Rant On! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old August 30th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #31
Major Player

I prefer to right click on the links and save target as (when the links Dylan provides are direct to the movie). I download all of the ones I can so that I can unplug and move to the couch so I can watch with my feet up. So personally non-downloadable options like youtube are not my favorite because I don't have a comfy desk chair. I say it not to dissuade people from using youtube but to point out that I think we're going to find 30 different preferences for viewing our 30 movies and we're never going to make everyone completely happy.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
Another thing wrong with myspace is you have to register to watch a video. Anytime I come across a video that I have to register to watch, I skip it.
This is not true. Click the link in my Sig if you don't believe me. You can upload a maximum of 4 movies to your main page so that anyone who has an internet connection can see them. No registration needed. If you want to store more clips in another area, feel free. But unless you upload them to the main page, you will need an account to see them.

Anyone who clicks my link can see the movies I have on my main page, and they load instantly.

The way I see it, when you click the link provided and there are no major wait times and the quality is good, there shouldn't be a problem.

Just my opinion.
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #33
Trustee

Kris has a point I actually sort of unintentionally ignored this round. Sorry folks, wasn't trying to make lives harder but going Google does mean that you would need to download their Google player to be able to save the videos out to a local drive. I actually could have done the Flash 8 conversion myself as well and embeded it directly in the page but then I am reduced to hosting it again. Flash is small so that's not so much an issue but for those that like to do what Kris does, and I do to sometimes, using Google may actually be an issue for those not blessed with full time wireless internet.

I will try in the future to make sure I use a downloadable Windows Media file for the masses that would like that option as well as going Google for the rest. It's still pretty impressive to have it just show up like it does in my own web page without having to host it.

Thanks for reminding me of that Kris.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Holodak
I prefer to right click on the links and save target as (when the links Dylan provides are direct to the movie). I download all of the ones I can so that I can unplug and move to the couch so I can watch with my feet up. So personally non-downloadable options like youtube are not my favorite because I don't have a comfy desk chair. I say it not to dissuade people from using youtube but to point out that I think we're going to find 30 different preferences for viewing our 30 movies and we're never going to make everyone completely happy.

Smile,
Kris

ahh, ok. so i'm going to modify my link next time to link to the movie and not to a webpage. Or maybe i'll provide both. I personally don't mind either way as long as it's not youtube. Man do I hate what they do to videos. Some of those free sites where they make you wait for a minute while you are bombarded with ads are crazy.

The myspace movie thing seems to work pretty good. not my cup of tea but can work. If you put your video on the front page and at the top, then it's ok. if you put it in your videos thingamabob, then you need to register.

Putfile so far is my favorite freebie. easy, simple, free, no ads, no fuss.

some things I don't want to just put out there so I prefer my own hosting. I can afford to go without a cup of starbucks once a month.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #35
Trustee

Michael,
back when I was young and had time to give away, last year I think it was, I built my own Linux file server, gave it a spot on the router/gateway and had my own unlimited storage space. Naturally, the ISPs don't like people doing that as some aren't as thoughtful about antivirus protection and such and can actually make the whole system slow to a crawl when not run correctly.

I however had been doing it for years with no complaints and didn't abuse the bandwidth exccept for watching Turner Classic Movies on my Dell PocketPC at Panera from my home cable once in a while, and that wasn't all that often.

I may have to hook that up again. That was kind of fun and impressive to people.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 02:44 AM   #36
Major Player

There's a bit more work involved, but some of you may want to check out Video Downloader for getting some of these non-downloadable files. Google, Myspace, Youtube and a few others are handled from the site. A few more steps to go through, and I'm still in the "just give us a link to a file" camp, but if a movie you want is only available on one of these hosting services, this is a useful tool.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 03:33 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
Michael,
back when I was young and had time to give away, last year I think it was, I built my own Linux file server, gave it a spot on the router/gateway and had my own unlimited storage space. Naturally, the ISPs don't like people doing that as some aren't as thoughtful about antivirus protection and such and can actually make the whole system slow to a crawl when not run correctly.

I however had been doing it for years with no complaints and didn't abuse the bandwidth exccept for watching Turner Classic Movies on my Dell PocketPC at Panera from my home cable once in a while, and that wasn't all that often.

I may have to hook that up again. That was kind of fun and impressive to people.

Sean
Yeah, I was running a ftp server from my mac at home. Works great until your ip changes (mines dynamic). kind of pain to remember to relink everything when it needs rebooting. The price difference to get a static ip was more than just getting a seperate host. so I went that route.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge