DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   A Decade of DVi (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/500375-decade-dvi.html)

Chris Hurd September 5th, 2011 10:20 PM

A Decade of DVi

The DV Info Net forum is ten years old today. The very first post was made here at 11:20pm on Sep. 5th, 2001 and at the time, I had no idea if it would even take off. In fact, after the national events just one week later I was sure it wouldn't. But we soldiered on through the dark days of the fourth quarter economy of 2001 and here we are now, a decade later.

I don't do "forum birthday" posts that often (here's our second, seventh and eighth), but I think ten years is worth a little whoop and holler. Mainly I'd like to thank all of our readers, including our unregistered guests as well as those posting with active accounts, and our sponsors who so generously support DV Info Net. I'd also like to thank our amazing team of forum wranglers, especially Pete Bauer and so many others, some of whom, like Edward Troxel and Dylan Couper, have been here since practically the beginning. A special thanks to our "regular" posters and readers who are here day to day -- you are too numerous too count, and that makes me very happy. To anyone who has ever submitted an article, a review or a press release for us to publish on our content side, many thanks to you as well. And finally, but perhaps most importantly, there's one person who has been here since before the beginning and that is is our tech admin Jeff Kramer, and to him I owe him a huge debt of gratitude for keeping the boilers hot for so long.

When I started this thing back on Sep. 5th, 2001, I had no idea where it would go and to this day I still don't know what will happen next, but we've made it a decade -- I'm not sure how that translates in internet time, but we've definitely still got a long way to go yet. Thank you all... much appreciated!

Chris Medico September 5th, 2011 10:33 PM

Re: A Decade of DVi

WOOT!

Happy Birthday DVInfo. I've enjoyed being here!

Also great to finally meet you Chris H. at NAB this year.

Ted Ramasola September 5th, 2011 11:16 PM

May DVi continue to provide the cerebral nourishment necessary to wade through the technical and creative challenges that confronts today's film maker!

Cheers!

Bob Hart September 5th, 2011 11:43 PM

Chris and all the other mentors and moderators. Congratulations on reaching this milestone when more than a few others have come and gone.

Your close attention to quality and integrity have certainly paid off.

There's a few innovations and enterprises which might not have got off the ground or if they did may have prospered differently if dvinfo had not been a vector for their genesis. Sponsorship has not been a one-way thing here.

Lorinda Norton September 6th, 2011 01:19 AM

Definitely a big whoop and holler for ten great years of DV Info Net! It has been quite interesting watching the board grow and change over the years.

Thank you, Chris, for providing this amazing resource for pros and beginners alike. Many of us have even made lifelong friends here--an aspect you may not have anticipated, but of which you should be proud. You are pure gold, CH.

And thanks so much, Jeff, for all the wizardry behind the curtain!

Chris Soucy September 6th, 2011 01:23 AM

I take my hat off to you all.

Wonderfull site, well policed, well mannered, infinatly informative and I get a chance to share my meagre knowledge as and when required, what more could anyone want?

There's a good reason it sits there on my Task Bar 24/7/ 365, and believe me, there ain't too many as make that hurdle.

Have a beer (or three) on me, pay you back when you make it to NZ.

CS

Mike Beckett September 6th, 2011 01:41 AM

Congrats to Chris and all the team! And all the forum contributors too, this is truly the most friendly and knowledgeable video production resource on the Internet.

Sometimes I have to pinch myself just to make sure this is real, it is an unbelievably useful (and addictive!) website.

Simon Wood September 6th, 2011 02:27 AM

Congrats on the 10 year milestone!

On the internet I find some boards are over regulated, while others are not regulated at all - but DVINFO always strikes the right balance.

I'm sure its hard work behind the scenes; so thanks for all your endeavors in making this the useful and informative site that it is.

Mick Jenner September 6th, 2011 05:21 AM

Congratuations, definately the best forum of its kind!

Mick

Don Bloom September 6th, 2011 05:29 AM

Happy Birthday (anniversary?) to DVi. It is my home away from home and the best forum around not just in the video world but PERIOD! Well Done!

Les Wilson September 6th, 2011 05:35 AM

Woo Hoo! Love this "place".

Andrew Smith September 6th, 2011 07:13 AM

Is there anything as truly impressive as longevity? Well done.

Andrew

Jenn Kramer September 6th, 2011 08:55 AM

Hooray for the first decade!

Jeff Anselmo September 6th, 2011 11:40 AM

Congratulations Chris and everyone at DVi! May y'all have another great 10 years!

Shaun Roemich September 6th, 2011 02:50 PM

Happy Birthday DVi and a grand THANK YOU to Chris for providing the opportunity and to all the Mods for their (often THANKLESS) commitment to making this a positive place to share information and pose questions...

Dan Keaton September 6th, 2011 04:33 PM

Dear Chris,

Congratulations!

Have a Shiner Bock, you deserve it!

Your's is the forum that all others look up to.

Angelo Ucciferri September 6th, 2011 05:11 PM

The 10th birthday is acceptable for basic celebrations. But I've read on other forums that for professional celebrations, the 15th or even 20th birthday will yield much better results. The 10th lacks sharpness, exhibits significant artifacts, and doesn't hold up well in post. If your budget is tight and can spend just a little bit more, even a basic upgrade to the 12th will result in much better low light performance and higher bit rate. Bottom line, I wouldn't count on the 10th for indoor run-and-gun celebrations, but it will work for outdoor celebrations in ideal conditions.

Congrats on 10 years DVINFO!

Angelo

Andrew Smith September 6th, 2011 05:43 PM

I wonder if there is an audio or video format that DVi has outlasted? Ten years is certainly a long enough time.

Andrew

Erick Munari September 6th, 2011 07:20 PM

I am very grateful to find a place full of people willing to share knowledge and experience, this is mankind at its best. Thank You Dvi for providing such environment.

Allan Black September 6th, 2011 07:27 PM

I remember when I was 10, couldn't wait till I was 20 .. legal, drivers licence and girls girls girls!

Now I sometimes wish I was 10 again.

Congratulations Chris and all, hope the Champagne corks don't pop the mics :)

Cheers.

Paula DiSante September 7th, 2011 08:26 PM

Congrats, Happy B-Day, and thank you!

Jon Shohet September 8th, 2011 12:49 AM

Love this place
Congratulation and many happy returns :)

Sabyasachi Patra September 8th, 2011 01:45 AM

Congratulations Chris!

A Decade is a long time. It is great to have a forum like this. It is natural that people come and go. However, I am sure lot of people benefit. Keep it up. All the best for the coming decade.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Paul Cascio October 17th, 2011 08:14 PM

Thanks Chris, for a great website. Congratulations.

Brian David Melnyk October 18th, 2011 05:14 AM

i'd still be stumbling around in the dark... thanks for the light!

Stelios Christofides October 18th, 2011 01:40 PM

ΧΡΟΝΙΑ ΠΟΛΛΑ means a lot of "healthy" years. This site is great and a standard of reference for all Forum site. Excellent work Chris!

stelios

Ed Fiebke October 27th, 2011 05:51 PM

I also want to say "Happy Birthday" to DVINFO.NET and to thank you, Chris, for creating this wonderful bulletin board!!

I don't post here often. Rather, I "lurk" here, read and learn. The information and experienced knowledge-base found here is phenomenal! This is a gem of a web site!!

Tim Bakland October 31st, 2011 05:28 PM

And, at the same time, I'm just noticing that Chris Hurd has posted his 25,000th post.

Wow -- congratulations, Mr. Hurd, on all fronts.

Chris Hurd October 31st, 2011 05:47 PM

Holy cow, I didn't even notice that -- thanks Tim!

Sure appreciate all the sentiments from everybody.

I had *no idea* this thing would be run as long as it has... and I have no idea how to stop it anyway!

Les Wilson November 1st, 2011 06:05 AM

25,000 posts and no bump in title above Obstreperous Rex? bummer.

Jack D. Hubbard November 2nd, 2011 12:35 AM

25,000 posts. Suitable for framing!

Sareesh Sudhakaran February 16th, 2013 05:37 AM

Missed this one. Belated congratulations, Chris!

Kyle Root February 16th, 2013 09:18 AM

I didn't realize I missed this post either.

Congrats!

I know I was reading this forum for a while before I posted, and my first post looks like it was on Feb 28, 2003. So, It's been about 10 years for me reading and posting here! Time flies!

This site has been a great resource over the years! Thanks so much for creating it!

Kyle Root February 16th, 2013 09:23 AM

I just had a thought... isn't this site an outshoot of the old GL1-411.com and XL watchdog sites? or something?... or no?

Chris Hurd February 16th, 2013 11:28 AM

Thanks Kyle and everybody else -- yes, it grew out of the old XL1 Watchdog site.

There's a "very brief history" (literally!) here: About DV Info Net for anyone who's curious.

Dennis Hingsberg February 16th, 2013 03:51 PM

Better late than never, but congrats Chris on DVinfo and I do remember the old XL1 watch dog, in fact I think you had published some an comparison I made between the XL1 and the VX1000.

Boy how time flies. (and technology changes)

Jonathan Levin February 21st, 2013 09:31 PM

I'm late to the party too. Congrats, although I think it's 11 years or so now.

I remember when I was 11. I think.

Jonathan

Chris Hurd September 5th, 2013 03:22 PM

Twelve years of forum goodness as of today. Many thanks to all hands old and new!

Don Bloom September 5th, 2013 04:01 PM

12 years??!?!?!
Wow, it seems like just yesterday it was 10. ;-)

Ralph Gereg September 5th, 2013 04:02 PM

Time sure does fly when you're having fun!
By the way Chris... how are your plans coming along for taking over the world?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1811533)
I'm hoping this thing will grow to the point where a lot of members are answering each other's questions... so I can lean back and rub my hands together... and move on to my plan to take over the world.

;-)