DVC11- An Angel's Light - Chris Barcellos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old December 16th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #1
Inner Circle

DVC11- An Angel's Light - Chris Barcellos

Hey all. This was a fun event for me. Shot this with all four of my grand daughters- just the five of us....

I experimented again with the HV20, 24p, and a Letus 35a adapter, modified with a double achromat for this one.
Old December 18th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Chris,

This reminds me of a Hallmark movie! Really ambitious, really difficult, and by golly, you pulled it off.

Your actors/grandkids all did very well—I was especially taken with “Jade's" performance in one spot. They all seem like neat kids, too.

Loved the music you chose. Here I feel like such a tough ol’ gal, yet near the end when good things happen and the music swelled like it did…

Very, very nice. I hope you feel pride in this movie, because you did a wonderful job.
Old December 18th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #3
Wrangler

Because I'm ignorant about your setup I didn't say anything about the technical aspects of your movie, but just want to add that I thought your images were beautiful in many ways, so your experimenting is working well. After dealing with (and failing in) low light situations I felt like you did a good job with those scenes, as well. :)
Old December 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #4
Major Player

I agree with Lorinda. I think the scenes at the end with only the tree for light were beautiful. It was a nice piece over all, but then when you got to that I though, "Oh, lovely."

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #5
Trustee

I loved your use of haunting music, how it foreshadowed the tragedy as it first happened and carried me along throughout the story. Perfect use of music. I have always liked music which had female choir-type voice accompaniment. Reminded me a bit of Lalo Schifrin's "Amityville Horror." Your child actors were fabulous. Your lighting was very good, particularly the night shots in the girl’s bedroom and around the lit tree. I am not lying to you: I loved the story and, yes, even I teared up at the end. Thank you for this entry. Can you tell me what Smartsound library has this song?
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks for the comments, all.

Low light in bedroom scene was accomplished by using a single low wattage semi spot (tiny work light I got somewhere), I softened using wax paper. Shot it shut down a bit on the Letus HV20 combo, and then in post darkened more, and then color corrected taking the whole shot a little toward blue.

With the scene with girl looking up at tree, used same light just laying on the tree with waxed paper again, then in post used contrast and brighteness jagging up and down in close key frames to get the glowing up and down look.

Of course tree shot alone, were just that, I did try to lock the gain off on the HV20, but may have kicked in some.

Jessica, who played Jade, is quite a character, and I agree, she really got into the role.

My oldest granddaugher, Kassie is thirteen we made her be the mother. She wasn't excited about that, but handled it like a trooper.... We had to keep her out of focus or her features out of frame as much as possible...
Old December 19th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Chris,

I wondered why we weren't seeing the mother. .. Nice "dark Christmas" theme. Your child actors are very good. Really great music, and lighting.

I think the dropping of the angel was done well. I also liked the shot on the Wild Turkey. I find bourbon to be a great aide this time of year.

I liked this one so much, I'll give you a couple of "adds" that I'd like to see in in a reedit. The moment of "revealed sight," could be stronger. Maybe even a POV of an out of focus tree, coming into focus and a close up on the girls expression as she rediscovers sight. I'd also kill the early line about "I'll get my sight back" as it gives away the ending.

But really nicely done "Hallmark" short.

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #8
Major Player

I think you accomplished the movie you were trying to get very well. This type of movie is not one I tend to watch but I still enjoyed it and thought it was well done. A twisted dark side of me was hoping that the second girl would be hit as well but you stayed the course and delivered the correct movie. Well done to you and especially to all of your actresses. I was expecting a mom who was troubled to be finishing the whole glass in one go as opposed to the sipping but that is me ;)
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Chris!

What a great little story!

Your Granddaughters Kenzie, Emily, Cassie and Jessica were all adorable and did a nice job with each of their roles. I'll bet you had a great time making your film with them.

Young Lisa was so cute. "It's pretty."

I liked the accident scene. Kassie's scream of "Lisa!" was very convincing. Well done.

Older Lisa - "Don't stomp on my dreams!" This scene brought back some memories of certain family dynamics with alcohol and controlling, twisted thinking elders. Phew!

Jessica's character Jade. Children are priceless! I am always amazed at their straightforward and blunt questions. They do not have an adult set of filters, thankfully so. Her question about "why can't you see" - was perfect!

I liked the Enya-esque soundtrack too. Was that a Smartsound version?

Constructive: Given that your cast did such a good job, maybe a just few close ups on their faces, especially during those intense emotional moments. I was already identifying with them and think a few tight shots of those little faces would add to that effect even more. (Though I do understand why you didn't do so for the Mother character). What do you think?

Happy Holidays Chris!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!