Membership application overlooked? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Closed Thread

Old August 8th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #1
Trustee

Membership application overlooked?

An audio professional who has been working to raise awareness of the audio issue with the Sony HVR-V1U, has claimed in a post to the rec.video.production news group that “The moderator over at DVinfo.net has been holding up my membership application to that discussion group”.

Has his application simply been overlooked?
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #2
Trustee

Huh?

I don't recall ever have to "apply" to this group. Am I missing something?
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I can assure you that his application has not simply been overlooked. I considered it very carefully.

As I have previously stated many times, DV Info Net is not your typical internet message board, and it certainly is not intended to appeal to everybody, nor is it the right place for everybody. Some people fit in well here while others don't. And that's okay, because it's a big internet. There is a certain degree of exclusivity here, which is what helps to make this place unique. As the creator of this space, and as a person who stakes his name, reputation and living on the content and the scope of this site, it is my right (Freedom of Speech) and my obligation (since it is my business) to decide what that content and that scope will be. When I make a determination as to what is included or excluded here, that decision -- like any editorial decision -- is based purely upon my standards for Quality Control. And I have very specific standards for quality which are purposefully intended to separate this site from the usual, typical "internet experience."

Now in this particular case, the subject in question has summed it up for himself quite well:

"The moderator over at DVinfo.net has been holding up my membership
application to that discussion group as well, probably knowing that I tend
to shake up the dirt wherever I go."

I couldn't have said it better myself. DV Info Net never has been and never will be the right place for those who tend to shake up the dirt wherever they go (in fact, I built this site specifically to get away from those people). As I said, it's a big internet and there are plenty of other web sites that would be more than happy to accommodate that sort of person. Also, by keeping that element out of this site, I'm not depriving anyone of the privilege of checking out the dirt this person is shaking up. It can be readily found elsewhere, in fact, in numerous other locations. A lot of folks who visit DV Info Net also visit a number of other sites on a regular basis; just because something isn't here doesn't mean it can't be easily found somewhere else. And there's always Google.

Finally, if there actually was a serious audio issue with the Sony HVR-V1U, there wouldn't be just one person running around complaining about it. There are plenty of DV Info Net regulars who are audio experts. I'll give credence to a "V1U audio issue" when they bring it up. Not when it's on Usenet. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I don't recall ever have to "apply" to this group. Am I missing something?
Oh but you did apply... and you had to recite the complete lyrics to "MacArthur Park" that night in Burbank. I know you have at least a vague, fuzzy recollection of that experience!

The new member approval process has never been automatic here. Lately I've been thinking of stepping it up a notch... requiring a 500-word essay stating the reasons for wanting to join, a short multiple-choice quiz about our forum policy, and a paragraph or two which demonstrate an understanding of why "Plan Nine From Outer Space" by Edward D. Wood, Jr. should be mandatory viewing for all would-be filmmakers.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Or have potential members bake a cake and leave it out on the rain, um, otherwise they could forget the recipe, and, er, spend some time at the real MacArthur Park in LA--hhmm.

Ooohh, just mail me my darned membership card, why doncha!?!

--JA
www.madjavaproductions.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements