Instant Films screening in LA on Sun. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old May 16th, 2002, 04:17 PM   #1
Wrangler

Instant Films screening in LA on Sun.

An exciting event this weekend:

Instant Films LLC presents the latest cycle of the 48-hour filmmaking project. 8 writers are given randomly selected words on Friday night; on Saturday morning they turn in their 5-8 page scripts; 8 directors are given randomly selected scripts and actors and have 36 hours to complete their films!

Come see the results at the screening this Sunday the 19th in Hollywood--for more information, see instantfilms.com.

--Charles Papert, SOC
Co-producer and one of 8 directors, Instant Films

(currently clearing out the hard drives and charging the XL1 batteries in anticipation of the adrenaline-fueled weekend!)
Old May 16th, 2002, 07:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Charles,

This sounds like an awesome opportunity. I wish I could get out there this weekend.

Good Luck,

Bill
Bill Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 12:03 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hi folks.

The next installment of Instant Films gets underway the weekend of June 28-30 (see first post for details on the event). The screening will be on June 30th, here is the info:

Sunset Stages
6063 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood
$12 Admission
Reception to Follow

See instantfilms.com for directions etc.

The last show was a big success, we had nearly 200 souls in attendance and we had a lot of enthusiastic feedback. If you are in the Los Angeles area, please try to come to the screening, I think you'll enjoy it!
Old July 24th, 2002, 01:31 AM   #4
Wrangler

Hi,

The latest 7 short films from Instant Films 002 (as detailed above) are finally up on the website: www.instantfilms.com or instantfilms.tv.

Currently they are Windows Media Player only. My partners report they look great on a PC. Personally, PC's give me hives--there's some way to download the movie files to the Mac, but I haven't learned how to do it yet (embarassing, for sure). We are working on getting Real versions up as soon as possible.

Hope you enjoy them!
Old July 28th, 2002, 07:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Charles, the idea and latest batch of movies are just great. (I liked your submission in particular.)

Are there any plans for these events outside LA? Are you franchising? Are there similar competitions elsewhere?

Also, it occurred to me that an interesting variation would be to give each writer the same theme or bits of plot, leading to scripts and then directed shorts that explore the same theme but highlighting the different talents of each group of writers/directors/actors.

Great fun Charles. I may have to coordinate a business trip to go to one of the screenings.
Old July 28th, 2002, 12:39 PM   #6
Wrangler

We are hoping to create satellite version of this in different cities down the road, still working out the kinks locally. I know that there is a 48 hour filmmaking project in DC that has been around for a couple of years; the rules are different and I think it happens once a year. The unique aspect to our version is the randomly distributed scripts and actors.

Thanks for watching!
Old July 28th, 2002, 02:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Charles,

When you are ready to include other cities, please consider Houston. You should have my email, if not I will resend it to you. We would very much like to participate with your program.

BTW - My stuff also arrived as promised. Very happy with the purchase!
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2002, 07:59 AM   #8
Wrangler

It's Instant Films time again...

This Sunday the 25th is the screening of 8 short films that didn't exist in any way just two days earlier!

Here's the info:

LA Film School Theater
6363 Sunset Blvd.
Hollywood, CA 90028

(we are not affiliated with the school, we just rented their beautiful theater)

$10 donation
Reception to Follow
Reservations: 310-200-5871

www.instantfilms.com
Old August 28th, 2002, 12:05 AM   #9
Wrangler

The 8 films from last weekend's Instant Films #003 festival are up on the website at www.instantfilms.com.

I highly recommend "Dirty Diamonds", it swept the awards for this particular festival.

Another great show!
Old August 28th, 2002, 06:45 AM   #10
Warden

Thanks for the update, Charles. Such fine efforts from everyone involved, very insperational. I would be happy to make a donation to help future Instant film Festivals. Maybe a PayPal account with a link would help. I would contribute and maybe others would. I have only one critisism and it could just be me and my Mac. The movie quality in Media Player is not very good and some scenes are very compressed and showing extreme artifacts. But, it could just be the Mac and they look great on a PC. Thanks again

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2002, 10:01 AM   #11
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Charles,
"Dirty Diamonds" is, indeed, outstanding! This is some really remarkable work, especially in the context of the festival's production constraints.

Really, Bravo!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2002, 12:23 PM   #12
Wrangler

Cripes, Jeff, that's extremely generous (and thanks for the kudos Ken). I will pass on the suggestion to my co-producers.

We are working on the web delivery. Yes, the WMP quality on Mac is pretty abysmal. We are trying to get sponsorship for Quicktime or Real delivery. Hopefully it will come soon.
Old August 28th, 2002, 12:30 PM   #13
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Just got a chance to watch 'Dougie Dangerous", too. Am still laughing as I type this. Clever. It's actually a clinic for shooting and editing dialog.

You can count me in for support, too, Charles. This is obviously a worthy effort. Jot me an email when you're getting ready for 004.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 11:54 PM   #14
Wrangler

Hi gang:

We are on the verge of scheduling our Halloween-themed Instant Films, but in the meantime I wanted to announce that we now have a donation area available on the web site as some of you expressed interest in that possibility. Go to www.instantfilms.com, click on "About us" and then the "Donations" tab. We have an account set up with PayPal. My deepest appreciation for your interest in our venture!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements