My first feature film - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old March 28th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: My first feature film

Kevin,

Thanks for the link. I am just now investigating funding and drafting a private placement memorandum and your link is very helpful. However, it appears the law may soon be changing to allow a small investment amount, (under $2,000) from non-accredited investors.

Which Crowdfunding Bill Will It Be? - NYTimes.com

I will probably wait until the new law is in affect before raising money for Uncle Tom's cabin.

BTW. I came to the site because I was thinking, isn't it about time for a new DV Challenge? Then I find nothing going on in the group; we must be all getting old. Then I see this old Uncle Tom's Cabin thread, and wanted to thank Jeremy, Lorinda, Guy and others who helped us make this film. DVDs will be in the mail soon, I promise! I got sidetracked trying to keep from going bankrupt, but as soon as I get my filmmaker game on, I am looking forward to the day I can do it full time, hang with Brad and Clooney at the the Oscar party, etc. Or at least make it out to NAB to hang with Dylan.

The kickstarter supporters will soon get their short film on DVD, (I promise) but here's the trailer to tide you over until then.

Uncle Tom's Cabin Trailer - YouTube

When are we going to have another DV challenge?

Dick

Last edited by Dick Mays; March 28th, 2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: pretty up
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #17
Major Player

Glad I could help. The trailer looks great! Can't wait for my DVD.

I hope it turns out well for you and you get the chance to make the feature. It's a lot different than working on shorts.
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #18
Major Player

You got that right. When something is going to be worth money, there is a LOT more to everything. It is a learning experience. I might just have to sell the script and let someone who has been there do it.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #19
Major Player

I've been working on a feature that we shot almost 18 months ago. We're now at the audio stage, and hopefully the end is site. But, man, it's a lot more work. Definitely a fantastic learning experience ranging from working with people to locations to food. It's certainly not, "hey, do you have this weekend free?"

We used kickstarter to fund it too, so I know just how valuable of tool that can be, as you experienced with your project.

Here's the trailer for it.
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #20
Trustee

I think the trailer is well-edited. Two observations:

1. The night scenes (especially the ones at the beginning) are a bit under exposed and could do with a bit of grading, at least to bring out the faces.
2. The background score isn't helping to raise tension, IMO. Try to get the audio on par with the video, which I think is great.
3. Lovely acting, as far as I can tell from the trailer.
4. I know it might be rather late in the day, but I strongly feel everything can have a 'unified' look to it with some color grading. The individual shots look fine, but there is a disjointed feel that could be corrected. At the very least, the trailer can be graded and tested.
5. Love the title design at the end.

Making a feature film is never easy, no matter what the budget. Well done, and all the best!
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Doyle View Post
But, man, it's a lot more work. Definitely a fantastic learning experience ranging from working with people to locations to food. It's certainly not, "hey, do you have this weekend free?"
LOL. Yeah, taking on a feature length film require a different skill set than talking people into a weekend of work. Glad you were able to get yours completed. Looks suspenseful, and great titles, like the man said. Any thoughts on distribution? I am working on a private placement memorandum, and under the Distribution section I have a big blank. Keep us posted on your progress!
Dick Mays is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge