thedvchallenge.com at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old August 8th, 2005, 10:49 PM   #1
Wrangler

thedvchallenge.com

Not 100% complete yet, but very close.
Big thanks to Keith Loh for building this in a rush!

www.thedvchallenge.com
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Cool - nice job.Though I was dissappointed that you were clothed in the toilet shot :)
Old August 9th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Site looks great, very nice! Personally I'm glad Dylan IS clothed.

Noticed that the rules have changed, and now say the credits don't count toward the film time. What will be the start and stop time points?

Thanks guys.

Mike
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #4
Trustee

Yeee Hawwww! Fire up the buggy ma, we're goin' ta town for fresh tape!

Excellent!. I'm in.

Are we perhaps going to have a way to archive anyones work? I think a running showing of the top 2 or 3 would be cool. Storage space permitting.

Very nice work and I look forward to the next one. Bring it on, Oh yeah.

Comment, question. Are the forth coming T-shirts dated for each challenge? You might consider a slightly different design for participants, winners and folks that just want to buy them to support the effort. They could all be the same shirt to start with but have the printer add the contestants on the back, like concert dates on rock t-shirts for those that participate with their home listed. I think it would be cool to have that on a shirt, especially since it would show world wide participation.

Just leave an open spot the shirts to add "participant" or "Runner-Up", etc.

What cha' think?

Also, yeah, I know, my wife says I'm windy too...will there be retro shirts? Ones for the past participants (for a nominal fee naturally)?

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #5
Contributor

Excellent Site Kieth and Dylan!

It's interesting to see how a thing like this can develop so quickly.

One note: I don't really want to be the one to bring up the issue of political correctness - but if one of the squiggly dudes had something looking like breasts or long hair or something, maybe a few of the women in our midsts might feel better represented ... just a thought...eh...Where's my beer?...

Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing!

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Air China Pilot

Believe it or not, the dude on the right began as a woman but turned out looking like a dude.

In v2 I will try and make him more into a her.
Old August 9th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kohl
One note: I don't really want to be the one to bring up the issue of political correctness - but if one of the squiggly dudes had something looking like breasts or long hair or something, maybe a few of the women in our midsts might feel better represented ... just a thought...eh...Where's my beer?...
That's funny! I sure hope you found your beer, Daniel. :)

On the main page it says, "Sign up or stay home." Now, there's a succinct message for everyone--including anyone who might feel under-represented. Actually, I'd be shocked if anyone around here made a fuss over those "dudes" on the Web site. Hopefully, DV folks are concerned with more important things--like having fun with the challenge.

By the same token, if Keith wants to try his hand again at making a "her" that is certainly his business. ;)

You did a nice job, Keith & Dylan.
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren
Cool - nice job.Though I was dissappointed that you were clothed in the toilet shot :)
I'm thinking that is where Dylan does all of his dialog recording. The bowl is a type of resonant chamber that adds a special something to the mix. ;-)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #9
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
I'm thinking that is where Dylan does all of his dialog recording. The bowl is a type of resonant chamber that adds a special something to the mix. ;-)

-gb-
Obviously, after seeing his last entry in DVC2, it's clear he's very familar with the "resonant chamber" :)
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:54 PM   #10
Major Player

Wonderful site, especially for a so-called "rush" job. Let me ask the stupid question, does the site's existence mean we can sign up now? Step three says "Log in to dvinfo.net communities, and post a notice of intent to compete in our current entry thread", but I see that thread hasn't been started yet...

Yes, this DOES mean I intend to sign up, if only to become a permanent fixture on the Wall of Shame (I trust this wall will have photos of all the no-shows looking forlorn and ashamed on it? ;) ). My mindset is best expressed by this quote from the About page of the new site:

"He found one of the most difficult things in making a short film is to just force yourself to do it. If there isn’t some kind of motivation or challenge, then it usually just doesn’t happen."

I'm like that with EVERYTHING, not just movies. I usually have trouble finding motivation, but a contest like this would be perfect. There's an entry fee I'd hate to waste, and countless forum members I'd hate to disappoint...all the reason in the world to get off my rear and do something for a change!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #11
Major Player

Nice job guys... hurrah.

My only concern... did the site say upload a Quicktime file? eeek. Can't do WMV?
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #12
Major Player

good work!
I've been to Keith's site many times and I've always liked it. If I didn't have a volenteer web designer I'd have to hire him do my upcoming site.

I am very much looking forward to the next challange. As a matter of fact we're assembling an assortment of props and costumes and I have already doubled the size of my crew.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #13
Wrangler

is there a wall of shame to hang dylan on, if he continues to procrastinate on the promised wall of shame??
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #14
Air China Pilot

Thanks for the feedback, testing and comments everyone. I'm sure there's stuff still to be fixed and added as the challenge continues. Send any technical comments to me and any content stuff to Dylan.
Old August 11th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #15
Wrangler

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ok, time to answer questions:

If it was representative of the video community, there would be twenty men, and one woman on the main page. :)

There will be an official sign up thread right after I post this. Sorry, I'm moving this week and things have been hectic.

I've basically pardoned the Wall Of Shamers of the past, and starting up a new Wall Of Shame from this point on.

Micheal, doubled your crew eh? Me too. Next time I'm hiring a camera assistant. :)

Barry, you can post whatever you want, QT, .wmv, etc... We just suggest QT. However, if the judges can't see it because of Mac/PC issues, it isn't our fault.

Regarding t-shirts, at least for now, they will all be the same. Different versions in the future? Maybe, but then they'd be pre-order, and more expensive since I wouldn't get a volume discount. Previous top winners will get free t-shirts courtesy of yours truly, I think it is only fair.

Did I miss anything?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge