DVC 12 – The Winner Is… at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old March 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Wrangler

DVC 12 – The Winner Is…

Dear folks, it has been my pleasure to help with the DV Challenge this time around. What an enjoyable bunch of films, with enjoyable people behind them! I trust you all had fun and will be back for more.

The votes have been tallied. We’ve got a winner who will receive a $250 shopping spree at www.dvestore.com courtesy of Guy Cochran. Thanks so much, Guy!

Thank you, once again, to Chris Hurd for giving us a great place to practice filmmaking with great people on the “best damn video forum on the Internet.”

A huge “thank you” to the one and only Dylan Couper, without whom none of us would be having so much anxiety and fun. Tomorrow, (March 18) it will be three years since he put out feelers here for the first DV Challenge. He should be proud of what he started and what it has become.

Finally, thanks to all of you who entered a film for keeping the challenge going and making this one another entertaining success. As Dylan always says, you’re all winners just for completing films and submitting them here for everyone to see. It’s definitely a challenge, and you did it. Congratulations all around!

And now…..
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #2
Wrangler

Here are the results of the voting!

Honorable mention goes to the challenger whose film gets three or more votes.

DVC 12 Honorable Mention:

Dick Mays – “Does She Eat Grits?”
Bruce Broussard – “The Cookie”
Alex Chamberlain – “No Quarter”
Josh Chesarek – “Spare Change”
Rebecca Stern – “Character Sketch”

Thought-provoking, fun, solid entries. Great job, guys and gal!

2nd Runner Up:

Jesse Steele – “Go Change!”

Way to go, Jesse! Like the last line of your film says, “Yeah...that’s good.” :)

1st Runner Up:

Robert Martens – “The Chump”

Great technical achievement, use of theme, and humor from a much-appreciated veteran DVCer. Congratulations, Robert!

And now…

The WINNER of DVC #12:

Joseph Tran – “Metamorphosis”

Congratulations, Joseph, on a truly masterful entry and very well-deserved win! –by a landslide, I should add! E-mail your address to thedvchallenge@gmail.com and I’ll pass it along to Guy at dvestore.com for your prize.

Ladies and Gentlemen, it’s a wrap! Watch in a couple months or so for DVC 13. In the meantime, go back to your YouTube entries and make sure they’re tagged for both the DV Challenge group plus the program Benjamin Durin developed for the DV Challenge, generously hosted by Josh Chesarek. Thanks guys!

Tags: DVC12 DVC thedvchallenge dvinfo short film director video dv challenge dvchallenge filmmaker (Joseph, please add “winner” to your tags!)
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Way to go, Joseph! You sure as hell deserved it, that was an incredible film. I hope you skip the next few contests, you're making the rest of us look bad. Congratulations!

As for Robert Martins, I hope he appreciates second place. If I were him, I'd say thank you to all the other contestants for throwing me a vote. I'd say it's an honor to have even entered the same ballpark as the rest of these movies, and I'd explain how they're all like snowflakes; each one unique and with something to offer. I'd toss in a little parenthetical to that last statement, perhaps after the word snowflakes, something like (aww, isn't that sweet?) in my trademark 'cutesy' style, because I'd think it was funny.

Yep, I sure would be grateful if I were in that guy's shoes.

... and then Lorinda would edit her post, correcting the spelling of the name, making my entire goofy thank you post meaningless. Thank you for noticing, Ms. Norton.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Wrangler

LOL! I fixed it while you were busy giving me trouble, Robert! That's what you get for being online when I first posted! (I don't feel like an idiot or anything.) Forgive me....and again....Congratulations! :)
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #5
New Boot

Hey great job Joseph (and the rest of your team!), congratulations.

I also want to thank Lorinda for organizing this whole thing, and to all of the film makers who shared their work.
Although I have been a member of this forum for quite awhile now, I admit I had rarely come over. And I only knew of this particular contest because my collaborator ("Jay Kavi" on the boards) is a more active member.

Anyways, the support and good natured feel of this contest will surely bring me back for more, I am looking forward to learning more from all of you.

Once again, thanks, and I can't wait for the next projects, both my own, as well as seesing/hearing all of yours!

Good luck going forward!

Lee
(co-producer/co-director on "Guests)
Lee Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Joseph Tran,

Great win and well deserved. Now how did you get that bird to appear? Was that after effects? I really need to get some better software...

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Great Job Joseph. You definitely deserve it. And thanks Lorinda for helping out this time. I am looking forward to next the dvc.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Great job everybody, all the films were a kick to watch.

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thank you all for the votes! As you all know it feels so good to place when you are so passionate about your work. This piece really went well for me from day one and I can't thank the actors and crew enough!

Joseph, excellent film! I agree with the earlier post though! take a break! how are any of us supposed to win when you come at us with incredible pieces like that!! hahaha Great Job! I think I can say for all of us that I hope to collaborate with you in the future!

Robert, I loved you're piece as well! Such a clever concept! I believe I wrote on your feedback link that this is what shorts are all about! a great idea and shown with humor and charm. So much was said about who that character is just by the few lines and shots you gave. excellent job my friend!

Thank you all. This was a very tough DVC All the entries were so good! I am looking forward to the competition rising again for DVC 13!

13? maybe the topic should be unlucky?........
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #10
Major Player

Thank you, Jesse, I'm glad you're pleased with the film. I suspected your entry would be one of the favorites in this contest, and what do you know? Yours was a hilarious idea that I did not see coming. A job well done, hope to see you next time!

Speaking of which, I say we skip DVC 13. Like skyscrapers. We go straight to 14, and we can start talking about how great 13 was, how much fun we had, just to mess with people who don't frequent the DVC board. Remind them of how much they're missing by not joining in.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #11
Trustee

Excellent!

What a great bunch of films this time! All top notch! Mr. Tran, just excellent work. Master Martens, excellent placing after not being here for a bit. I enjoyed every movie! People keep getting better and better!

Great job running the show, Lorinda!
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi everybody!

It was so fun to enter the DVC12. It's been a pleasure... and I just can't wait to enter DVC13 ;-)
Congratulations to everybody... and Mr. Tran, your film was fantastic... what a well deserved win :-)

I hope to see you all again next time ;-)
Tor-Atle Kindsbekken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thank you, thank you to all!

I seem to be at a loss for words at the moment.

It has truly been a pleasure watching all of your films, and corresponding with all of you here on the DVInfo boards. There were so many, many creative ideas that I saw come to life on your films! Because of that, to be voted for by my fellow peers and filmmakers is truly an honor.

Lorinda, thanks for being a great captain on this ship. I know we all look forward to you taking the helm once again.

My fellow filmmakers, please continue to shoot your films and make your creative ideas come to life! I assure you I will do the same. Thank you for all of your feedback, experience, and inspiration!

See you on the boards!

~ Joseph
Joseph Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:34 PM   #14
Wrangler

Hey Joseph, congrats on winning! I enjoyed your film and the magic too! It was simple, elegant and well put together. Very nice!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge