DVinfo interested in subforum about scriptwriting? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old September 28th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I haven't visited the other forums about screenwriting (I am at the moment, opening the websites) but for instance: at DVXuser you have that kind of board, and while I like DVXuser, I like DVinfo more, because I know more people (even only via their names), it's better moderated, I - personally - like the atmosphere here better and the moderation.
So I would just like it to have that all in the house, if you understand what I mean, and writing is a pretty important component of the filmmaking proces.
But I also fully agree that there should be much interest, counting the energy that it takes for moderators and such.
I understand both views on the subject (pro and contra) but I count myself at the pro side.

EDIT: I'm now looking at that Celtx program-website and it looks very promising and interesting! I'll give it a detailed look later, I've now downloaded the program.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Having decent moderation would be one big draw for the forum over the other sites. Another might be the quality of the posts. I think most people who would participate in a screenwriting forum at DVInfo would have a fairly realistic idea of what they need to accomplish with their scripts and what they are going to do with them after they are finished. People posting to the forums at purely screenwriter Web sites seem to be mainly dreamers tryng to come up with a "Lethal Weapon" clone or something. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a completely different vibe.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #18
Air China Pilot

Marco, I think that would be an important distinction you brought up.

Perhaps if the subforum was labelled to focus on indie screenwriting so the wider scope screenwriting is filtered out.

I agree on the moderation and on the real-names. I forgot about that. It certainly does cut down on the aggravation of battles between anonymous people. I've had my share on other screenwriting boards I will not name here.
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

As always, if there's enough of a demand from our members then we'll do it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #20
Major Player

I'd like to see a screenwriting section on here, too - I come from the superstore generation, and I like to get all my goods under one roof!
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Aside from Moderation and real names, what would be the format be? DvInfo is mainly a tech oriented place. Would it be generally about screen writing or different forums for different tools (Celtx, Screen Magic, Final Draft...). As much as I like DvInfo, I think most here would come under the wanting to make the next SciFi,Action Lethal Weapon type stuff. Just read through the forums dealing with what people are watching and talking about in regards to movies in general.

Not being negative, just wondering how it would really fit.
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Maybe people wouldn't have to post their script in a format, but just tell them some ideas or struggles or options, and hear what some reactions are and feedback.
You don't have to post a script to talk about scriptwriting :-)

But seeing as there isn't very much reaction on this thread, I don't think the subforum will come through. It's not a problem, I just though it would have been nice.

Best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #23
Major Player

There have been a fine number of threads floating around about giving feedback on certain scripts. I know that I've participated in quite a few over the years. There are many types of questions that can come up:

- Will you read and comment on this specific script?
- What software should I use for writing?
- How can I show that someone is lying, without saying it?
- How should I format my title page?
- Why does everyone capitalize character names when they first appear?
- What did you think of the Spiderman script? (not movie)

I think it would be a nice addition. So far, not so many people go there in this forum, but part of that could be that it isn't really nurtured. In 20,000+ users, there have to be more than a few who are more interested in how to develop a character than in how to avoid chromatic aberration. I'm one.
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I'm interested in a script writing forum.

I agree that it is a craft. As in any craft, there are lots of writing situations that many have no experience with and would like to gain from the experience of the community. Just like the other forums here.
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #25
Inner Circle

As a non writer, when someone asks me about it, anymore I tell them to download celtx and just start writing. Or if they have MS Word, download free templates and just start writing, using spell checking and minimal grammer checking. Get the Chicago Manual of style and a thesaurus if you need help, but just keep writing.

From what I've seen, and read, it takes a long time to get any good at it. Even if you are talented.

What I don't tell them is to go out and buy Final Draft or Movie Magic or any of the other commercial programs, because they won't make you a succesful writer, just writing makes you a succesful writer, and living and experiencing life itself.

Now...how could we expand on that?
Old October 31st, 2006, 09:13 AM   #26
Regular Crew

My entry into the dv world was first as an actor, then as a writer, so I could see the value of a script writing component on dvinfo. I agree that a thread would be a good place to start. There have been other threads about members struggling with ideas and they seemed to get good feedback. Go ahead and start one, I'll read it and try to post if I can.
Dino Santoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 10:10 AM   #27
Major Player

add one vote For

It might not get used as much as the general discussion boards, or the tape or sound boards. However, like the book section, I think a scriptwriting section would be very useful to people.

Seems to me that of course the scriptwriting forum would be used a bit less then the others. The thing is, we are spending more time making the movies then writing about them (aren't we), so our questions/posts would have the same weight balance - right?

Anyway, just wanted to vote for the board. I've been keeping up reading this topic since it started and I'll bet others are interested but not posting a "me too" as well.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 10:25 PM   #28
Regular Crew

I would like to use my third post ever on this board to muscle my way into the discussion and act as if my opinion matters as much as those who have been here for some time.

And I will use this boldness to also vote in favor of a screenwriting forum.
Ryan Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #29
Major Player

A screenwriting forum would interest me, not because I have anything to sell but out of a long-term interest in the use of language and its offspring, writing.

A wise man taught me that Language is the agreed use of agreed sounds, and that, by extension, Writing is the agreed use of agreed signs. From that base we can imagine a thousand reasons for shying away. Why complicate the world? But the result is that when we shy away and leave a gap ... Enter the noise dubbers ... A whole profession of snappers with the most modern synthesisers who pour buckets (called tracks) of expensively sophisticated waffle and piffle (called music) onto the tape, sometimes matched even rivalled by a corresponding load of "cool" images to project what? Frequently the dearly beloved "what" of these dubbers and imagers is their own reflections (in some mirror, I mean, not their thoughts, Allah forbid.) The rise of the dubbing mafia has now well and truly overwhelmed all sorts of scripts, good and bad.

The object of screenwriting should be communication, first, middle and last.
I may not even speak your language but if I want to write your script I must know what you want to say, who you're saying it to and, above all, why? Do we need good screenwriters? You better believe it. Could DVInfo provide a sounding-board? Of course it could. DVInfo is all about communicating and sharing ideas, questions, thoughts, doubts, beliefs, opinions, guesses, experiences, feelings, fears, admiration, again and again and (as you say in the USA) then some. Did someone ask "What's all that to do with videography?" Well, if you're not framing a story, what are you framing?
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #30
Major Player

The more time I spend working with film and television, the more I realise that it's all about story, story, story! Having a whole lot of fancy and expensive toys, the latest version of some super-dooper NLE and a whole lot of cool visual effects just doesn't cut it. You need a good idea - a good story to tell. I would love a forum dedicated to the story side of moviemaking. I concider myself a techie - but I'm starting to realise that making movies is so much more than technology. Count me in!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements