DVC 10 - "Unforeseen" - Marco Wagner at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old October 30th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #1
Trustee

DVC 10 - "Unforeseen" - Marco Wagner

Well....this project started late Friday and we all agreed that this was to be fun first and foremost, if something came of it great, if not -we had fun. Our victim, Krystal, had never acted before but wanted very badly to try. Cool. She was nervous but very willing. The killer had been in a few very old bits we did like 5 years ago, James, great to have him in a role he could sink his machete into.

We didn't get to finish everything i had in mind - so i pieced together what i had to work with to make what could be called "a random killing". Kinda surreal. I didn't want to be on the wall of shame :-) so WYSIWYG.

As always, criticism is welcome.
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Marco!

Having fun is definitely a criteria to follow.

You had some great stuff in your film! That James Bad Ass Bass Dude was perfect for this part. Your new acress, Krystal did a wonderful job and should be very proud. Especially knowing that this was her first time.

I liked your sound design too. Really enhanced the feel of this film. James and Jon did a hell of a job on that music composition.

That wide shot of Machete Man just standing there is my favorite.

I liked the dizzying editing you did as well.
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #3
Trustee

Thank you, i'm sure all of them will be really happy to hear those comments. Jon did all the eeerie electronica stuff. James did the basslines, and other out-there stuff inside that bass track package. I loved that shot of him standing there, it even gives me the creeps. :-)
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #4
Wrangler

Did she lose her cell phone connection during the call to 911? Dang! That happens to me all the time! (losing the connection--not calling 911) Now I’m going to be paranoid…

Okay, Marco, this is the movie that has come the closest to scaring me. The victim tried to do everything right—calling 911, telling the guy she’s calling the police, not going outside; yet, nothing worked. That is scary.

The spookiest sequence for me? The motion detector with the guy there….and then not…
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Smack me upside the head, I forgot to comment on this one. Sorry, Marco!

Another of my favorites, the score gave me chills. Very, very well done. If I may be so bold, I would suggest having obfuscated the gentleman's face, as I found it less frightening to be menaced by someone who I can clearly see. Your excellent visual style helped, but I still think he was a tad too visible. I'd also change his wardrobe. For someone exhibiting such supernatural movement, he does come off as kind of a 'regular guy' in the t-shirt. I'm not sure what I'd do, though; maybe a cloak or long coat would have helped. Just that extra touch of mystery, you know? One more layer of "what the hell am I dealing with?"

Really not a big deal, considering the audio; it takes the cake for scares by a mile.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
Did she lose her cell phone connection during the call to 911? Dang! That happens to me all the time! (losing the connection--not calling 911) Now I’m going to be paranoid…

Okay, Marco, this is the movie that has come the closest to scaring me. The victim tried to do everything right—calling 911, telling the guy she’s calling the police, not going outside; yet, nothing worked. That is scary.

The spookiest sequence for me? The motion detector with the guy there….and then not…
Thank you very much Lorinda! I wanted that touch of realism with a smart victim, still a victim, but short of a gun and lightning quick reflexes -smarter. This was filmed in my house, I have 4 weatherproof CMOS orb cameras with audio mounted around my house for extra security. They came in HANDY for this, finally. They are b&w, and have that creepy wide angle, gotta love it. Four cams with 60ft of powered cable each + switch unit for $114 -they have lasted two years outdoors in Phoenix!

The cell phone connection, yes, she lost it. I also, if not noticed, set the LCD light timeout on that old blackberry she is using to go off exactly when the dialog starts for the address. She did it on the first take!
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens View Post
Smack me upside the head, I forgot to comment on this one. Sorry, Marco!

Another of my favorites, the score gave me chills. Very, very well done. If I may be so bold, I would suggest having obfuscated the gentleman's face, as I found it less frightening to be menaced by someone who I can clearly see. Your excellent visual style helped, but I still think he was a tad too visible. I'd also change his wardrobe. For someone exhibiting such supernatural movement, he does come off as kind of a 'regular guy' in the t-shirt. I'm not sure what I'd do, though; maybe a cloak or long coat would have helped. Just that extra touch of mystery, you know? One more layer of "what the hell am I dealing with?"

Really not a big deal, considering the audio; it takes the cake for scares by a mile.

Robert,

Thanks a bunch for your review and suggestions. I would've loved to have had more time for this. I was fresh off of a music video AND parents wrangling me for "rockstar" pop warner videos, lol...

Your, right, he probably was a tad too visible by most standards. I think I would've done some make-up and a bloody doctors coat with an ID (not his) still on it. If had even more time in post, some face tracking and distorting.

For audio, thank you very much -I can only be credited for mixing the two audio tracks I was given and also putting certain pieces of them in specific spots. The largest part, the creation, goes to James Ray and Jon Morris, two wonderfully talented musicians and friends. Obscure minds think alike, lol.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
I also, if not noticed, set the LCD light timeout on that old blackberry she is using to go off exactly when the dialog starts for the address. She did it on the first take!
You’re right! That is cool.

After reading Robert’s post I went back and watched the movie again. I agree that the sound on this one is the scariest—hands down.

About yours and Robert’s discussion concerning seeing the guy or not: No, no, no! Leave him alone! He’s disgusting, creepy, angry and menacing in his stark, real self—all the things that would scare the daylights out of any woman.

edit: Heh heh...please don't tell your actor I said that, or just remind him that he did a heck of a job playing a ROLE. :)
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #9
Trustee

Now THAT is funny!!! THank you again, :-) I'm still very happy with what we created vs. the little time we had to tape it. And we had a blast, I'll post a couple bloops later this week. One in particular floors me every time.
Old October 31st, 2007, 05:05 AM   #10
Major Player

When the theme was released and they said scare us this is what I had in mind :) Nice and dark and you let our imagination help us with the gore. The security system was a nice touch! After having his face hidden for the first few bits I was hoping for some sort of deformity or something when you revealed him. That or continue it with him in the shadows. He did look rather sadistic so it did work though :) Overall I really like your film :) For the parts where she was trying to call and it was very dark, how did you light your scene? I had some very dark images that I had trouble bringing out for everyone to see, Did you film so you could easily see it on camera and then drop the exposure or was it filmed as is? One other idea for "next time", I didn't use it in mine but if you ever stab or hack at someone, have em actually put the blade into some fruit, maybe a watermelon, it gives it a much more painful looks when they have trouble pulling it out :)

Good job :)
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:40 AM   #11
Wrangler

ok, if creepiest is the criteria, you knocked the ball out of the park, marco.

this kind of reminded me of an excerpt from "twin peaks" -- no direct comparison here, but more vague and associative...something about how david lynch has that knack for getting underneath your skin and crawling around in there, like some kind of tick. this had the same feel.

good horror has that ability to stay under your skin with that feeling of fear after the movie ends...at least, i think it does, i hate being scared for real and tend to avoid the genre (so why did i masochistically sign up for this scream-fest??).

shiver me timbers, i need a bath!

what i'm finding most amusing is the stark contrast between the film--so darn dark!--and the always cheery marco waving at us as if nothing happened..."we had a blast"

what a good time was had by all, carving up the victim! fun time fun times!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:27 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
For the parts where she was trying to call and it was very dark, how did you light your scene? I had some very dark images that I had trouble bringing out for everyone to see, Did you film so you could easily see it on camera and then drop the exposure or was it filmed as is?

One other idea for "next time", I didn't use it in mine but if you ever stab or hack at someone, have em actually put the blade into some fruit, maybe a watermelon, it gives it a much more painful looks when they have trouble pulling it out :)

Good job :)
Thank you Josh!!! I really appreciate the review. The dark scene where Krystal was on the phone was filmed with my VX2100, it works great in dark areas. I did nothing special, I actually told myself that for this piece I wasn't going to be anal about exposure, steadiness, focus, shutter, etc. I actually let the VX deal with the light on its own (auto), a first for me. I had the living room lit up enough to not make the kitchen super ugly. The backyard being lit helped through the window. The light from the phone was the final piece that helped the light on her face. I purposely let the camera have gain and noise.

The watermelon, yes, I was supposed to go get one before the shoot but ended up spacing that. That would've been really nice :-)
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:36 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
ok, if creepiest is the criteria, you knocked the ball out of the park, marco.

this kind of reminded me of an excerpt from "twin peaks" -- no direct comparison here, but more vague and associative...something about how david lynch has that knack for getting underneath your skin and crawling around in there, like some kind of tick. this had the same feel.

good horror has that ability to stay under your skin with that feeling of fear after the movie ends...at least, i think it does, i hate being scared for real and tend to avoid the genre (so why did i masochistically sign up for this scream-fest??).

shiver me timbers, i need a bath!

what i'm finding most amusing is the stark contrast between the film--so darn dark!--and the always cheery marco waving at us as if nothing happened..."we had a blast"

what a good time was had by all, carving up the victim! fun time fun times!

Oh Meryem - i was waiting for your review, muha ha hahah. Thank you greatly for your take on this. I only wish I had another day or so to really make what I had envisioned -but I'll take what I got. After 28+ years of watching horrors I finally got to regurgitate some of mine own ideas. I'm very much liking it and it has motivated me to push up production of our full length horror/thriller.

When i first started cutting this piece -it started giving me the creeps too, at that point I knew we had something to work with. I remember clapping and looking at my wife "James is creepy, and I love it".

The always cheery Marco has a deep dank dark side, hah ahah ahahahh.
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:50 AM   #14
Wrangler

yer scaring me, my friend. get out there and shoot some more "desert playground" or something and shove that dark doppelganger back into the rat-infested, cobwebby coffin from whence it came.

quickly, group hug and a john denver sing-along, before it's too late for marco!!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:38 PM   #15
Major Player

Marco,

This is the scariest one I've watched. The real surveillance camera added a believable element. The killer showing up on camera and her turning around to see the killer behind her works.

Great audio as mentioned before. I also loved that it was shot in B&W.

There seemed to be a flash of orange color in the monitor when she turns it on, but I couldn't tell what that was. I was expecting color to come back into things at the end, maybe red blood or something after seeing that flash of color.

Pretty creepy. I bet you could shoot something pretty scary if you wanted to expand on it.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!