DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVChallenge #6 THEME POST! GO GO GO! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/72896-dvchallenge-6-theme-post-go-go-go.html)

Dylan Couper August 3rd, 2006 08:55 AM

DVChallenge #6 THEME POST! GO GO GO!

The theme for The DV Challenge #6 is:

THE SUN

Congrats, you now have until next Sunday night, to write, shoot, edit, render, upload and email me the link to your three minute film.

GOOD LUCK!

Michael Fossenkemper August 3rd, 2006 09:04 AM

The Sun???? That's it??? Oh no. I'm drawing a blank.

How many videos i'm going to have to watch of sun shots.....

Robert Martens August 3rd, 2006 09:07 AM

So no twist this time? I remember you saying something last time along the lines of "The twist I had planned for DVC5 will have to wait for DVC6", and here we are. I see no twist, sir. Contest seven, I presume? Or has it been abandoned altogether?

Bruce Broussard August 3rd, 2006 09:14 AM

Wow. What a bright idea.

Dylan Couper August 3rd, 2006 09:14 AM

The twist is there is no twist. :)

Honestly, yeah, I did have one planned for use with a different theme, but I liked this one so much just as it was that I figured I'd let it go as is.

Peter Ferling August 3rd, 2006 09:20 AM

Oh thank god, I can use my Sony HC1 at F4...

Fredrik-Larsson August 3rd, 2006 09:24 AM

Actually... I had the sun in my DVC #2 entry... "the sun might be one of the secret ingredients in what we are now about to see..." To bad I can't leave in same entry twice. ;)

Hugh DiMauro August 3rd, 2006 09:32 AM

I'm so bright, my mother calls me "sun"!

Joel L. Young August 3rd, 2006 09:37 AM

I might be showing my years of experience here (or lack of), but isn't it bad to point your camera at the sun? Or is that just for stills? Or is that just a myth?

Michael Fossenkemper August 3rd, 2006 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel L. Young
I might be showing my years of experience here (or lack of), but isn't it bad to point your camera at the sun? Or is that just for stills? Or is that just a myth?

Oh Great. Now you tell me. I've been shooting sun shots for the past hour. Is it bad that there is smoke coming out of my camera?

Joey Taylor August 3rd, 2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
Oh Great. Now you tell me. I've been shooting sun shots for the past hour. Is it bad that there is smoke coming out of my camera?

As long as your camera doesn't actually burst into flames it should be alright.

Anyways.

THE SUN!?

Isn't that more of a thing than a theme? Or is it just me.
Okay, so Dylan... does it actually have to do with the sun, or can the sun or characteristics of the sun just be involved in the storyline?

Andrew Hood August 3rd, 2006 10:12 AM

Does the word have to be interpreted by its spelling, or can it be interpreted phonetically? As in other words that sound the same.

Dylan Couper August 3rd, 2006 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Taylor
Okay, so Dylan... does it actually have to do with the sun, or can the sun or characteristics of the sun just be involved in the storyline?

I dunno Joey, you tell me. :) That is the theme, you can do whatever you like with it. The better you use it creatively, with a good story, the more likely you are to do well in the judging.

Andrew, the sun means the sun, that big fireball doohicky in the sky.

Joey Taylor August 3rd, 2006 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
I dunno Joey, you tell me. :)

Yes.
and good.
Thanks.

Alex Thames August 3rd, 2006 10:23 AM

I KNEW I should have bought that graduated filter! Now, who knows if it can arrive on time.

Hugo Pinto August 3rd, 2006 10:36 AM

Ok... the sun shouldn't be too hard to find these days in sunny Lisbon.

Now, can you pack a sun-related social-, inter-personal, and personal conflict in less than 4 minutes?

http://www.lyricstime.com/live-sun-lyrics.html :D

Best,

Hugo

Daniel Speed August 3rd, 2006 10:53 AM

Sun (noun.) - a star that is the basis of the solar system and that sustains life on Earth, being the source of heat and light. It has a mean distance from Earth of about 93 million miles, a diameter of approximately 864,000 miles and a mass 333,000 times that of Earth. It contains 99.85% of the mass in the solar system.

What a whopper of a topic. Sun Bloody Sun.

Joey Taylor August 3rd, 2006 11:02 AM

Im questioning the possibilities....

and there aren't a lot at the moment.

Edward Slonaker August 3rd, 2006 11:08 AM

Geez, here in S. Texas it's "sun, sun everywhere and not a frame to capture...."

this could be interesting....

Alex Thames August 3rd, 2006 11:28 AM

Do I have an idea or what?! Now if only I can gather up enough of a cast and many extras.

Daniel Speed August 3rd, 2006 11:30 AM

Sorry Joey,

I didn't mean for my response to be a conjecture of the simplicity of the topic.

I was meaning for quite the opposite. It's such a general theme that it's difficult to narrow down on ideas. Like any assignments, it's often times when we're under the must constraints that creativity works the most (best?) to compensate.

Sun Bloody Sun was meant to be a pun for the abbreviation for John Schlesinger's 1971 film.

Joey Taylor August 3rd, 2006 11:41 AM

no problem man.
i didn't even know you were talking to me, hehe.

and yes, the sun is such a HUGE general topic it is really hard to think of a story.

Problem is, it is gloooomy where I am at. no sun to be found!

Joey Taylor August 3rd, 2006 12:02 PM

Holy mother of god...

I have an idea.

Andrew Paul August 3rd, 2006 01:43 PM

Bloody Great !. I live in south of UK and it is cloudy with rain at the moment. Where am I supposed to get some sun from ?. I am going to have to improvise on this one !

Joey Taylor August 3rd, 2006 02:58 PM

Question

Question Dylan:

Does the story have to be soley written by me, or could it be written with someone else?

Pete Bauer August 3rd, 2006 03:30 PM

Joey, pending a more erudite answer from Dylan, I think it is fair to say as a general matter that you must have the rights to whatever screenplay you use in a production. If you're collaborating with someone and they did most of the writing, I'd expect that would be fine, just as you can have any number of actors. They're part of your productio team. However, if you were surfing the net and found the perfect screenplay, but it belongs to someone else, then that's no different than using music you don't have the rights to.

Alex Thames August 3rd, 2006 04:07 PM

Works with the right Creative Commons licenses can be used, however, because CC is not copyright. Many CC licenses allow you to use, appropriate, re-mix, adapt, build upon, etc. the work so long as you follow the restrictions. Creative Commons means some rights reserved. Copyright means all rights reserved.

Joey Taylor August 3rd, 2006 04:09 PM

Ya definitely.

It was a friend of mine who gave me a very good idea (IMHO) and I would like to further write it.

He would obviously get a writers credit too!

Are we not allowed to use copyrighted music, even for these little films?!

Joey

Alex Thames August 3rd, 2006 04:09 PM

Exactly, if you don't own the copyright or have the rights to use the copyright, you can't use it.

Pete Tomov August 3rd, 2006 04:55 PM

The Sun ?
Err...right.

Meryem Ersoz August 3rd, 2006 05:30 PM

i love this theme! i have a great idea!

oh right, i didn't sign up. never mind.

Michael Fossenkemper August 3rd, 2006 05:42 PM

I'll pay you in cash for your idea....

Joey Taylor August 3rd, 2006 05:48 PM

Why the sun?
WHY?

Dylan Couper August 3rd, 2006 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Joey, pending a more erudite answer from Dylan, I think it is fair to say as a general matter that you must have the rights to whatever screenplay you use in a production. If you're collaborating with someone and they did most of the writing, I'd expect that would be fine, just as you can have any number of actors. They're part of your productio team. However, if you were surfing the net and found the perfect screenplay, but it belongs to someone else, then that's no different than using music you don't have the rights to.

Thanks Pete, that's exactly it!

Dylan Couper August 3rd, 2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

I'll pay you in cash for your idea....

Hey, I've got at least 4 or 5 good ones I'm not going to use!
While my ideas may be expensive, I'll guarantee you that they will get you into the (ahem) judges top 10 choices at least! :)

Michael Fossenkemper August 3rd, 2006 06:06 PM

Quote:

Hey, I've got at least 4 or 5 good ones I'm not going to use!
While my ideas may be expensive, I'll guarantee you that they will get you into the (ahem) judges top 10 choices at least! :)

Define Expensive... More than a loaf of bread? less than a bottle of cheap scotch?

Dylan Couper August 3rd, 2006 06:10 PM

Quote:

Define Expensive... More than a loaf of bread? less than a bottle of cheap scotch?

I'm easy, but not cheap. :)

Michael Fossenkemper August 3rd, 2006 06:11 PM

Quote:

I'm easy, but not cheap. :)

Hey... That's what the last girl I went out with said.

Dick Mays August 3rd, 2006 07:21 PM

No idea. The Sun also Shines. The Sun also sets...
Hummmm.... May have to buy that bottle of Scotch.

Mike Teutsch August 3rd, 2006 07:52 PM

Well, I have an idea anyway. Now if I can pull it off.

Funny how slow the posts to the other threads I watch get when the theme is announced! DEAD slow! Everyone still there?

Dylan, what kind of scotch was it you wanted to motorhome stocked with for NAB next year!?!?!?!? :)

Mike