DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   How's it going? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/116066-hows-going.html)

Lorinda Norton February 29th, 2008 07:43 PM

How's it going?

I'm sitting over here with nothing right now. Who chose this theme, anyway?

;)

Josh Chesarek February 29th, 2008 07:47 PM

I got a really cool idea if I can figure out how to do it. Hopefully Ill film this weekend.

Stephen van Vuuren February 29th, 2008 09:05 PM

I'm redoing my studio so I won't start for a few days. But I've done 48 Hours a number of years, so I'm not too worried...

...yet...

Dick Mays February 29th, 2008 09:35 PM

I have assembled my team, and we have consumed three bottles of Cabernet. I am expecting good things to happen when I wake up tomorrow and read the script....

Bob Thieda March 1st, 2008 07:25 AM

I've got a couple of ideas....but time will be the issue.
This weekend is booked already....so is next Saturday. And weekdays are limited, (unless I miss some work...hmmm).

Not givin' up though...not yet!

Robert Martens March 1st, 2008 10:45 AM

I was up all night screwing around with my new stuff (pays to live within sixty miles of B&H's warehouse; shipped UPS Ground, arrived next day), managed to get it working just about dawn, and wouldn't you know it, inspiration struck a few minutes ago. I have an idea that I can actually pull off, and which fits the theme, to boot. It didn't take until two days before the deadline this time, either! I suppose comedy is sort of an easy out when it comes to short films, but it's the best idea I've got and I'm running with it.

Still can't get GigaStudio LE to recognize my MIDI input correctly--at all, really--but that's a minor quibble. I'm on track to finish an entry for a change! Wee!

Jim Montgomery March 1st, 2008 10:56 AM

Well ........ I managed to do the Production credit roll ..... but that could change.

Lorinda Norton March 1st, 2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Martens (Post 835789)
I'm on track to finish an entry for a change! Wee!

Good to hear it, Robert. It's been a while! :)

Dick might be onto something there as far as getting a story going, but I don't drink wine...makes my nose stuffy.

Keep at it, and I hope everything goes well--for all of us!

Dylan Couper March 1st, 2008 12:24 PM

I'm sitting in a hotel room in San Francisco by the wharf drinking vodka and 7 (yes I know it's 9:30am) waiting for my driver to show up so I can get to our location. In the meantime, I thought I'd check in and see how everyone is doing. Glad to see there's a lot of head scratching, that means it's a good theme!

Jesse Steele March 1st, 2008 03:11 PM

You're all gonna hate me, but I wrote three scripts already, picked the one I'm using, shot it, stayed up all night editing it and am now fine tuning the score? Lorinda must be a muse?

I had to haul butt on this though because I have an acting audition for a movie about the Korean war out of town next weekend. So I have to be done by thurs!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Good Luck,
Jesse

David Cummings March 1st, 2008 11:38 PM

just finished filming the bulk of it. so Ive got a week to edit. things are looking up thus far!

Jonathan Jones March 2nd, 2008 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 835814)
I'm sitting in a hotel room in San Francisco by the wharf drinking vodka and 7 (yes I know it's 9:30am) waiting for my driver to show up so I can get to our location.

Did you travel all the way down here just to shoot for the Challenge or did you just fly south for the Winter?

-Jon

Mike Teutsch March 2nd, 2008 07:08 AM

Wow,

I've been so busy that I did not even see that the theme was posted until right now! Behind the curve, but I'll try to catch up.

Hang tough Lorinda, you da man.

Have fun in Frisco Dylan.

Mike

Hugh DiMauro March 2nd, 2008 12:21 PM

My writing is complete. It's shameless. Now I must beg, plead, bribe, cajole and threaten my colleagues into performing before the lens. Food, beer and whisky usually work.

Jim Montgomery March 2nd, 2008 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the script, developed the closing production credit. My choice for actors are not answering the phone, damn caller ID, DP is set, editor is ready, cinemaphotographer is pacing, gaffer is doing drugs.

Anything else.....

Fredrik-Larsson March 2nd, 2008 08:56 PM

Wrote probably the worst of my scripts yesterday and shot it today. I am definately a candidate for the DVC12-raspbarry-award... :p And to make it even worse.. it's a DVC-sequel! Oh yeah, was supposed to focus on the sound on this one and well.. I discovered some problems after everything was shot. Luckily I recorded 2 channels so the additional one might rescue me. Yeah, I captured it a moment ago. And it look crap. Well, that was because the capture wasn't working so I need to update that to the latest versions. But all in all... there will be an entry from me... it will take me off the DVC-wall-of-shame though... ahh.. who am I kidding, this can't be the worst one I made, probably a top-ten though.. ;)

Lorinda Norton March 2nd, 2008 09:37 PM

A sequel? How cool is that! Can’t wait to find out which movie!

I’m really impressed that some of you guys have finished shooting already. That’s gotta feel pretty good.

Bruce Broussard March 3rd, 2008 11:05 AM

Came up with a loose idea on Friday. Decided to shoot on Saturday with the little shreds of a script/storyline that I had. Started post on Sunday. Since this week is totally full (mon-fri). We will complete sat-sun and deliver on time!

by the way, it was an easy theme, change can have so many meanings.

Ken Bates March 3rd, 2008 01:03 PM

I gues this might be the best place to post.
Just found this forum the other day and as luck would have it, just in time for the DVC. Caught me off guard so I may not get one in for this time around, but what a fun idea!
Get off your butts and make something indeed. :)

Anxious to see how this round goes, as just a spectator though.
Good luck to all.

Lorinda Norton March 3rd, 2008 04:10 PM

Wow...a neighbor!!! Welcome aboard, Ken.

Ya know, it's not too late to try and submit something, although we do have a decent head start on you. Sign up if you think of something--anything you might want to submit. As Bruce said...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Broussard (Post 836702)
by the way, it was an easy theme, change can have so many meanings.

This is a pitch the size of a cantaloupe that anyone should be able to hit. Themes might not get any easier! :)

P.S. Since you're in my neck of the woods, if you want to throw in with me this time around or you need an entra hand if you think of something, just shoot me an email!

Dick Mays March 4th, 2008 12:00 PM

Lorinda,

What is the length limitation this time?

Dick

Lorinda Norton March 4th, 2008 12:04 PM

Oh yeah. This would be a good time to refresh the memories of folks who didn't read the rules again! :) Straight from the Web page:

The maximum duration of your film is three minutes, plus an additional 20 seconds for credits. You ARE allowed to use part of the additional 20 seconds for your film if you need it. There is no penalty for films shorter than 3 minutes, so you can enter with a 40 second film if you like.

Your film must open with a title reading "thedvchallenge.com presents" Please note the URL is "thedvchallenge.com" and not "dvchallenge.com" You may use any font, in order to make it congruent with the look and feel of your film.

All good stories need a good title! Your film must have a title which must show at the beginning of your film following "thedvchallenge.com presents"! Whenever you email us, please include the title. It makes life so much easier.
Please, do not make the title the same or similar to the theme. If the theme is “cats”, don’t call your movie “Cats”, “The Cats”, or “A Cat”.
Very descriptive titles are good as it helps your film stick out in the judges minds when trying to remember which film is which. Films titled “untitled” will be frowned upon.

Jim Montgomery March 4th, 2008 01:05 PM

Oh Poop

So I call everyone for a Thursday schedule and my lead actor(s) are in Georgia at a Lacrosse Tournament. Lacrosse? who plays lacrosse.

Now I'm scrambling ....

Jesse Steele March 4th, 2008 04:13 PM

shoot? I don't even know what lacrosse is!!! Good Luck!

James Huenergardt March 4th, 2008 05:14 PM

Well, who knows what's going to happen.

Script is just about wrapped up.

My lead just got strep throat. I'm looking hard for a substitute.

A web project I thought I'd have done by now is still looming.

I go on call starting tomorrow (I'm an air ambulance pilot), so trying to schedule a shoot literally a crap-shoot (pun intended).

So, I may or may not get to shoot anything before Sunday.

If not for DVC, I will shoot this short for practice.

Ah, the joys of film making...

Joseph Tran March 4th, 2008 06:01 PM

Ah man, I just got back from a show in Houston, and I haven't even started! Anyone else?!

There's still time! No wall of shame for me!!!!!!!

Lorinda Norton March 4th, 2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Tran (Post 837445)
There's still time! No wall of shame for me!!!!!!!

That’s right! Go for it.

After throwing out several ideas, on Sunday I finally hit on one that gelled and even got a script written, so we shot the indoor part today and plan to deal with the cold wind tomorrow for the rest of it.

Wind. Now I remember why I don’t like a March challenge…

Jim and Jim, I hope you find replacements and time. We want to see your movies!

Dick Mays March 5th, 2008 01:15 PM

Way ahead of the game this time.

I finished the 50 hour competition this weekend with a 6 minute film so I will be able to redit the footage into a 3 minute film with a lot of time to spare for the DVC12.

It will be interesting to see how the reedit compares to the original. I may post both versions to youtube for the fun of it.

At the screening last night I was mortified to watch my audio drop out in front of a packed audience. Scenes that I shot with only one microphone ended up as silent footage since they were only sending one audio channel to the speakers.

Live and learn.

Jim Montgomery March 5th, 2008 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How's it going? I'll tell you how it's going!

Screen Grab

Robert Martens March 5th, 2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Montgomery (Post 837862)
How's it going? I'll tell you how it's going!

Screen Grab

Yeah, "screen grab", sure. Not the pressure of the deadline getting to you, no, not that at all. I bet Dylan will like your film best of all, what with the drinking. Hee hee!

It's an admittedly-less-than-mad dash to collect props and other assorted sundries over here. I need to find a few dozen more coins, staple some sheets to the ceiling, find that yellow tablecloth, grind a few pieces of aluminum and steel, finish pressing those bearings in with the C clamp...just a boring Wednesday evening.

I have no screen grabs, and you ain't gettin' none when I do, neither! Jim is very generous, but I'm saving my masterpiece for Youtube.

Jay Kavi March 7th, 2008 02:11 AM

We wrapped shooting at 2am last night (started at 5). The Editor's on it now

*fingers crossed*

Sanjay

Bob Thieda March 7th, 2008 06:18 AM

Tick, tock...tick, tock....

Runnin' out of time and nothin' shot yet :(

Bob T.

Lorinda Norton March 7th, 2008 02:25 PM

That's great, Jay! "The Editor's on it now..." --words that strike fear in the hearts of those of us who try to do it all on our own. I should try to find an editor...or a camera man...

Bob, if you're hurting for ideas just remember that your film doesn’t have to include dialogue, or even actors, and it doesn’t have to be long, either. Mike Teutsch won a DVC with a great 30 second PSA!

I found out this time that shooting a movie with minimal or no dialogue makes things much, much easier. :)

By the way, for those of you who are ready to send YouTube links, just a reminder that the old email address is dead; send your link to thedvchallenge@gmail.com.

In the email, include your name, title of your film, and the link.

Jim Montgomery March 7th, 2008 02:29 PM

I THINK I am back in the game! Shot everything I need plus pick ups and cut aways. Found an actress, she's three months pregnant but after effects to the rescue.

Jim

Joseph Tran March 7th, 2008 03:01 PM

Wrapped shooting at 4 this morning. The lights are cooling, the batteries are charging, the actors have their vouchers.

Now it's time for post, right after this post... let's hope my computer doesn't suddenly cras

Mike Teutsch March 7th, 2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Montgomery (Post 838884)
Found an actress, she's three months pregnant but after effects to the rescue.

Jim

I don't think After Effects is going to help that. Oh, you mean, OK! :)

M

Oliver Pahlow March 7th, 2008 03:32 PM

I have not given up, yet. I finally have an idea.

Oliver

Robert Martens March 7th, 2008 05:12 PM

Good God. My inkjet printer pulled through for me at the last minute and produced output without banding. I cleaned the print heads, checked all the highest quality settings, bam, out comes a print looking the way I expected it to. Can't remember the last time that happened.

If this isn't a sign from above, I don't know what is. Here's hoping I get this sucker shot tonight so I have a couple of days to work on my sound and music.

Bob Thieda March 7th, 2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 838879)
Bob, if you're hurting for ideas just remember that your film doesn’t have to include dialogue, or even actors, and it doesn’t have to be long, either. Mike Teutsch won a DVC with a great 30 second PSA!

Ideas are not the problem....Time....Time is the enemy...

We shall see.....

Bob

Jonathan Jones March 7th, 2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Montgomery (Post 838884)
Found an actress, she's three months pregnant but after effects to the rescue.

Jim

But....I thought pregnancy WAS the after effects.

j/k
I couldn't pass that one up.
-Jon