DVC3 "Still Life" Feedback - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 21st, 2005, 07:38 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Jeff,

I was impressed with the light, up-beat look of your short. The mattes were very well done, and the concept, although simple, was very well laid out.

I really liked it - It's a true pleasure to watch.

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 10:27 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Awesome effects! Really simple story that works.
Tyler Baptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:09 AM   #18
Trustee

Very nice!

Hi Jeff,
This was very very cool, and very well done. You are extremely clever in the way you pulled off the special fx, I watched it a couple of times and then frame-by-frame to try and pick it apart and study your technique.

I also liked the way you used the colors, and the way you softened the image a bit - at first fram, it reminded slightly of a Mentos commercial - but then it got very cool.

Great job. I loved it.
-Jon
Old September 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM   #19
Major Player

I've just had the opportunity to begin watching the shorts from yesterday. Your movie kept my interest through the end! I loved the old, yellowish film look and of course your VFX. How much time did it take you to do the frame by frame matte in AE?

When the picture taker was trying to snap a shot of the guy on the bike, and having difficulty so he pressed the release several times, I thought you might pan back and see multiple, stepped, freeze-framed images of the guy on the bike.

You mentioned something in a different post about your friend's piano playing and how you where a little disappointed. If I had not remembered your comments in that pst, I would have felt the music was intended to seem somewhat choppy to accentuate the mode in your movie.

Overall, good job!
Old September 22nd, 2005, 02:07 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks. The frame by frame matte took about one hour total. The shots that required it weren't very long, although I did have to come back and correct some off the masks after my friend pointed some problems out to me.
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 03:23 PM   #21
Trustee

You're just lucky you weren't masking it the other way. You got to cut a hole in a frozen image. In fact, as a shortcut, you might have been able to export a frame to Photoshop, matte it there, with a feathered edge (maybe?) and bring that single frame back in for x seconds. Might have saved some time?

Just a thought I just had.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 03:28 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Well the mask is animated though because my actor waves his hand in front of the kid in the one scene. The other scene was really easy to do. The photoshop thing wouldve worked for the soda part, but the kid walking required an animated mask.
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge