DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Dvc 6 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/70677-dvc-6-a.html)

Jay Silver August 2nd, 2006 11:40 AM

Sheer number of contestants

As much as I respect amateur video and am certain everyone will try their best, I don't know if I'll be able to handle watching entries for hours on end just to cast my three votes responsibly. I'm assuming, of course, that it was intended to keep the same voting method as last time. Even though it means some videos will get much less exposure, I propose that a committee narrow the field before inviting the popular vote.

-j

(It sounds so formal when I re-read it; try to imagine it said with a smile.)

Dylan Couper August 2nd, 2006 12:45 PM

If I had read this earlier I would have made the theme Birthdays... but too late now. :)

Happy birthday(s)!

And Jay, I like your idea of narrowing the field to the top ten and then letting the public vote go at it.

Mike Teutsch August 2nd, 2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
If I had read this earlier I would have made the theme Birthdays... but too late now. :)

Happy birthday(s)!

And Jay, I like your idea of narrowing the field to the top ten and then letting the public vote go at it.

Dylan,

What do you mean it is too late? It's never too late!!!!!!!! I do agree that some knowledgable soul like you and or others needs to narrow the field. It is just too many. We want as many people as possible to participate, but the field needs to be narrowed before judging. 50+ people having to watch 50+ movies, or one or two people watching 50+ films and narrowing it down, the latter seems much better and more practical.

Have a great day Dylan, I'll hoist one tonight just for you!

Mike

Michael Fossenkemper August 2nd, 2006 01:33 PM

I don't mind watching that many 3 min films. a few a night. That's if everyone turns one in. I bet there will be a lot less that actually make the deadline (including mine hahaha).

Joey Taylor August 2nd, 2006 02:24 PM

Wanna know what I think?

I think Dylan should post however many films he does every night, like usual. And If we'd like to watch them, we can, if not, we don't have to.

Dylan, the head of the contest, and probably most experienced(?) should decide on the top ten using is MASSIVE POWER in the contest.

Haha. How else could we narrow them down?

I admit, there are a LOT of films.

William Gardner August 2nd, 2006 03:12 PM

A suggestion for judging:

Group the films into sets of, say, 12 or so.

Then those 12 filmmakers get to vote on those 12 films. The top 2 or 3 from each group get to make it to the 2nd round.

In the 2nd round, everybody gets to watch all the 2nd round films (which hopefully are pretty decent) and vote for the winner. If there were, say, 50 films initially = ~4 groups, and the top 2-3 from each group make it, this would result in another 8-12ish films in the 2nd round.

This way, everybody has to watch 11ish 1st round films and 8-12ish 2nd round films. Nobody has to watch 50 films.

Thoughts?
Bill

Michael Fossenkemper August 2nd, 2006 03:37 PM

Bill, sounds pretty good, as long as my film isn't in your group.

Dick Mays August 2nd, 2006 05:27 PM

Bill, are you some kind of math guy?

Scott Cozad August 2nd, 2006 05:37 PM

I believe in DV5 about 50% of the initial entrants actually submitted a film. If the same holds true for DV6 we're talking about 40 films, which is 10-12 more than DV5. That would add maybe two more days of viewing. Not bad as far as I am concerned.

Dylan Couper August 2nd, 2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Dylan,

What do you mean it is too late? It's never too late!!!!!!!! I

Well, I was going to make the theme "Bikinis" but I guess if you don't want it.... :)

Heh, just kidding, it isn't that.

I'm coming up with a variation of the judging, but I will still be posting 5 films a day, every day, untill they are done. Everyone gets their chance in the sun.

Chris Barcellos August 2nd, 2006 05:48 PM

And that was a situation where we had almost a month to complete the project, not 10 days.

William Gardner August 2nd, 2006 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays
Bill, are you some kind of math guy?

Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering. But don't hold that against me... :)

Bill

Sean McHenry August 2nd, 2006 11:36 PM

Since we are all blabbing about how old we are, I'm hovering at 45 right now.

When I'm on the treadmill here at home I feel about 28. It's the next day I feel over 50!

Happy B-Day to all the old coots in the crowd. We're lucky we can see the viewfinder let alone shoot video through the thing.

Us "seasoned" folks have put up a pretty good showing in these challenges. In fact, how old are the past winners? That will be intertesting to average.

Sean

Joey Taylor August 2nd, 2006 11:58 PM

Is anyone in their 20's?
Anyone in highschool?

Annnyyyooonnneee?

Mark Utley August 3rd, 2006 03:38 AM

I'm 19.

This contest should be pretty fun. I already know what my movie will be about, regardless of the theme. That's how I roll.