DVC9 Feedback - "Brian Takes a Meeting" - Ronn Kilby at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 10th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #1
Major Player

DVC9 Feedback - "Brian Takes a Meeting" - Ronn Kilby

Let her rip folks - whatever you think about "Brian Takes a Meeting" by Ronn Kilby.

Got lots to do this week, so had to get mine in early. It was as much fun to do as it looks - and wait til you see the out-takes!
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #2
Trustee

Can't wait to see the outtakes. Great short. I kind of had the feeling that he had a video feed going though, maybe the device itself looked advanced, lol...
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #3
Contributor

Very Funny,

Way to improvise. The TeleCon 2000 is very nice. I'm trying to figure out what the thing that looks kind of like a light meter is, on top of the base unit. (I know, I know ... but what is it in real life).

I've got to hand it to you: it takes guts to dance around in your underpants in-front of so many virtual friends and colleagues.

I like the details like your racquetball safety goggles... the humor definitely increases the more often you watch it.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Daniel. The TeleCon 2000 is made from 5 items, glued together, listed here from bottom to top: BetaSP tape (base), AKG wireless receiver unit, Nikon rear lens cap, AKG 2 channel mini-mixer, diffuser dome from Sekonic light meter.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #5
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
BetaSP tape (base), AKG wireless receiver unit, Nikon rear lens cap, AKG 2 channel mini-mixer, diffuser dome from Sekonic light meter.
Rock and Roll! I hope you used hot glue!

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Great film....

Very "Risky Business" feeling. Don't know if it was intentional or not but great take on a great scene.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #7
Major Player

Actually laughed out loud. Don't let my boss see this or she'll never let me telecommute again. Loved the way he found swing for the fences.

Nice camera work in the opening. Generally good composition over all. Good tight editing. I appreciate the fact that you avoided the temptation to add 20 more seconds of him goofing off just because you could. That would have wrecked it. I think the pacing as it is is just right.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #8
Trustee

Ronn,

I envy folks like you who not only have the skills I admire but also access to acting talent of the calibre of Brian Minter.

I could not fine one single thing I would dare to suggest improvement on. Lighting, camera work, editing, and the general pace was tremendous.

Having spent half of my military time in the far east and photographed several folks in martial arts disciplines, Brian cracked me up with his samurai "cameo". Facial expressions and posture/posing made that sequence.

I really liked what you did here.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Great short. I like the idea and execution of the story. The timing is great, I think it would have been strange to go on any longer. Just enough to get the idea of what was happening. Sound was great, lighting looked good too.

I can't think of any issues with the film at all. Overall a really good implementation of the theme.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Loved it. Great ending!

Stacy
Stacy Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:30 AM   #11
Major Player

Ron,

Great lighting. You have a 25W in the practical on the table? Great music.
It sounded a little llike the good, the bad, and the ugly, western theme in there at one place. Good antics from your actor. He has mad skills. Can fake or play the guitar, juggle, and make that obscene hand gesture real natural like. I call that "good use of self."

Great editing too. Technically beautiful, but I'd kind of liked to have not seen the end coming quite as soon. Maybe he starts off the meeting all serious and reporting numbers, and then gets silly. But we only have three minutes.

I use to work in videoconferencing in the early days, so maybe not everyone saw the end in advance. Our favorite gag would be to all freeze and stop moving at the same time, the other side would think they lost the connection, and then they would say the things they really thought about you behind your back.

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:46 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Outstanding job. This was really funny. The ending was pretty easy to see, but thats one thing that made it so funny, you knew he would be found out! Sounds, lights, camera, music; all good job. By the way, how did you know how I behaved during my meetings?
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:52 AM   #13
Trustee

That was really fun to watch. Brian did a great job with his gestures and expressions. Your selection of music was spot on and matched especially well with the guitar sequence. I really liked the touch of starting with just the sound of the snore behind black screen before fade in. Nice touch.

I just wish my hair looked as good as his when I wake up (as opposed to just stumbling around the house all day in a cloud of eternal bed-head like I normally do.)

Great movie.

-Jon
Old August 25th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I enjoyed it very much. Nice pace and great story, and an ending with a twist made it great! Good job Ronn!

Mike
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Excellent idea! That would work so well as one of those "gotta get away" commercials? i believe it is for some airline?...

loved the samurai scene! as well as the last crude hand gesture he throws out as his boss is thanking him! That is definitely the way i feel when my bosses are thanking me.."from the bottom of their heart!"

Great film! best of luck!

Jesse

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!