DVC 11 - Santa's Joy Ride - Kris Holodak at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 17th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Major Player

DVC 11 - Santa's Joy Ride - Kris Holodak

I had a really good turn out of cast/crew this time around, which made shooting a lot of fun. We were cracking each other up a lot.

Same gear as always: DVX100, audio technica shotgun on a boom pole, couple of Lowel Rifa lights. Edited with Final Cut.

Hope we made you laugh.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

Laugh? You bet!

I’ve got LOTS to say about this wonderful piece of work, but don’t want to spoil the fun for others. For right now I’ll just say this: I loved it, Kris! :)
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Nice special effects at the end :) Loved the range of sighting witnesses.... must have been fun to shoot....
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Kris,

To me the writing and dialog was the best part of your short. I loved "repeating blue lights mean they have come in Peace." Like everybody knows that. To me, repeating blue lights means I'm going to have to blow into a straw and call my lawyer.

I loved the "shallow chick" "Paul's porsche is blue, it was a sign from God." You can't argue with that reasoning. Lot's of funny dialog. But I expected the flashing blue on the cell phone video instead of the red dot.

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays View Post
Kris,
But I expected the flashing blue on the cell phone video instead of the red dot.

Dick
We were going for the idea that everyone remembers the same event differently and will often see what they want to see. So the light was meant to be Rudolph's nose, but they all saw something completely different and completely wrong.

Might have helped if we made Paul's Porsche some other color so that we didn't have two people seeing blue.
Old December 17th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #6
Trustee

Oh! I LAUGHED!

Kris:

The acting was superb and my first thought was that you had hired professionals or local theatre actors. Your Santa reminded me of one of my guys! Total wiseguy! Total party animal! I loved your version of Santa!

I also loved how you covered all the differing eyewitness perspectives. That happens to be my favorite type of narrative style. I laughed. Thank you for this!

By the way, isn't the DVX 100 just the bomb? I used mine on scene file #8!
Old December 17th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #7
Wrangler

Back again with just a few thoughts. If anyone reading this hasn't seen the movie yet and doesn't want it spoiled, don't read any further!

As Dick mentioned, the writing in this was great.

You all did so well in your interviews! Kudos to the gal who played the grieving widow. That would have been difficult with the rest of you cracking up during filming, yet, she did a great job, and her scenario turned out funny in a sad sort of way. I would have wanted to use a gel on that window, but if you’re like me, you don’t have a sheet of CTO that large.

Alien girl played her role perfectly. I, too, loved her line about the repeating blue lights; her delivery had me cracking up! (Dick, your scenario was pretty darn funny, as well.)

My favorite line came from one of the most fidgety Santas I’ve ever seen about the elves: “Sometimes they work so hard that they start talking about…unionizing, and… I don’t want any of that. So we threw them a party.” LOL!

Gotta mention, too, that this fellow trekkie appreciated your nod to Star Trek III. Very cool. Also had to smile that you got Blue in there once again.

Finally, tell the “shallow girl,” who was hilarious, to go for the guy who makes a lot of money. No wait…tell her to go for the one who’s hot. No wait… ;)
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #8
Major Player

Yo the Man, Santa!

Hi Kris,

Congratulations to your team on the fantastic entry - I loved it! The script was spot-on and the actors totally nailed their lines. The interview approach was simply brilliant. Damn, I'm jealous but look out next time - imitation is the most sincere form of flattery...

Oh yeah, I did want to mention that Santa's oratory approach could have been a double for "Ask a Ninja" - I could have sworn I was hearing Doug Sarine and watching him wearing a Santa suit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdS5lkeN8_8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ask_a_Ninja

Finally, wearing the sunglasses was pure genius. Santa had a lot of lines to deliver so if you didn't have a teleprompter, dark sunglasses not only helped established a cool-dude Santa but also would allow easily reading lines with an audience detecting eye movement.

Many thanks to you and your awesome team!

Michael Nistler
BridgeHands Video - "Crystal Clear"
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Michael,

I've never actually seen ask a ninja, but I'll go look now. We thought Santa was straying a bit toward Jack Nicholson, especially in some of the earlier takes. I tried to pull him back from that a bit because I wanted more of his own voice. The glasses were just because he didn't like the lights in his eyes, and I think he instinctively knew how cool it would make him look. He was the only one who took us up on our offer to ad lib if you want to. In fact, when he was agreeing to join us he took one quick look at the script and said, "I don't have to memorize this do I?" And I knew he could pull it off without. It took a couple of tries to make sure he hit all the right moments in his ramble, but he did such a great job.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Smile,
Kris
Old December 24th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Kris!

This was a blast!

Great writing and excellent acting. That has to be one of the coolest Santa's I've seen. Nice to see Nancy again and tell her she did a wonderful job, as did the others.

Cute little kid songs too. Go Kris Kringle Go. Were those your nieces and nephews singing? Cool.

Yay! Blue made the cut! :)

My favorite: I really liked the way you showed how each character has their own perception about the event in question. While they all may be wrong about what was really going on, you were so right in showing the truth of that particular phenomenon.

Happy Holidays!
Old December 25th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley L Marlow View Post

Cute little kid songs too. Go Kris Kringle Go. Were those your nieces and nephews singing? Cool.

Yay! Blue made the cut! :)

Happy Holidays!
The song was from my brother's annual Christmas CD from a couple of years ago (he was working on this year's until 6 this morning, can't wait to hear it). So the lead was my older niece and my nephews did the backing vocals and my brother did dragster santa.

And Blue always makes the cut. Couldn't leave her out of a DVC video. I'm just trying to figure out how to sneak her into the documentary I'm in the middle of. It's all about dogs, but she wasn't actually at the event in question so I'd have to completely cheat.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Happy Christmas.
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!