DVC3 "Snap" - Feedback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 22nd, 2005, 09:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVC3 "Snap" - Feedback

Looks like we are up today. Just wanted to give everybody a little heads up and an opportunity to leave a little feed back.

We wanted to make people laugh. And we hope you did. We knew there would be some serious ideas so we wanted to go to the extreme opposite.

This little project was therapeutic for us also. It was nice to poke a little fun at some of our clients..."I want a John Woo standoff moment or I want a girl to float in the air Matrix style but I only have $150 in the budget or the script is weak so just show some more flesh, sex sells!"

Anyway, we shot in 1 day, cut in 1 and a half, and did the effects in 3 hours. We shot with an XL2 as the A camera and used an XL1S as the B camera in the action sequence.

Let me know what you think. I am open for good and bad. Some things were intentional, so I might be able to clarify if you have any questions.
Sean Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:16 AM   #2
Trustee

I loved the writing in your film, I also recognize the uh "client" issues that you're talking about. But the matrix action scenes and the mixture of all the other fight scenes as well were really great.

The only small issue I had with it was I guess I felt like it left it a little flat. Maybe it's because I didn't know who to cheer for, I don't know. Either way I think the short was awesome, and I'm glad someone incorporated the camera cell phones.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:17 AM   #3
Wrangler

Oh my!! What a romp, Sean!!!

I could hardly believe what I was watching. My mind kept going back and forth between the story (good story!) and how very, very well done it was from a technical standpoint. I need to see it again.

The shootout was the most fun for me--even if it did last quite a while. As a paintball fan (NOT participant) I'm thinking this looks like a much less painful way to play! And the correlation between phones and guns all the way through your movie...too funny.

Beautiful images. Loved the shots done with the dolly. And were there some stabilizer rig shots in there too? It seems like you used every tool from your bag of tricks!

Because I'm a "girl" I'll pass on making comments concerning other aspects of your movie ;), but by golly, this was great entertainment and really impressive!

That "drive-by" in the beginning..... :)
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Nick, I agree there is a jumble of characters. We had a few people told that they had the lead job on accident. So on the day of the shoot all these people showed up thinking they were the lead. We had to rewrite the scenes as we shot them and that does not always play out to the strength of the overall story. Thank you for your comments.

Hey Lorinda. The shootout was long because we wanted to get a few gags in and also prep for an upcoming project for a client that requires a big action sequence. We did use a dolly and a jib arm but that was it. All of the action stuff was hand held. All of the steadycam guys were busy that day. I'm glad you like the drive by. That was my Boyz In The Hood tribute. My neighbors got a little freaked seeing this lowrider make about 20 passes by their house. Oh well.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:14 AM   #5
Wrangler

that was a hoot! i liked the matrix/crouching tiger touch with the vixen flipping over and shooting her would-be assassin. or is that more like a tribute to princess fiona in "shrek?"

this is the most purely fun movie i've seen yet. everyone really seemed to be having a good time in its making. amazing amount of work (and play) went into it....

i went to a little liberal arts school (only 1500 kids), and every year, the senior class played this game (this was the non-cellphone version, because they weren't invented yet). very paranoia-inducing.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Meryem. I too played the assassination game in college. Everyone had a blast working on this project. It was even more fun to watch the people around us as we shot it. The school girl scene almost caused a riot. We had the UPS truck and FedEx truck circling the block for a half hour. People came out of their shops and a small group of carpool guys getting off of work hung around with eyes bulging. I still get people stopping me outside of our building asking me about the girls.

The post guys had a good time too. My friend who did the sound pass for me couldn't stop laughing at the little sound F/X that he added in especially the bathroom scene. But that was what this was all about. Giving all of the creative people an opportunity to do something without some dude that has no clue as to what is creative coming in and changing everything. It was a real group effort.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Sean!

Fantastic work! If you wanted to elicit some laughter...it definitely worked for me. The amount of time you spent filming vs the final quality output was amazing.

Of course, being a guy, I have to laugh at how easily we are stupified by a pretty face. Especially when it might be bending over...lol. Such an easy target.
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 12:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Bradley. I was amazed at what my neighbor and friends sister-in-law was willing to do once I said "short film contest". I actually had to pull back a little on the costumes that they brought. Glad you liked none the less.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 12:20 PM   #9
Trustee

From a purely artistic point of view, you didn't HAVE to pull back on their costumes...
Old September 22nd, 2005, 12:55 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Sean,

Hillarious.

Witful, good-looking, well-cut. And fun, fun, fun to watch.

Us guys are indeed easy easy targets for a pretty... humm... face.

Good luck, and all the best for your work - see you in DVC4, I hope.

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:07 PM   #11
Space Hipster

I very much liked the "let me introduce you to a couple of my friends scene" - very funny moment.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:46 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
From a purely artistic point of view, you didn't HAVE to pull back on their costumes...
Hahahahaha!
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:53 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hugo - Thank you for the kind words. I think we will be able to enter DVC4 depending on the start date. I think we will take a different approach in that one which will allow some of the other team members to showcase their abilities.

Stephen - That quickly became one of my favorite moments. Outside of that one line, that scene like most of the short was shot MOS. Once we put all of the foley and F/X I could not stop laughing. Glad to make you laugh.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 03:34 PM   #14
Trustee

OK, I suppose it would be wrong of me to use stills from your video as wallpaper for my PC...

Nicely done. Great concept. The Prof reminds me a bit of Ben Stein however in "Ferris Buellers Day Off". "Bueller, Bueller, Bueller".

Pretty good. I liked it. And it was probably a lot of work. I also can't imagine the looks the young lady got walking through the campus area dressed like that. Around here, she might have been attacked by rabid femenists for supporting stereotypes. Kudos to her for her carryiing it off. Frankly Kudos for everyone, I'm buying. Oatmeal Rasin for you, Chocolate Chip for you... (silly Kudos ref)

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 06:36 PM   #15
Major Player

Sean,

I'm with Nick. No more "pulling back" on the costumes! This must have been fun to shoot. How many hours did it take to get all the footage?

Your movie gave me a lot of good ideas. I think for DVC4 I will have an open casting call for "Vampires and Vixens."

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge