratively).
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Charles:

Thaanks for your take on the Spider Dolly. After searching for jibs and dollies for about the past year, I took the plunge on the PortaJib Traveller. Next will be the Spider. I really like the idea of a small dolly that I can easily use with the jib arm for doing Steadicam-like moves. I know it's no Steadicam, but for simple tracking shots with on-camera hosts, following a subject up a hallway, etc. seems like it would work very nicely.

I rented the four arm for a shoot at a Bristol Farms a couple of years ago and other than the grips never had worked with it and it took them an hour or so to figure out how to assemble it, it worked very nicely.

If you watch the assembly video clips on the Losmandy website, if you know what you are doing, the entire four legged spider can be assembled in a about five minutes, which is also very appealing. The Spider and Porta Jib are made for each other and will hopefully serve me well.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable