DVC4 discussion/thoughts/suggestions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old November 7th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #1
Wrangler

DVC4 discussion/thoughts/suggestions

Hey Guys and Gals!
Sorry, I've been trying to catch up with editing, and pre-production on a couple projects, and have just been swamped. I'm still swamped, but I'm itching to do DVC4 (as are many of you I'm sure).

Let's start off with the date. Everyone needs at least two or three weeks of notice (heh, especially yours truly!) which puts us at December 1st. I'll be sad to abondon the horror theme (unless you all want it). I'm tempted to make a theme announcement much earlier with a Chrissmassy theme in mind (yes I know what it is).

I'm so far behind in stuff that I'm putting myself on the Wall Of Shame for not getting my DVC3 film up by now.

So far everyone has been pretty happy with the DVC shirts. I'm mostly happy, but not totally. I need suggestions on the following. 1) I'm not printing on a cheap shirt no matter how much money it saves. Those cost about double what a basic shirt does and I'd still like something even better, but for around the same price. If anyone out there knows much about shirts, and where to get sexy high quality ones at a reasonable price, please let me know. 2) There will be a slight logo update, and possibly one on the front, although I'm not sure. 3) There are online places that will do all your printing and sales for you, if anyone has experience with one, please LMK. Packing and shipping takes more than a little bit of time, as you might imagine.

The format/rules, etc... Seems like the changes we made from DVC2 to DVC3 were well recieved, how did you guys like the extended time limit? I think it worked. I was very glad that you all had titles this time. :)

I've had some very generous offers for help from some of you, which I'd like to accept, for those of you who have, please give me a shout and let me know what you'd like to do.

Umm... thats enough to get the ball rolling anyway.

Feel free to drop in any other thoughts/suggestions/criticisms!

D
Old November 7th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Please don't do a Christmas theme.
Chad Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #3
Wrangler

Not a Chrismas theme, but a holiday/seasonal related theme.
Old November 7th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #4
Major Player

I like the Christmas theme. Never miss a chance to dress up in my elf costume!
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #5
Major Player

A Christmas theme that goes Horror-bly wrong theme. j/k

My first thought was to do something fun that will draw a huge distinction between film makers above the snow belt and film makers below the snow belt.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #6
Trustee

If the theme is released on 1st decembre, I will not be able to participate. I would like to suggest you the decembre 15th. We will have to finish the movie for the 23, which is just before everyone party. We will be all in the christmas mood!
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #7
Major Player

I don't mind having the theme early and a little more time to work. I have exams once a week in december so it will be tough but it's all a matter of priority... and well.. I know what my priority is :) Having it finished by the 23rd sounds perfect.

I don't mind a holiday/christmas theme. I doubt that we will get any snow here since something weird has happened with the weather. Nowadays, if we get snow, it snows in the morning and is all gone by the afternoon. So anything that gets me in christmas mood is cool.
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #8
Wrangler

Whatever the theme is, I'll work with it. Bring it on!

But my opinion differs from the previous two posts on the timing. The week before Christmas is a busy time for a lot of people as they prepare for the holidays. If we do a DVC in December, I'd rather see it earlier in the month.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
The week before Christmas is a busy time for a lot of people as they prepare for the holidays. If we do a DVC in December, I'd rather see it earlier in the month.
I ment that it would be nice to have the theme earlier and maybe complete it over 2 or 3 weeks... :)
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #10
Wrangler

i agree that earlier in december is better. if the entries come due the 23rd, who will want to be judging films on christmas eve or christmas day? which would push the whole judging/critiquing/sharing thing into limbo.....

i like a holiday theme and already have an idea which would fit my style and also just about any holiday theme......get us in the mood....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #11
Wrangler

Part of the challenge of The DV Challenge is the time limit. Dylan has already relented once and increased the time to shoot a 3 minute short to 8 days. Perhaps he will offer us a Christmas present and extend the time, but I wouldn't count on it! Besides, I'll bet I'm not the only one who would simply procrastinate if given more time!

If it was just me, I wouldn't care...if a particular Challenge happens when I'm not available, I'll just skip it and wait for the next one. I skipped the first two. I just think that putting the deadline close to the holidays will be a bad time for many -- if not most -- videographers, actors, judges, and impatient family members. For that reason, I'd rather see DVC#4 either in early December for the same 8 day duration, or failing that, wait until early January (but that's too long to wait, eh?).
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #12
Major Player

I wanted to say a word about the time limit. A longer one would be nice. those who are prone to procrastinate can do so if they wish. After all, time management is an impotant filmmaking skill.

Personally I attend school full/part time, work forty hours a week, have a wife and two children under the age of five. I can do a movie within the time frame- I've done two of these so far- but I have no time for reshooting, and if the script takes me more than the first 24 hours, as it did last time, I am screwed. I never procrastinate. I'm already late on everything.

However, I understand that many, if not most of the participants are not in a situation like mine, and I do not expect the challange to cater to my needs.
I will say, though, that a longer time period might well lead to some more refined films, and a more pleasant viewing experiance for everyone involved.

Making a film in a week or three weeks, or three years is still a massive challange. I think the longer time limit might actually make it more of a challenge in some ways. For instance, if you put off starting your film for two and a half weeks and your competing against someone who utilized every available minute, there's a good chance you'll suffer for, and learn a valuble lesson as a result:
carpe diem.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #13
Major Player

If it aint broke

Hmmmmm 7 days, or 8, I think that's why it's called The DV Challlenge and not The DV Whenever I Get Around To It Film Fest. It's about staying up way too late and editing until your eyes bleed. It's about calling in any favor you can and making promises that you know you'll dread repaying. It's about fighting off interventions and getting off your @$$ and producing something. I don't think I got more than 4 hours of sleep per night during DVC #3 (my cherry) and in retrospect I loved every minute of it. Dylan don't change a thing, you're money baby.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 09:39 PM   #14
Major Player

Another vote not to change it.
I'm a perfectionist. If you give me three weeks, I'd spend three times the hours in editing. I don't want another divorce, since I am very happy with my current wife. Taking one week away from my wife and three kids (six and under) is about all I can commit to the project!
I can't do 48 hour contests, so the one week timeframe is perfect for me.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #15
Trustee

I'm all in favor of it staying like it is. I understand the pressures in wanting to make sure everyone can do their best if they only had one more day. Well, we've done OK so far and the quality of the entries has gone up significantly with the last minor change. Give us too much time and we'll simply drink more. I think we've got a track record for that too.

Anyway, I like it the way it is but will be involved no matter what. Looking forward to a "Creepy Christmas" theme. You guys know by now that no matter what the theme, I'm going to find the dark side of it.

Bring it on. Full speed ahead.

I do have to note that I am going to see a surgeon next week to consult on my torn rotator cuff surgery. (no set date for the surgery yet) I may be shooting this one from the hospital but I'll be editing no matter where I am. Heck, the anesthesia just might bring on a few ideas.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge