Depth of Field at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old July 1st, 2008, 08:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Depth of Field

Nine finalists? That's not a very deep depth of field... I must say, I choose to sit one out and only nine of you bring the game. The WALL OF SHAME OVERFLOWETH.

Makes me wish I had taken my 20 year old Hi8 camera out and trounced the lot of you.

Was planning to wait for my Scarlett camera before doing another DVC, but I'm rethinking that. Maybe my trusty Hi8, a old Tamron 35mm-105mm zoom lens, and a homemade DOF adapter, will let me walk away with DVC14!

Anybody else see this article on making a homemade DOF adapter?

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dof/index.htm

Looks like a fun project.

I will be sure to review all the films and chime in with my sagacious comments based purely on envy. Congrats to those that made shorts for DVC13!
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Wrangler

There you are! And in rare form, I see. :)

You’ve been missed already; the forum is just too quiet for me without you and some of the other DVCers making noise...

Thanks, Dick. You’ll enjoy this round of films and we’ll enjoy reading your “sagacious” comments!
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Major Player

I see your Hi-8 and raise you my dad's old Betamovie camcorder (still works), and the old JVC dealie I got on eBay a few years back that's older than I am (featuring three state-of-the-art Saticon tubes; jealous?). Band together with all this old equipment and we could start a new movement on Youtube.

I have read that article, and a DOF adapter in general can be a fun project to tackle, but I personally prefer the Daniel Schweinert method. Mostly threaded together, with only a little bit of hot glue and JB Weld, it's very easy to assemble, and strikes me as a mite simpler and sturdier than the Media Chance method. I've no experience with that one, mind you, so don't quote me on that. Used my (admittedly static, not vibrating or rotating) adapter on my DVC 12 entry, though the nature of the set and my lack of experience don't give it the chance to shine. Really looks nice with some decent lighting. Don't forget to swing by the Alternative Imaging forum to read up on these things and ask any questions you have.

Glad to hear you're itching to return! You're good at this, I want to see more movies from you.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays View Post
Nine finalists? That's not a very deep depth of field...
It is all about shallow DoF ;-)

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays View Post
Anybody else see this article on making a homemade DOF adapter?

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dof/index.htm

Looks like a fun project.
I made this adaptor. Works like a champ. Unfortunately, it needs to be so far away from my camera (XL1s - stupid zoom making the t-stop change thingy) that It's currently on 3' rails that I made to handle just that... annoying.

Can't afford an achromat, so I was trying to work without one... failed.
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Major Player

What did you use for the "ground glass." The maxwell CD-R blank?
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:16 AM   #7
Trustee

yep, worked like a champ. My site is down until thursday/friday (domain lapsed :( ), but I have pix of it up there. I'll try to remember to post a link in here once it's back up.
Old July 4th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #8
Trustee

Here's the pix of it in the process of being made. They're bad cell phone pix, but it's what I had at the time:

http://yafiunderground.com/phpslides...=./Images/35mm

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge