Image verification for searches? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old April 6th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Image verification for searches?

What????

Love this site, I do.... HATE this new search engine. I haven't been able to find anything without searching outside the site via google. No matter how many times I type the sequence in the verifier, I get the same thing: "The string you entered for the image verification did not match what was displayed."
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

That image verification check should have appeared only if you're NOT logged in to the site. Regardless, I have turned that function off for the time being. My apologies for the previous inconvenience.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
That image verification check should have appeared only if you're NOT logged in to the site. Regardless, I have turned that function off for the time being. My apologies for the previous inconvenience.
Thank you. Please know that in no way, shape, or form, am I telling you how to run this site; I wouldn't even know where to begin. If there is reason behind the verification tool, please do not take it down on account of my remark. I didn't realize this option goes away once you're logged in.....
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Wrangler

From my experience, it's common on other sites to limit some of the functions, like searches, to registered members....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

There was a time when the Search function here was limited to registered members only, but then I realized we were getting a number of registrations just to use that function alone. I want the registrations to reflect actual participating members who choose to post and interact, so Search has been enabled for guests and lurkers in order to cut down on that (and non-active members, with zero posts who have not visited in awhile, are frequently culled out of the database).

Quote:
in no way, shape, or form, am I telling you how to run this site...
Believe me, friendly suggestions are always welcome. To be honest, I had no idea that guest searches even required that image check until you pointed it out. We'll see how it goes without it for awhile.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Wrangler

The image verification for non-members prevents an unknown person from using a bot to initiate multiple non-stop searches which would create something like a denial-of-service attack. Forcing a human to input a verification thwarts efforts to use automation as an attack mechanism.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Forcing a human to input a verification thwarts efforts to use automation as an attack mechanism.
I totally get that; I was just surprised by it, that's all....

I applaud Chris' efforts to ensure we are a real community. My only issue was that I couldn't ever get past the verification, and didn't have the foresight to log in and bypass it all together. My bad....
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements