DV Social Networking? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old March 4th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #1
Major Player

DV Social Networking?

I was reading the following article this morning in the New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/03/te...fb8&ei=5087%0A

and the thought occured to me: why not a social networking site for users of dvinfo.net? This already is a social network, of course, but providing a social networking interface could lead in som really interesting directions.

Just a thought.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Might be interesting

We could share leads if they are out of our area. Maybe not so hot for dating, seems most everyone is male on this site.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

DV Info Net is what you make it -- let me know specifically what you'd like to see here in specific terms regarding a social networking interface, and we'll do what we can to make it happen. We already have the "Helping Hands" forum, but if it needs to be something other than a forum function, just say what that is.

Not a separate site, by the way, but another facet of *this* site. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
DV Info Net is what you make it -- let me know specifically what you'd like to see here in specific terms regarding a social networking interface, and we'll do what we can to make it happen.
Free beer would be a start.
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Free tequila.
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #6
New Boot

Youse Got my 1 NY vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
As long as it is good beer. '-}
Jeffrey J Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #7
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
Send out the Shiner!
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #8
Major Player

I don't want to do a shameless plug, but us DC area users are working on something along those lines. Essentially we're trying to bring all the various groups together by creating a repository of information and contacts. It is a non-profit venture. I'll make an announcement when I'm allowed to, but I would estimate the ETA to be the early Fall.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 12:15 AM   #9
Regular Crew

a taper-friendly live music forum?

Hi Chris,

I always thought it might be fun to have a forum here set aside for those who are specifically interested in filming live music. Like those in the wedding forums we would have a place to come to share tips and advice, etc--to let others know who we are, where we are and what bands and artists we are recording. Speaking for myself, after an especially good night taping a gig, it would be great to have someplace here where I could share a little post-show elation with others who are also actively taping live music.

The only caveat would be that the particular band or artist being discussed is in fact taper-friendly and that they have given the dvinfo poster their express permission to film their gig; those who post should also have been given permission by the venue itself to run tape.

Not only do the artists I film give me permission to tape their gig, but 9 out of 10 times they are excited to have someone present who is interested enough in their music to be willing to film them. I always offer the artist(s) copies of their performance afterwards and most of the time they are all too happy to have me spread them around. This kind of taper-friendliness is the core of the kind of forum I am thinking about here.

Anyway, you had mentioned being specific in regards to social networking and this is something that immediately came to mind.....

Cheers~

Mike
Michael Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #10
Regular Crew

MUsic

Hi Michael,

I do the same as you. Who do you record? Would I know any. Outside of Dallas, TX here.

Jeff Mack
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Music

Hi Jeff,

Rose Thomas & Damien Jurado are favorites of mine--they come here to Cambridge every year around October and I've recorded them twice already. I also had a chance to record Bridget St. John--it was a rare live performance of hers after a 20 year hiatus. I'm big into blues and have taped some local blues folks like Monster Mike Welch, Shirley Lewis, Shemekia Copeland, Carey Bell and Toni Lynn Washington. The Peacheaters are a great Boston-based Allman Brothers cover band--I've taped a couple of their gigs as well as another cover band named Blue Floyd who do some fine blues interpretations of Pink Floyd songs. I'm also known to schlep my gear to local festivals and such: Max Creek, Ryan Montbleau and Jon Butcher are among some of my favorites on the miniDV shelf....

I enjoyed the clips on your website btw, especially Kevin Welch w/Claudia Scott & Steve Lane; they look great. I'm still a newbie of sorts--most of the above mentioned shows were captured with my old Canon ZR-65 using the onboard mic. I've recently ugraded to a Panny DVC30 w/AT825 mic: the difference in quality of footage is like night and day. I'm having fun learning my way around the camera and hope to put it to good use at some shows toward the end of May.

Cheers~

Mike
Michael Rowe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements