DVC 10 "Are You Dead Yet" by Bradley L. Marlow - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 30th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kohl View Post
You use an unconventional editing style, particularly in the beginning part of the film (before you almost shoot your friend by accident). I think I would classify it as bumbling jump cutting. You have raised that to an art.
That's a great point to bring up, Daniel. No one does it better than Bradley.
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #17
Trustee

That was super funny, the berries "hyper" motion was great. Made me think "Jacob's Ladder"
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:18 AM   #18
Major Player

Bradley,

The jump cuts were very interesting at the top. I'm going to have to play around with that style. I learn something everytime I watch one of these.

Although I might learn some editing techniques from you, forget about ever going hunting together! The thing that makes the handgun shots work so well is Wally's calm exterior in the face of the gunfire.

I liked the rack focus on the berries, and the closeup shots on the berries as you guys are eating them. It gives them huge significance.

I saw a little "Altered States" in there too. Like to see the longer berry induced scene as well.

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:03 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Daniel and Lorinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
That's a great point to bring up, Daniel. No one does it better than Bradley.
You're very kind. :)
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:05 PM   #20
Major Player

Thanks Marco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
That was super funny, the berries "hyper" motion was great. Made me think "Jacob's Ladder"
I'm glad you liked it and thanks for the comments!
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:06 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks Dick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays View Post
Bradley,

The jump cuts were very interesting at the top. I'm going to have to play around with that style. I learn something everytime I watch one of these.

Although I might learn some editing techniques from you, forget about ever going hunting together! The thing that makes the handgun shots work so well is Wally's calm exterior in the face of the gunfire.

I liked the rack focus on the berries, and the closeup shots on the berries as you guys are eating them. It gives them huge significance.

I saw a little "Altered States" in there too. Like to see the longer berry induced scene as well.

Dick
I appreciate your comments. lol...yeah. I could be quite dangerous hunting with me. Be careful.
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:22 PM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley L Marlow View Post
To borrow a line:
Prairie Berries are in season and I can get some to you at a very reasonable price. :)
after i finish this ayahuasca journey known as the DV Challenge, i may have to take you up on it....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:57 PM   #23
Major Player

Aha Meryem

lol...I hear what you are saying. This DV Challenge is definitely a trip.

I want to thank you again for your comments earlier. I always really appreciate your learned take on filmmaking, your insightful mind and your warm heart. Even though you hang with the frozen Zombie crowd.

I'm leaving for South America now.
Old October 31st, 2007, 05:07 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
Hil-F***ing-larious. (Pardon my asterisks)

I won't go into the gun comments since I'm sure Bruce will cover that in his feedback :)

Ronn
Too damn tied up laughing my ... Well, you get the picture. I'm gonna be assless for awhile.

Bradley. I can't add anything unique to what others have said here. I thoroughly enjoyed that. One of the funniest things I've seen in a long time,

Masterfully and artfully done in every respect, can't wait to see the director's cut. You guys make one helluva team.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:20 PM   #25
Major Player

Quite funny. I enjoyed that the most so far.

The deer skull was creepy, too, so you didn't completely leave out the scaring factor. But it was embedded in comedy, so I wasn't too scared.

I agree with a lot of the above posts as well, so no need to repeat.

I was bothered by the rack focus shots of the berries-- no clue why they were there, and thought you were just playing with nature. Perhaps partly because I was looking at this with my filmmaker eye. After seeing the rest, it becomes clear, but it wasn't while watching. What the viewer expects can be tough, even if they are wrong to expect it because then it feels to them like the film is wrong... tough. I know there's a bit of that with my entry in that it's dark, so people think they should be able to see more.
I think it could be a bit improved if he was shooting at the berries. Could make for some fun closeups too, of them exploding from a bullet, if you actually could fire ;)
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:14 PM   #26
Major Player

Thanks Bruce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
Too damn tied up laughing my ... Well, you get the picture. I'm gonna be assless for awhile.

Bradley. I can't add anything unique to what others have said here. I thoroughly enjoyed that. One of the funniest things I've seen in a long time,

Masterfully and artfully done in every respect, can't wait to see the director's cut. You guys make one helluva team.
lol Bruce. I'm cracking up that your cracking up so hard! Thanks for the comments and I'm happy you liked the film.

Now...go find your ass.
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:23 PM   #27
Major Player

Thanks D Ross!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ross View Post
Quite funny. I enjoyed that the most so far.

The deer skull was creepy, too, so you didn't completely leave out the scaring factor. But it was embedded in comedy, so I wasn't too scared.

I agree with a lot of the above posts as well, so no need to repeat.

I was bothered by the rack focus shots of the berries-- no clue why they were there, and thought you were just playing with nature... After seeing the rest, it becomes clear, but it wasn't while watching. What the viewer expects can be tough, even if they are wrong to expect it because then it feels to them like the film is wrong... tough...
I think it could be a bit improved if he was shooting at the berries. Could make for some fun closeups too, of them exploding from a bullet, if you actually could fire ;)
I appreciate your comments Daniel.

The take on the berry shot. I understand that everyone will have a differing reaction on such shots and placement of said shots.

Yes, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to hit those berries with the rifle, the sidearm or even an oversized plastic baseball bat.
Old November 1st, 2007, 03:34 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Yes, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to hit those berries with the rifle, the sidearm or even an oversized plastic baseball bat.
Hahaha. Well, could have had a scene like when you shot at your buddy, but then again, would have taken too much time.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:56 AM   #29
Major Player

Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ross View Post
Hahaha. Well, could have had a scene like when you shot at your buddy, but then again, would have taken too much time.
Yeah. We overshot footage as it was. This cut came in at exactly 3:20 (the limit) :)
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:23 PM   #30
Major Player

Well, yes, but remember you DID put the strange snap zooms in there, which only made sense on a second viewing.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!