DVC3--I'm finished and Posting Today! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 10th, 2005, 05:18 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kohl
This is kind of what I figure stage diving is like - only there are a lot less bruises and broken bones when the crowed parts.
Oh if only the theme was stagediving, I caught a shot of my housemate taking out some unsuspecting kids at a gig last week... he thought they could take his weight, he was wrong.
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #17
Wrangler

I came up with my theme and wrote a treatment that would set it at 7-10 minutes, over 6 locations, with me playing 5 different parts (yes, I'm doing it solo again). Then I slapped myself, cut it down to one location, three pages, and me only playing two parts.
Old September 10th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #18
Contributor

Did you film you slapping yourself?

I can't wait to see your entry.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I´m sooooo late...

Argh... I had this really nice idea which involved some wonderful outdoors in Maastricht, Netherlands (where I currently live), but the weekend presented itself in thunders and rain, so I spent the whole day polishing a new concept.

Just hope it holds and that when I wake up tomorrow I don´t find it too dull. Will be shooting tomorrow, and post-producing during the week.

Must... finish... script... Must... finish... script.

Cheers,

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Well i'm done..... Just finished rendering the Quicktime.

Is 13mb ok for the small version?
Phillip Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #21
Major Player

Ooh.. last time I was basically finished at this time.. now I have only like half... I keep thinking that I can do it tomorrow... but there are like 5 days left.. and that's like... an eternity... anyway.. I will deliver "something". To my surprise there sprung up a lot of ideas about cameras. I thought it would be hopeless but it's not. This is gonna be real fun and exciting. And yes, you are gonna be the first one to experience my first speaking role in a movie. Yesterday I did my first acting out on the street. Even though it was empty it was "scary". Today went a lot better cause most was inside and it was non speaking scenes outside. Next time I think I am gonna attach some actors...
Fredrik-Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #22
Trustee

My update:
OK, it's 9 minutes away from being Monday morning and I have to say I am pretty happy with todays shooting. The second daughter turned out to be pretty good and seemed to actually enjoy it once she got into it and found out nobody was going to laugh at her during shooting.

She did some damage to her left knee a few weeks back but hobbled her way through it and I think I have enough to work with without limping.

I have some minor shots and the final shot to shoot tomorrow as well as some sound effects. So far I have edited everything I have shot and have my titles and the music laid in. Tomorrow night I should be done and on the way to final color correction and any other effects.

Should even have a sample WMV file by this time tomorrow. I will probably wait to post it until later, toward the deadline so I canmake any corrections if needed.

Sean (almost done) McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
Should even have a sample WMV file by this time tomorrow. I will probably wait to post it until later, toward the deadline so I canmake any corrections if needed.

Sean (almost done) McHenry
Sean, congratulations on being close to finished! That must be satisfying.

We just finished shooting yesterday evening. Today, sometime, I will capture all the video and lay a rough cut down on the timeline. Since the entire short was shot in front of a green screen this time, I have many a background mattes and a handful of animations yet to do. When is the deadline? :)
Old September 12th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Guys I have an urgent question. Something I didnt think about while shooting yesterday. But in some of the shots you can the Kodak mark on a disposable camera used as a prop. Is it a problem? If this is a problem I think I am screwed
:(
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tyler
Guys I have an urgent question. Something I didnt think about while shooting yesterday. But in some of the shots you can the Kodak mark on a disposable camera used as a prop. Is it a problem? If this is a problem I think I am screwed
I doubt you have a problem. The book "Da Vinci code" mentioned Nivea Cream without being assoicated with/making a deal and it gave Nivea a lot of free publicity. I bet that Kodak will be greatful that you show up their trademark. :) A side note is that I think Nivea now sponsor the movie...
Old September 12th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Ok good. Because I pretty much don't have a chance to reshoot. Especially since its already monday. Thanks for the quickbook. I shall now start editing
:D
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
I agree with Fredrik. If you were extracting the Kodak logo and using that in someway separate from their product, that would be a problem. In this case, especially since this is a contest whose major purpose is simply to get out a shoot (and not to make money), your okay.

How many movies show cars with their logo, or the nike swoosh logo, or a pepsi in someone's hand. Yes, some of those are blatant product placements. But, in most Indy movies, those are simply props that the producer had available.
Old September 12th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
From a moral/ethical standpoint? I agree with the other two guys, and think you've done nothing wrong. I also agree from a practical standpoint in that for THIS particular usage, I doubt there will be any issues, though Dylan would have to chime in to answer that one definitively.

However, I'd like to point everybody to a nice page I found a few days ago that dispels some common "knowledge" about copyright law: http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Honestly, I'm not sure what qualifies the author of that site to offer those bulleted points, but I'd be careful nonetheless.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #29
Major Player

What he mentions on that site doesn't really apply to this case. Actually I am more certain that it's ok. A practical example. Say Coca-Cola is involved in a scandal. A news team goes to Coca-Cola HQ and tapes their logo and wants interview et c. IF Coca-Cola COULD sue that newsteam under copyright act they most definately would! I have never heard of such case. On the other hand if I use coca-cola logo to make fred-cola in the same font I will definately get a lawsuit for violating their trademark.

Of course this also applies to a country's law. Some countries don't care... another care too much...
Old September 12th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #30
Major Player

All right, well, I just thought I'd offer what little information I have, in case something in there was pertinent to this situation. If you don't think it's something to worry about, then don't mind me.

Can't wait to see Jeff's film in any event!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge