DVC #3 "IRIS The KILLER" - Feedback - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 19th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Wasn`t too sure what the spitting in a can was all about as I`m from over the big sea in UK but after a couple of watches, I got the jist of it. Loved the videography and humour. Especially the guy repeating "you know a murderer ?". For a while I thought IRIS was the guy who was talking about him, nice to see it wasn`t an obvious ending.

I`ve entered in the comp as well and when I saw this I thought "bugger, I`m up against this". Excellent short, we`ve not seen the others yet, but I bet this is up in the top few.
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
Bradley, I totally dug the title, I think the rev cymbal (I belive that's what it's called) was the right decision straight to black not a fade out. I think raising the volume a little more on the rev leading to black would have made even more of an effect.

Also from a sound standpoint I scored my movie with soundtrack loops as well, a fun thing you can do in garageband is create your own loops after which you can lay soem other loops on top and even if you're using 80% stock loops with the noticble new one, you won't run the risk of sounding like everyone else.

All of your shots were really well lit and I enjoyed watching your movie. I think someone had commented on bringing the stories together a little better and I agree with that. I mean the story about a story thing is cool but being able to tie the two together is even cooler.

over all i think it's a great job.
Thank you Nick! I apprecaite your comments.

Have you worked with Garage Band a lot? It is a new software for me and seems to offer much in the way of music. Your idea of creating a loop and topping it with another loop is perfect and something I will try.
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren
Thanks so much for the info - I've used the manual WB as well with great results - yours looked great as well.
Your welcome Stephen and am looking forward to your film. Do you know when it will be released?
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Paul
Wasn`t too sure what the spitting in a can was all about as I`m from over the big sea in UK but after a couple of watches, I got the jist of it. Loved the videography and humour. Especially the guy repeating "you know a murderer ?". For a while I thought IRIS was the guy who was talking about him, nice to see it wasn`t an obvious ending.

I`ve entered in the comp as well and when I saw this I thought "bugger, I`m up against this". Excellent short, we`ve not seen the others yet, but I bet this is up in the top few.
Thank you Andrew-

Yes the spitting (chewing) thing is something quite common "round these parts"...lol. Am looking forward to seeing your film too.
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #35
Trustee

Last I heard, Dylan was releasing them about 5 per day in the order they were received. If you look at the thread showing who was officially listed in and count by 5s, you ought to be close.

Mine should hit Wednesday.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
OK, one quick reason I got out of TV - by request.

Ah, I'll start a thread someplace and point you to it later. Maybe I'll write a book about it someday.

More later on that.

Sean
Sean- I'll look forward to more on that. Will it be a rant?

In the meatime, I've got Wednesday marked on my calendar.
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #37
Trustee

Sort of a rant anyway. Maybe I will write a short book on my years in television. Anyway, look in Totem Pole:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...431#post361431

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #38
Trustee

Haven't really used soundtrack all that much, but that's more because I get burned out quickly and well, that's about it. Fortunately with this contest I didn't have time to get burned out.
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Bradley,
I loved your short. Not liked it, not enjoyed it, I loved it. It was excellent in every aspect, especially the story. I was in good hands the entire time I was watching. Also, one thing I've realized in life is that you can never, ever judge a person. You do not know their life and where they are coming from. I liked that theme that this man was written off as a crazy murderer, but in fact traded in his sniper rifle for a camera and became an excellent photographer. Wonderful. Congratulations. No matter what happens you've made something you can really be proud of. I too find it unfortunate to see something so strong so early in the competition (but I wouldn't have it any other way).
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Stookey
Bradley,
I loved your short. Not liked it, not enjoyed it, I loved it. It was excellent in every aspect, especially the story. I was in good hands the entire time I was watching. Also, one thing I've realized in life is that you can never, ever judge a person. You do not know their life and where they are coming from. I liked that theme that this man was written off as a crazy murderer, but in fact traded in his sniper rifle for a camera and became an excellent photographer. Wonderful. Congratulations. No matter what happens you've made something you can really be proud of. I too find it unfortunate to see something so strong so early in the competition (but I wouldn't have it any other way).
Wow Mitchell- Thank you very much...this means a lot to me especially coming from the DVC#2 veteran and runner up winner with "Monday At The Office"!

You nailed it...at least the overall thoughts/impressions I was going for.

I really appreciate you taking the time and am looking forward to seeing your new film.
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #41
Major Player

That was a pleasure to watch. To me it was suspenseful and hilarious. The cinematography was superb and the actors were great. Great job. I was very interested the entire time.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:43 AM   #42
Major Player

Thank you Richard...very much appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed the film.
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:45 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
Haven't really used soundtrack all that much, but that's more because I get burned out quickly and well, that's about it. Fortunately with this contest I didn't have time to get burned out.
lol Nick...I hear ya. Looking forward to seeing your film too.
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #44
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley L Marlow
Camera Settings: Wanted a cool/cold look so set the white balance manually on the Canon XL1S to an off blue (before going up there). Not totally blue like what you would see with mixing outdoor lighting and indoor WB. The weather was only agreeable late at night and early morning-which was most fortunate. Shot the majority of this in full manual mode and tried to keep the exposure between 1-2 stops under.
Really enjoyed this one. As a long time Canon XL1-S user, I knew the footage right away. I would have loved to have seen what the interior dialogue scenes would look like shot in Frame Movie Mode or using a Tiffen Black Pro Mist 1/2 Filter. I think it would have taken a bit of the video look off. That camera produces some really nice pictures placed in the hands of someone who gets to know it. You've got a good eye. Maybe if you have some time perform a few tests for your next shoot and see how you like the look. Oh and try -3db gain too.

Would have liked to also see what some of the cuts looked like with the audio rolled back a few frames before the cut. A few J-cuts can give the view anticipation of what they're about to see, for example hearing the water before you actually see it. Hearing the characters dialogue or footsteps before you see them. Just overlap a bit of the upcoming scene's audio with the next cut...makes editing flow...lets the viewer concentrate on story.

I always shoot with at least 5 seconds of pre-roll to allow for J cuts and at the tail always allow 5 seconds of post-roll for L cuts...fades etc...

Hope this helps,
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Really liked your short Bradley, but you have ruined me. That twisted fates line stuck in my head all day. When I went to lunch, just as the food arrived my cell phone rang. I immediatly shouted "twisted fates". Everyone I was with looked perplexed. I just laughed. Good job!

Last edited by Sean Buck; September 20th, 2005 at 05:57 PM.
Sean Buck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge