DVC 9 - 4 AM- Darryl Ahye at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old August 14th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVC 9 - 4 AM- Darryl Ahye

This movie was shot at 4 AM. It's open to interpretation, but I have my own.

I wish I had more time to work out a more ground breaking idea, but it works for me...I never like missing a DVC so I got it done really last minute. I appreciate my friends for helping me. Bob was the crazy box kicker, Kevin was the irritated roommate getting some breeze and Kaya <---(Correct spelling) was the cute doggie, happy to be fed Sweettarts and Nerds (provided by Kaitrin)

Thanks for watching...and No, I cannot return your 2 mins of life....sorry. :P
Darryl Ahye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Well I'm just going to come out with it, what thee hail... nah, just kidding..I liked it. Kicking the box was funny, to me. The cinematography was appealing. The weirdness was also appealing. So for what it's worth, good job.
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

"Thanks for watching...and No, I cannot return your 2 mins of life....sorry. :P"

Fine, can you instead pick up my shrink's bill for the next few weeks. Thanks.

Seriously, I thought it was great. I'm still trying to nail down exactly what "it" is but I think thats part of why I like it.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Was he kicking the dog in the box?!? I mean I'm sure you didn't really, but how disturbing. The cinematography was very stylized and kind of cool. But I definitely didn't follow the story. Was it a drugged dog's POV?

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I wasn't able to take away any obvious meaning, but I loved the style and atmosphere, really well done. Plot might be overrated anyway, I loved this entry.
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Wrangler

Hmm….Darryl, I think you know I appreciate you, and the wide variety in your work. Your movies have been fun, interesting, and all over the place, which is cool! That said, in this one I just can’t handle what appears to be a guy terrorizing a dog. That is simply not cool, even if it appears later that the dog is okay. That wouldn’t be the case in reality. You can't trust that people will think "it's only a movie" and not be conditioned to think that it's okay to be mean to animals.
Old August 26th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #7
Contributor

Darryl, this was my favorite entry. Really nice. I think you just barely managed to get the THEME integrated into it though, but the theme was obviously just a point of departure.

I hope that those were just vitamins that were strewn over the table.;')

I see your point Lorinda, and I agree with you in principal without a doubt. However, the brutality to the dog filled box at the beginning of the film effected me like the bad language in some of the other films. It is a bit "shocking" and repulsive at first (also questionable as to what it's function is, in the telling of the story), but it becomes a part of the description of the characters that are being portrayed. At the end of this piece, there was no doubt in my mind that the little guy in the box did not suffer in anyway. I think that he/she represented what the characters in the film were experiencing themselves.

You are clearly an animal lover, and I agree that, although it would appear that this film finds some comedy in the torturing of a helpless animal, I think that it goes beyond that. I realize that I may be reading way more into it than what's there, I didn't find it funny. I do think that it is an excellently made piece, an insight into the insomniac existence of some young people ... who do too many vitamins at strange times of the night. It is dark and sinister, but I don't think that it condones the mishandling of animals ... At least I didn't get that impression.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Darryl, the way I interpreted it was the dog was viewing his new home and seeing it as very frightening. Obviously the kicking of the box would make it even more so. Weird yes, but I did like it. I loved the cinematography.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #9
Trustee

I think I get it!!! It is really a dream about meeting your new dog which ends up driving you nuts!!! Am I way off here?
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Bruce and Daniel got it concept a lotmore than everyone else. It's not supposed to be funny and I don't condone animal cruelty, (that's probably why the dog wasn't actually in the box).

Basically,The dog is having a frightening experience at her new house. The kicking of the box is the dog's mind exaggerating her owner simply knocking on the box to say hello.

Well, I'm sorry it offended some of you. The next movie I make won't have any box kicking, I promise.

Oh...Marco, that's way off from my interpretation but I made it okay for any other interpretations to work as well.
Darryl Ahye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #11
Wrangler

All that makes sense to me, especially after your explanation, Darryl. Plus, I knew by the guy being nice and saying he was sorry, giving him the treats, treating him well later on, etc., that he obviously doesn't hate dogs.

What bothers me (and yes, as a former animal welfare worker I'm hyper-sensitive because of the things I've seen) is the viewers out there in YouTube land who DON'T or WON'T get it--the ones who simply think the idea of shaking and kicking a dog around in a box is funny.

I will agree, and should have stated it earlier, that technically this is a very good piece. Darryl, your movies always go *ahem* outside the box. :)
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #12
Trustee

Wow...what a disturbing tttt-,,..--tt trip.

I loved the look of it, and your editing style really strongly conveyed the message of your movie.

I am pretty sure I got it when I saw a closeup shot of the dog's eyes, and there was a sense of clarity and wisdom in his eyes and told him all he needed to know. I dug that.

I have to admit, it took me back somewhat to my youth...although I never dabbled in drugs or box kicking, I did have a roomate for a year who was quite the 'cranker'...and there were many many 4 AM hours spent watching his frightened, drug-induced schizophrenic self pace the living room floor preaching about the coming apocalypse....and so on.

I haven't seen him in about 16 years, but man, your movie really brought back the memories.

You have a distinctive and clearly artistic style that I enjoy studying. Keep up the good work.

-Jon
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #13
Major Player

I loved the style and the mood of the film. But I admit I didn't get the story before you told it.
What is sure is you managed well to transmit the feelings of the dog to the viewer.
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!