Do we still have gas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Do we still have gas?

It's been a while since DVC13. I sold my Sony FX1 when I read the Scarlett info, and had to sit the last one out. But sitting on the sidelines is making me antsy. So I went out and bought an HV30 to have something to shoot my kids with.

There is only so much editing one can do of children running on the playground. When you start laying the dolly track down to get a shot of your kid traversing the monkey bars, the other parents get to acting a little weird. I'm thinking maybe it's getting close to time for another DV Challenge.

The turn out for DVC13 was a little light. Are we all just getting old and running out of gas? Or are you all just making too much money to work for art's sake?
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Major Player

I say bring on DVC14. I love a good challenge. We went silly last time but I think we wanna try to be serious again.

Bring it :)
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Wrangler

Lorinda and I have debated making the next one in October, just been busy making art... er... money... er... pocket change.
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Bring it

Newborn baby et al helped me find my way to the wall of shame on the last one. I have to say, that's been burning a hole in me lately. I'm feeling all "gassed up" for DVC 14.
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Got a whole crew raring to go on a project....
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm there !
This time I will be paying attention and barring the inevitable "vapor-lock" writers block, I hope to have an offering on this my first time around.

"...lights...camera...: "MEOW !" "...get that cat outa-here !..."
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #7
New Boot

Dvc14

I know I say this every time, but I am ready to go and hpe to actually finnish a project this time!
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Lorinda and I have debated making the next one in October, just been busy making art... er... money... er... pocket change.
bring on the scary stuff! sadly, my zombie lovers broke up, so i'll have to do a zombie film where the boy zombie demands his stuff back and the girl zombie tells him to stuff it....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
sadly, my zombie lovers broke up, so i'll have to do a zombie film where the boy zombie demands his stuff back and the girl zombie tells him to stuff it....
LOL, Now there's a log line. ;)

After a looooooooooooong break my team has told me we need to bust something out so I'm up for something scary too.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I was watching some of the entrys for DVC13 again and only just now noticed the blooper reels that were posted along with some of them.
Hilarious! I am so going to do that.
Can't wait.

BTW, I am already starting to stress about how I won't be able to think of anything when the theme is announced.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop taking my Prilosec...
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays View Post
When you start laying the dolly track down to get a shot of your kid traversing the monkey bars, the other parents get to acting a little weird.
Ha! You’ve been away from the Challenge waaay too long, Dick.

I totally relate–in a literal sense–to the pocket change for art. Last month, for $150 I shot and uploaded a 15 minute video of a guy throwing a pot at a farmer’s market.

Looking forward to DVC14 and something with a bit more meat... :)
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Dylan, Lorinda and other Big Cheeses:

Last year in October, we did scary theme. I'd kind of like to see that become a tradition so we can all sharpen our mayhem production value.....

Further ramblings:

Ideas to make sure it is original:

1. The production must refer to a current news topic

2. You could require a character name with a required carreer, like the 48 hour festivals.

Also, to allow time for proper build up of suspense, fear and loathing, a length of 5-6 minutes would be cool.

To allow time to really get a good production together, I would like to see a 3 week window to write and shoot.
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #13
Major Player

I would only add that if suspense or horror is a theme.... ANY short is challenged to build up suspense....an essential element to a good scary movie, and I agree that a little more time, a paucity though it might seem in the grand scheme of moviemaking... is better. I concur with Chris's comments.

To carry it a bit further.... a December theme (planned for New years) about renewal, hope or celebration? (Or is that a bad time to think about making movies?) A June-July Theme about Country and the things we celebrate on 4th of July?

Just a few times during the year we can plan ahead for generally.... the rest, well, catch as catch can....

My late night musings.

Last edited by Chris Swanberg; September 11th, 2008 at 12:49 AM.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
...we can plan ahead for generally.....
I don't know... plan ahead? That would take the fun out of the ten day turn around.

If you get an idea and the theme doesn't match you can always do what I did for #13 - shoot it anyway and submit it non-competitively.

I don't think I'll be able to manage joining for 14 though. I've got tons of travel for work this fall. But I'll be sure to watch and comment. I'm looking forward to whatever scary (or not) stuff y'all come up with.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #15
Major Player

I'm in if you get it going.
Kell Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge