DVC12 - Pigmenting the Woods - Jeremy Doyle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 9th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Major Player

DVC12 - Pigmenting the Woods - Jeremy Doyle

I shot this with an HV20. I haven't really used this camera before so I was learning as I went. The biggest issue I had that I didn't notice until I captured the footage was a slight vignetting from the polarizing filter that I had on. It was a 37mm filter so I had to use a step down adapter and the vignette wasn't visible in the LCD screen. I thought about throwing a vignette on the whole thing and calling it art, but I'm already pretty deep in the "art" with this short the way it is.

Pretty much it's a commentary on what is missed with city life and the awakening process once placed in nature.
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Jeremy that was beautiful

amazing cinematography and flow to everything! Very artsy. I liked it alot.

I live in the country as well I completely understand where your coming from.

My only advice would be to end it with some even more extremely vibrant colors to contrast the beginnings black and white. something like red and green moss or even a fiery sunset.

Beautiful piece
Best of luck
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes I agree that it needs a stronger ending shot. I like the idea of a fiery sunset, that would really add punch. I'm going to have to shoot that and reedit.

The reason I ended on the last shot was the solitary tree in the field which signifies one connecting with nature. I don't think it works the way I was hoping though because I didn't make it stand out enough. Maybe a shallower depth of field would have worked better, but I don't think the camera would have been capable of that without an adapter.

I think it probably would have been stronger as well if I could have spent the whole day shooting so I could have gotten more of the early morning and early evening shadows for a more dramatic look than just the midday stuff that I shot.
Old March 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Wrangler

Jeremy, you worked well with what you had at your disposal. Late winter can have its own kind of charm. I enjoyed the peacefulness of your movie and am really glad you submitted this for us.

Even though there wasn’t anything to follow, I wonder if panning across the landscape every once in a while would have looked nice. Except for the occasional fluttering of grasses, weeds and leaves it could have almost been a photo montage. Just something to consider. I loved the composition on your last shot. I also appreciated the almost imperceptible changes you made in the coloring.

Thanks so much for slowing me down for a couple minutes of quiet music and pretty images.
Old March 11th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #5
Major Player

I would have loved to pan across the landscape, but I have a crappy tripod so there is pretty much no way I could have done it well.
Old March 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Oh, man, am I stupid. Until I just went back to Youtube and scrubbed through the video quickly, I didn't see that the colors get more and more saturated as you go. "Pigmenting the Woods", what am I, an idiot?

I don't think I would have gotten a sense of 'city', unfortunately, without reading your explanation here. I understand what you mean, and did feel the whole 'at one with nature' thing while watching, I just wouldn't have connected it with an escape from urban life. I also agree that footage taken later in the day may have helped, especially that last tree, which as you say kind of blends in with the background. If the sun were in a different place, some shadows might have made it pop out a bit. It still looks good, though, the way it's framed, and in such sharp detail, so it's a minor complaint, at most.

Your shallow field stuff is beautifully pulled off, you did that with no adapter? What kind of distance and aperture are we talking about here? Well chosen shots, whatever you did. I also liked the music; wouldn't have expected that from a library piece. Goes to show how little stock music experience I have, though, because it strings the shots together very well, makes it nice and cool, smooth, and easygoing, while still getting a sprinkle of punch and drama toward the end.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens View Post
Your shallow field stuff is beautifully pulled off, you did that with no adapter? What kind of distance and aperture are we talking about here?
Mostly aperture of 5.6 believe it or not. Lots of full zoom from about 5 feet away. My favorite shot is the second from last. It's pretty lost in the youtube version, but I actually get a pretty good focal roll down the line of grass. You can see a little shake in the shot because of how you pull focus on the hv20 and my crappy tripod, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much depth I was able to get. I also think the heat coming off the snow is gorgeous. It can only be seen in a couple of the shots however. And not very good on the web versions. But when I was watching it back on a plasma screen I was really astonished by it.
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #8
Trustee

Beautiful music. Beautiful images. The gradual vibrance and color saturation was timed and built nicely. I actually went into a slight meditative state while watching. Movies don't usually do that to me.

Except yours. Thank you for this peaceful, calming beautiful movie.
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I loved the concept on this one. You really pulled it off well. I concur on the comments of the cinematography and music. I worked together well. It actually made me feel peaceful (at least for two minutes). Thanks for a great piece.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Great piece, Jeremy! You frame your shots very well. It's amazing -- I could never see what you see with your nature shots. Have you been doing this long?

Love your depth of field shots too. I'd also like to see a rack focus shot somewhere in there at some point, or maybe a slow panning shot? It would give some variety between shots, and maybe give the audience a wider look within a close-up picture... to see both the forest as well as the trees, my mentor would say.

A very enjoyable piece. I'd love to see more. Cheers.
Joseph Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #11
Major Player

Very beautiful. You should enter the UWOL challenge. I like this more than some previous UWOL winners.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #12
Major Player

Man, head for UWOL you have a gift! I really enjoyed the look of this film and how well it flowed. It was extremely relaxing and very beautiful.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!