DVC7 out takes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old January 8th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #1
Major Player

DVC7 out takes

Well in the DVC tradition, here is our out take reel and some behind the scenes stuff.

http://www.turtletonestudio.com/films/DVC7out.html
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #2
Wrangler

Whoa! Now, that was cool!!!! Loved all the footage of your "cablecam." I also loved watching Sarah (she follows direction as well as the guys) and it was great to finally see the camera guy, too!

How interesting to see the different angle you tried for the jeep careening toward you (I can see why you feared for your life) and the guys making their getaway on foot. The angle you chose for the movie worked so much better.

Robert...cheese wheels? LOL!

Thanks so much for sharing this!
Old January 8th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, I'm not exactly a trained improv actor; I asked Paul what he was going to do with the money before I had an answer for the same question. The cheese wheel thing had been stuck in my head since earlier in the day, I couldn't think of anything better. Glad to see it ended up on the cutting room floor.

I clearly need to get a shoulder brace for my camera, but the shots my dad got (behind the "bank" and out in the woods) weren't bad, considering. Would've been nice to get some closer shots of the cable setup, I guess, but you know how it is--the sun's going down, we still need more footage, there's no time for anything else. I did get some other stuff, but nothing too substantial; what you saw was the only real "meat" to the making of video.

I hope some of you other guys have outtakes, too, I can't wait to see what got cut from some of these movies!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Wow! What an amazing production! You guys did awesome. I'm really impressed with that cable contraption and the actors abilities to just stay in character and adlib.

I think the cheesewheels was the perfect answer, I mean you're playing a guy who sorta jumped into this and most likely hasn't thought his spending plans through. So for now during the getaway, his plans are his childhood dream of a cheesewheel restaurant. I think if it were something lucrative it would have been out of character. Nice work.

So that's a steadystick or some derivative clamped to a board with pullys on it? Man, I'm not sure I'd trust putting my camera up there, but it looks cool when it's done.

Next time you gotta include the dog! He's way too cool to be missing his fifteen minutes of fame.

I'd post my outtakes, but I didn't film any extra to what was seen. The only outtakes I have are my grubby fingers closeup setting the camera on the tripod, then walking to my location and starting to 'act' like an old man. Other than that, I didn't have any scenes to cut out, just trimming of what was shown. Next time, when I have actors and I'm behind the camera, I'll get someone to film BTS for me.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Great setup guys! Love the cable-cam.

I wish I had half the equipment and ingenuity.

Like Brent, the only outtake I have is my wife laughing as I "strangle" her. :)

Nice job guys!

Mike
Old January 8th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #6
Trustee

Mike:

What really made an impression on me was how calm and orderly your production appeared to flow. No rushing. No apparent stress. What a peaceful environment in the woods! Oh! And your talent memorized their lines and choreography. Mike, you had all the magic fall into place for a first rate production. And if there was any on-set fretting, your directorial talents made it seem not so. Extremely clever floating dolly setup. A more "amateur" filmmaker would have exploited the heck out of that floating dolly by using it over and over. You used it just right. Thanks for your behind-the-scenes peek.

By the way, in a little bit I will be posting my special edition "Too Gross For The DVC Challenge Meet The Rod" with extra scenes and outtakes. Remember, beware of my incessant cackling in the background. Have fun!

Last edited by Hugh DiMauro; January 8th, 2007 at 02:22 PM.
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Trustee

Meet The Rod Extras!

Here we go boys and girls! As promised! Crack a beer, have a few shots and enjoy this in the way it had been intended: On the floor rolling around, laughing! (I hope!)

Right click and save Bloopers.

http://www.bluejeanvideo.com/hd.htm

Enjoy!
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #8
Major Player

Ha! Great stuff, Hugh, I liked that. I love the magazine subscription thing, though even with all those wonderful names to choose from, I thought "Robert Bigman" was the funniest, for some reason. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #9
Trustee

Robert:

We had more fun than a barrel of monkeys. When we get together it's always like that.
Old January 8th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #10
Major Player

Hahahaha. That was funnier than your short, which I didn't think possible. the magazine thing was great.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #11
Trustee

Thank you, Mike. A bit of background: The idea for the bogus magazine subscriptions germinated during an overtime detail for which Charlie volunteered at the public library. As he sat there, bored out of his mind, he began grabbing the magazine subscription cards and thinking up ridiculous names under which he could subscribe to Bob's address. The rest, they say, is cinematic history. :-)

You would not believe the hilarious shenanigans surrounding Bob's existence.
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #12
Wrangler

Crude guy humor abounds in this insider laugh fest. You gave a warning with the “too gross for the DV Challenge” title, but my curiosity got the best of me! I refuse to confess that I may have laughed at some of it. ;)

What a cool deal that you all have been friends for so many years. It’s great that you can sit around twenty years later and have such hearty laughs over the funny memories!

By the way, nice cutting on that, Hugh. :)
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #13
Trustee

Thank You, Lorinda

Crude? Yes! (My marketing strategy worked, heh heh heh!) I suppose the fact that we have been friends for so long created our onscreen synergy. For years I worked the street with Bob and John but missed Charlie by a few months after he had transferred to another department. Bob and Charlie's exploits grow in hilarity with each successive retelling. Even mine have been embellished so much that they've "improved" to the point of gross inaccuracy. And at this point they refuse to let me change it! :-( But I guess if that makes them funnier...

As for the editing, I just used the same old formula that works for this type of talking head interview movie. Thank you for the kind words, Lorinda.
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #14
Trustee

Robert:

What a marvelous idea to involve your dad in your filmmaking.
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #15
Major Player

Yeah, he's been an amazing help. It started out of necessity--I didn't, and still don't, have any actors or other crew to do this stuff with me--but to be honest, he's more responsible for the existence of the movies I've done so far than I am. The accounts I've provided to date of his involvement in "my" filmmaking don't do him justice; you'd have to be there when we're shooting to really get an accurate picture of what he adds to the process.

That's not to disparage my mother's contribution, though; she has been less directly involved, thanks largely to her work schedule (and we do have a tendency to rub each other the wrong way sometimes), but her participation in my first movie, and her understanding and patience overall, are just as important to it all as my dad's help.

I'm extremely lucky to have parents that are so supportive and willing to make themselves available for things like this. I try to take advantage of it when I can. :)
Robert Martens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge