DV CHALLENGE - Web Video Tips - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 26th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #16
Inner Circle

As I have posted before, QT 7 messes up Adobe After Effects, and I had to delete both, and reinstall AE. I won't be installing QT 7 again any time soon. Just so all know!

Mike
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #17
Trustee

as an editor using multiple pc's, i have qt7 installed without any problems at all, so ymmv... i use vegas, boris red, inscriber, etc., and a few oddball editing tools that most people don't run.

you guys with qt7 problems... is it only happening with pc's, not macs?

you can also encode h.264 with the nero encoder, it's a lot faster and the quality is probably better than what you get with the quicktime h.264 encoder... nero also comes with it's own h.264 media player.

the real point here is that the only quicktime internet codec that has acceptable quality is h.264, so if you can't handle that, use wmv, real, the new flash video codec from on2, or even the latest divx... there are also freeware real and wmv media players that are ad-free, and they don't phone home every time that they get opened.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #18
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Dan Euritt]... is it only happening with pc's, not macs?
QUOTE]

Best of my knowledge, yes. It just does not play well with some PC programs, like After Effects.

Mike
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:31 PM   #19
Major Player

By far the best encoding for filesize and file quality is XviD. Unfortunately, not a lot of people have it. I've been told you can get near-DVD quality video at about 1MBPS.

http://www.xvid.org/
Old October 2nd, 2005, 10:13 PM   #20
Air China Pilot

xvid is indeed very good but as you said, you have to install the proper plugin and the vast majority of people have no idea where to get it and how to install it.
Old October 13th, 2005, 03:52 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Web Video Walk Through

Could someone do a step by step to get video to web starting in FCP? I've got my video in FCP done and edited. Now I'd like to get the video on the web for family and friends to view. Thanks for the knowledge.
Tom Woodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #22
Major Player

Tom:

Visit this link in the DVinfo forum: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=47730

Go to post #8. I give the detailed instructions you're looking for. Please note that some people encode video for the web in fewer steps. I have found that what I've listed works best for me in the Mac environment.

Good luck!
Old October 26th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Web Video Walk Through

Thanks Jeff. I will try the technique out as soon as possible. This week seems to be my busiest week fo the year. I'll post back after I've tried it out.
Tom Woodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper

The most compatible and easy to use format is QuickTime.
Question: I've been exploring how to lay video into the webpage, I might be dreaming,

But is there an all in one software that will do three file sizes, and set up the video to be seen on the webpage, with play, pause etc to control the video?

I'm fully aware of flash, windows media, QT, etc. But I need a method that is quick and outputs the video with the above listed.

Like I said I may be dreaming.

I imagine http://www.ourmedia.org/ is using quicktime on thier site, it has the slider play and pause.
Old October 27th, 2005, 12:09 PM   #25
Wrangler

I'm a PPro user, so can't say for sure about other software -- I'd suspect, though, that one render at a time is all most or all of the NLE's will do. My technique for video that will go to multiple resolutions or formats is to render an uncompressed DV AVI file to use as a source for all the other renders. Saves a lot of time to avoid having to re-do all the color corrections, compositing etc etc. for every format.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 12:14 PM   #26
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Pete Bauer]I'm a PPro user....QUOTE]

Does PPro stand for some software? Googling didn't tell me.
Old October 27th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #27
Trustee

Must be Adobe Premiere Pro.
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #28
Major Player

I'm also having QT issues. I had to submit to the DV7 challenge with .wmv

The file size is relatively small (30 MB) for a three and a half minute film. (Including all subtitles and credits)

Still working on getting QT to work properly.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge