DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   How's the progress? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/62615-hows-progress.html)

Mark Utley March 11th, 2006 05:48 PM

How's the progress?

How's everyone's progress coming? Do you have your idea yet? When will you start shooting?

I've got my idea. I'll need to order a couple things off eBay so I'll have to wait until they arrive to start shooting. In the meantime, I'm gonna get writing.

Aaron Koolen March 11th, 2006 06:01 PM

Got my idea, but thinking it's a little complicated now, so dunno what I'll do. Might be time for a rethink already :)

Kris Holodak March 11th, 2006 07:17 PM

I spent today scouting locations. I think I walked 6 miles. I'm going to have to figure something out when I've actually got gear with me. I just hope next weekend is as nice as today was.

Mike Teutsch March 11th, 2006 07:39 PM

I've got two ideas so far, but don't yet know how to proceed. One is with myself as the only person in it, and I think that everyone is pretty tired of me already.

The other involves many others, and I don't know if I can get the cooperation I need. Not used to releases and all of that!

Good luck to all, let's make some kick-ass films!!!!-----Mike

Edward Slonaker March 11th, 2006 08:20 PM

This is my first DVC and I'm pumped! I've got the script done (such as it is for a 3-minute video), the music's already on track. The talent is out of town this weekend, but we'll start shooting next week sometime. I scouted the locations the evening the theme was announced. Got pictures to use as storyboards. A couple of places I'm not quite sure I can pull off.....but it is a "challenge," right?

Can't wait to get it all on tape and start editing!

Good luck, y'all!

Philip Boyer March 13th, 2006 07:38 AM

I've got the first draft of my wall of shame excuse written.

Dick Mays March 13th, 2006 08:30 AM

Clueless in Hoscthon Georgia. Got to use local scenery? There's nothing around here but a Waffle House.... hummm..

Andrew Todd March 13th, 2006 08:37 AM

reflections is definately my least favourite word this week

Jean-Francois Robichaud March 13th, 2006 08:49 AM

Nothing... Inspiration has eluded me so far. Maybe I should start making up my excuse, just like Philip said. Or maybe something will come to me a few days before the deadline. This is usually what happens.

Andrew Todd March 13th, 2006 09:12 AM

hey jean... our short could be : simialiarities between us.. the french canadian and the english canadian.. showing us both stuck with the same problem... tyring to figure out what to make for a 3-5 minute short on reflections. you'll be my reflection and ill be yours..

oh my ideas are getting more and more desperate.

Lorinda Norton March 13th, 2006 09:19 AM

So far so nothing.

But for those of us who are clueless at the moment, wait 'til the last week and our backs are against the wall! We'll kick in gear then. (People like me shouldn't be given more than a week.)
:)

Dylan Couper March 13th, 2006 09:25 AM

For DVC2, I purposely waited until the afternoon the competition closed before beginning my short (Secret Confessions of a DVinfo Moderator), just to prove that you didn't need to go big with it.

HOWEVER.... Considering you are going to need to show us a lot of the sights of your city... You'd better not wait that long.

I may submit something from what I shoot in Africa. Don't worry, I can't win my own competition (or can I...;)

Andrew Khalil March 13th, 2006 10:24 AM

I've got an idea (sort of) and a friend who'll act in it, but I still need to make a script and set a shoot date.

Mike Teutsch March 13th, 2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
But wait 'til the last week and our backs are against the wall! We'll kick in gear then. (People like me shouldn't be given more than a week.)
:)

You can say that again!

Mike

Bradley L Marlow March 13th, 2006 01:30 PM

Clueless in Stickville...my brain hurts.

However, considering Dylan DID also say "countryside"...there may be hope.

Aaron Koolen March 13th, 2006 01:38 PM

I am going to have an anurism before the comp is up, I know it. Writing blows.

Aaron Koolen March 13th, 2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Boyer
I've got the first draft of my wall of shame excuse written.

HAHAHAHA! Well you've got 3 weeks to perfect it, so I expect something exemplary!

Joe Lumbroso March 13th, 2006 02:26 PM

Quote:

Waffle House
Damn! I wish we had Waffle Houses in Portland. Beautiful scenery is so cliche.

Hugo Pinto March 14th, 2006 01:36 PM

I'm prety sure Lisbon will provide a beautiful background; I have loads of ideas on how to use the theme visually; I even did some location scouting...

...I'm just missing a story ;)

Illumination will come. In the last days, probably.

Hugo

Sean McHenry March 14th, 2006 02:33 PM

I am going to take the cliche' to a new level. In fact, when I'm done they will have to invent a new word for how cliche' I went. The thing is, I plan to do it very, very interestingly...

I could say more but, nope.

The inspiration for what I am going to attempt comes from an old Bogie movie I saw not too long ago. Actually, that's more of a hint than I want to give away so forget I said that.

So, I have characters and a situation, and ideas for camera angles but no compelling motivation for the action in the piece. Hmm, 3 acts huh. Luckily, not enough time for 3 acts in 5 minutes or under.

Still working it all out.

Sean McHenry

Steve Shilson March 15th, 2006 09:10 AM

Like I said in the DVC5 question thread. . .I'm done writing it, and I've got each camera shot I want written out so I make sure to get it. I've watched it in my head several times and it turned out decent, now all I have to do is plug in a firewire from my brain to the computer for capture. . . .wait, it isn't that easy? damn.

Philip Gioja March 15th, 2006 12:51 PM

Wouldn't it be funny if we all had the same idea? That's what I'm worried about...

Edward Slonaker March 15th, 2006 12:59 PM

I was thinking the same thing.... I read the word "cliche'" used on here and that's what I'm wondering my entry will be viewed as....

When the theme was announced, the idea for my video hit me like a bolt of lightning; right down to knowing what music I wanted to use.

It's gonna be interesting....

Philip Gioja March 15th, 2006 01:16 PM

Took me a while, and it definitely wasn't lightning -- more like a mud slide.

Edward Slonaker March 15th, 2006 02:26 PM

Okay, here's the dilemna: My Adobe Production Studio just arrived. Dare I load it or wait until after DVC#5 is done? Is there THAT much difference between PPro 1.5 and 2.0???

I want to play!

Pete Bauer March 15th, 2006 03:00 PM

Edward,

I haven't actually done a whole project with Production Studio yet, but unless you're already pretty far into editing I'd say load it up.

If I'd had the new features of Production Studio it would have saved me TONS of time on my last DVC project (probably half the 20-30 hours of editing / compositing that I did). The workflow is SO much better than Video Collection. The danger is running into bugs...but it seems that the number of gripes about Production Studio are less than previous versions (there's always going to be some griping, after all. Human nature.)

Tyler Baptist March 15th, 2006 03:29 PM

I have an idea, and some people willing to be act in it, but don't have a script yet (although I have started writing a bit of it). Hopefully I can figure it out soon...

Josh Johnson March 15th, 2006 04:07 PM

Finally came up with my idea today! Yay... My kids are acting again... hehe...

Hugo Pinto March 15th, 2006 04:57 PM

Wait...

...and it shall come!

AND IT DID! I have a workable idea that is not too cliché-ridden, and that I can use within the theme. Good good good good.

Now, it's time to develop it and work it out.

This will require some serious photography skills, though. Well, learning is what the DVC is about, anyway.

Hugo

Jonathan Jones March 15th, 2006 06:17 PM

since I'm sitting out this round (again)

Since the current factors going on around me don't afford me the time to play this round (as was with the last DVC), I guess I will just throw this out there since so many folks are confessing writers block....this is the first idea that came to mind when I read about the theme and the requisite shots of one's surroundings (and it is very vaguely based on a short story I started writing several years ago about an old man re-connecting with the spirits of his past)...the twist with my current idea has to do with the fact that it has been raining fairly consistently here for quite a while...

Anyway, since I'm not doing this challenge, maybe these thoughts might fuel someone else's...

I was thinking about setting the stage of a small town that draws the main character 'back home' to re-connect' with his past - various scenes interspersed between him remembering at the scene, and his actual memories.

It is at a rainy time of year and the settings and weather hint at possible circumstances as to why he left in the first place (...think...tragic accident during a rain storm in which he lost the person or people he loved)...

Visual elements would include wisps of these people (the ghosts) visible only in the rain puddles as he passes.

A cliche on the theme would also include much of the scenery itself viewed in rain puddle reflections.

It could be very cool and touching if done right, and even with requisite compositing I think this would be do-able in the given amount of time.

It is something I would enjoy watching....so maybe it helps fuel someone's ideas.

Have fun....I am looking forward to checkin' out the entries.

Also, thanks to Guy and Mike for your generous support of the DVC.
-Jon

Michael Fossenkemper March 15th, 2006 07:50 PM

No one else better be shooting reflections in rain puddles. hahaha, just kidding. Well, I've come up with an idea, got an actor, have lighting (let's see how I screw that up), even put together some locations and a shot list. Have a half written script.

We begin shooting on friday, re-write on saturday, re-shoot on sunday. Then we'll see where i'm at. If i'm not in jail on monday for shooting without a permit, i'll be a happy camper.

Kris Holodak March 15th, 2006 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Johnson
Finally came up with my idea today! Yay... My kids are acting again... hehe...

Makes me wish I had kids. I fear my talent will be a bit harder to direct. Still, I'm counting the days till Saturday just for the chance to run around town and give some new gear a good workout.

Edward Slonaker March 15th, 2006 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
We begin shooting on friday, re-write on saturday, re-shoot on sunday. Then we'll see where i'm at. If i'm not in jail on monday for shooting without a permit, i'll be a happy camper.

Permit? We don't need no stinking permit! .....do we???

Steve Shilson March 15th, 2006 10:04 PM

I have a shot list and I'm shooting on Saturday, how exciting! I'm beginning to fear score loss because although I included my hometown and elements of my hometown in almost every shot, the primary story of the film isn't based ON my hometown. . .being this my first time I really didn'tk now how strict I had to stay to the twist. I do have the theme covered very well, hopefully I'll be fine. *crosses fingers*

Michael Fossenkemper March 16th, 2006 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Slonaker
Permit? We don't need no stinking permit! .....do we???

Seems like I probably should being that I live in NYC. I was doing a little online research into this and I found that a tourist spent 4 days in jail for shooting the outside of the UN building. I guess I can scratch that off my shot list. I also took my camera into Chinatown and found that they were not so keen on me shooting down there. I was yelled at quite harshly in Chinese. I think they thought I was a reporter.

Kris Holodak March 16th, 2006 09:21 AM

I'm vaguely worried about permits as well here in DC. But I was shooting stills in all my locations last weekend and no one had a problem with that, nor with the hundreds of tourists around me with their palm-corders. My camera is better than that, but it's not like I'm bringing a big crew. In fact, I scripted to avoid needing lights or sound on location so that I can pass myself off as an ultra geeky tourist if I need to. Hope that works.

Robert M Wright March 16th, 2006 12:42 PM

I've got an idea, but I may not be able to finish in time (might not even get started). Unfortunately, I'm having MAJOR plumbing problems stemming from a frigid cold blast a couple weeks ago, that are setting me back bigtime (on everything).

Chris Barcellos March 16th, 2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
I've got an idea, but I may not be able to finish in time (might not even get started). Unfortunately, I'm having MAJOR plumbing problems stemming from a frigid cold blast a couple weeks ago, that are setting me back bigtime (on everything).

Wondered where you disappeared to. Better move to sunny California.... :)

John Hewat March 17th, 2006 01:42 AM

Written it.
Storyboarded it.

Just trying to find a dwarf to be in it.

Philip Boyer March 17th, 2006 06:36 AM

Maybe you could just have someone reflect on what it would be like to be a dwarf.