DVC 9 Theme ---- "Meeting" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:27 PM   #1
Wrangler

DVC 9 Theme ---- "Meeting"

And the DVC 9 Theme is.... "Meeting"
GO GO GO!
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:50 PM   #2
Wrangler

Some new stuff for this challenge, please read all of this!!!

You now have until NEXT SUNDAY NIGHT, to write, shoot, editing, upload to the web, and email me the link at thedvchallenge@gmail.com Please include your name and title in the subject line of the email.

Remember: my old hotmail account is D-E-D dead!

Rules
Time limit: minimum 30 seconds, maximum 3 minutes (+15 seconds for titles/credits or overrun)
Material must be all new. You can't rehash previous films.
No animated shorts, no photo montages.
You must have the rights to use any additional material (music, etc)

IMPORTANT:
OPENING TITLES MUST BEGIN WITH:

"thedvchallenge.com
Presents"

Followed by

TITLE OF YOUR FILM

you can include any other titles you want at the start, but you must have the DV Challenge bit, and your title.

Acceptible submission formats:
It's up to you, but if people can't watch it, they sure won't vote for it. Quicktime or Windows Media are the only mostly safe bets. Mac users, make sure what you put up will play on PCs as well. ie. use cutting edge compression not yet available for PCs at your own risk.

Unacceptible:
Those stupid free download sites where you have to wait 30 seconds and skip through three layers of advertising before playing it. If you want to host on them fine, but I will no longer be watching them.

Youtube:
Youtube is really easy to upload to, it's fast, and the quality while small, isn't bad.
Please include a Youtube version of every film. You can still host a high quality, large screen version for those who want it.
This way, we can pick and choose which version we watch! It makes a big difference for me since I tend to watch each one 2-3 times.
(this will likely become a rule down the road)

There you go, have fun! I'm off to start panicking about not having a story yet, even though I made up the theme!
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Wrangler

(sorry, had to delete a few posts to move the above to the top of the thread, no harm meant)
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Trustee

question re: all new material.

Does this also mean that included footage taken from something like a royalty free stock film library is forbidden? (such as an establising shot of a metro skyline, SF cable cars going by, or fireworks over the statue of liberty etc.

I ask because I have the entire Digital Juice library of stock footage, and although I have no script ideas yet, I want to know whether or not I should even rely on such resources for any clips.

Thanks.
-Jon
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Getting dense in my old age. Is that Sunday night the 5th or Sunday Night the 12th ??
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Jonathan:

Everyone uses original footage, not someone elses stuff.... These challenges are about our ability to capture, edit and produce images.....
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:21 PM   #7
Major Player

Chris,

According to the sign-up thread, it's the 12th.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=98689

Jim
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thought that is what I recalled...
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:43 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Jonathan:

Everyone uses original footage, not someone elses stuff....
Thanks Chris.

Much like stock music tracks, stock dv clips are also a very common filmmaker/dv editor resource - used in professional media all the time. Since some submissions of previous dvc rounds have included non-original footage (ie: television programs in the background of a scene) I just wished for a clarification of the limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
These challenges are about our ability to capture, edit and produce images.....
close.

-Jon
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:51 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones View Post
Thanks Chris.

Much like stock music tracks, stock dv clips are also a very common filmmaker/dv editor resource - used in professional media all the time. Since some submissions of previous dvc rounds have included non-original footage (ie: television programs in the background of a scene) I just wished for a clarification of the limitations.

close.

-Jon
Good argument, counselor... and haven't seen Dylan disqualify anyone yet...
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:47 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones View Post
Good question and arguement!
Previously created material that is acceptible:
-Any and all music is acceptible (providing you have the right to use it)
-Still photos, even if they are key to the story.
-Stock visual effects (gunshots, explosions, etc...) are fine.
-Anything that appears in the background, and is not story-critical is fine (like a TV in the background)

As for stock DV footage... I think as long as it is used in a non-essential purpose and was shot by you, it's Ok (as in the characters are watching it inthe background. If you've got a disc of stock war footage and want to make an action movie, there might be a problem.
The DV Challenge is an evolving entity, so let's explore this on a case by case basis.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge