New Forum Design - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old April 17th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #31
Obstreperous Rex

Don't worry about user titles; I'll have those restored shortly.

This is a work in progress folks! We'll also get the "real names" greeting restored among other things... please bear with us!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #32
Major Player

My only problem is that I am having to login each time I visit. Didn't see a "cookie" option in the Control Panel and I'm checking "remember me" at login. Other than that I've encountered no other problems.

I like the new format and look. Good work to Chris and to the Mods.
Old April 17th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #33
Wrangler

User Titles are back. If you have a specific technical problem (cookies not sticking, etc) please be sure to mention your browser and OS in your post. That way it'll be obvious if it's something systemic.
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #34
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jimmy,

You know how common it is for misunderstandings and poor choices of words to erupt into flame wars. Imagine how hard it is to be diplomatic in our own language, much less in another language. That's all that Jos meant. No need to be insulting toward him.

Jos, I'm sympathetic to the plight of non-English writers but I think the overall view of smilies over here is that they make a forum appear amateurish. Believe me, I use smilies constantly when writing to my friends overseas... never know how what I'm writing is going to be received!
Old April 17th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #35
Trustee

I really like the fact that people use their real name and that the forum software is very functional; no smilies and avatars for me. That said, I have to admit I am also finding it hard to read at the moment, but I will bear with it for a while. I wonder whether it is possible to select which forums I want to read and not display the rest?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #36
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Emre,

Have you tried the different layout options in the bottom left corner of the page?
Old April 17th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #37
Trustee

I posted earlier on the wrong page so I'll repost, I'm sorry for any issues that may cause.

I think the choice of styles is good though personally I don't liek to ahve to make decisions and like it better when they are made for me, as long as that decision is the old style look I'm happy.

Anyhow I agree the site feels a lot more clinical now and I'm lookinf forward to see the "you're among friends" written underneath my name.

I alos think it would eb nice to have a little bot more noticable hyperlink. But I'm just glad the forum is still around.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #38
Regular Crew

forum wide version

mike...i had the same reaction when i first looked at this new version (hard to get used to but really looking good).
There is an option at the bottom left for a wide version. Looks a lot better on my 19" monitor. :) (i have two of them!!!! and yes they are new! lots of space!!! yeeepie!!!) :)
Paulo Figueiredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #39
Trustee

I've had a chance to customize my layout - it's more similar to the old school way. But, I've definately gotten used to a few of the new things.

I LOVE the fact that URL's automatically hyperlink themselves...COOL! I love it, I love it, I love it!!!!

The pull downs are great!

Thanks for having the option to stretch the screen out - I was really hoping it would do that. I'm full screen now on my Cinema display.

Overall - excellent job!!!
Old April 17th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #40
Wrangler

Agreement with Richard Alvarez that the new thread icons on the left hand side of the post listings fundamentally change the way I browse the board. I used to be able to pay special attention to threads I had already posted to and threads I hadn't yet read--or at least do so with greater ease. The different-colored icons made that easy. Now they seem to be smaller and monochrome.

Everything else is nice, though. I like that I can choose the "wide" setting from the dropdown in the bottom left to get rid of the fixed-width display.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #41
Obstreperous Rex

User titles are now restored (thanks to our hero Jeff K.)

Slowly but surely we're getting things taken care of... just hang in there... thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #42
New Boot

hey guys i like it looks sweet.
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #43
Inner Circle

OK, the note on the width took care of most of my concerns! I'll learn the rest in due time. I still don't seem to see the links others have mentioned, but that may be my choice of browser, Netscape. The blue was a little easier on the eyes, but I can live with this.

Great work Chris! Like I said, the best.

Mike
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #44
Major Player

Oh NO, I thought I was at the wrong place!

Now that I made it wide it's much better but the white is still really hard on the eyes (I actually had to turn my monitor brightness down). It also feels like there isn't as much information on each page because the text looks bigger or something about the way it's formatted now.
It certainly does feel quicker though! Pretty nice job.

oops, I forgot, I don't really care for the little yellow idiot boxes that pop up though, they tend to block the stuff I'm actually trying to read as I use my mouse as a visual pointer. (just my 2 cents though)
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:13 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett Allen
oops, I forgot, I don't really care for the little yellow idiot boxes that pop up though, they tend to block the stuff I'm actually trying to read as I use my mouse as a visual pointer. (just my 2 cents though)
I beg to differ :-)
They're better called "intelligent" boxes since they allow you to quickly see the next layer of detail without having to open the whole thread. I find this very helpful since often times the thread subject is meaningless or misleading.

If they get in your way, just hold your mouse pointer a little further to the left or right.

Best Regards,
Pete
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements