DVC 12 "Guests" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old March 10th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #1
Major Player

DVC 12 "Guests"

This is an experimental piece showing different guests of a hotel room at the same time of day on different days.

This is my first time entering the DVC, what an experience! It was brutal, but I'm looking forward to DVC 13

Technical specs: Shot on a hd100 using true color V3, Letus adapter with a Nikon 14mm AI lens, Audio technica mic. Cut in FCP 6 with no color correction.

Enjoy!
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Major Player

I really enjoyed this piece. I think it fit with the theme of change perfectly. What could possibly see more change than a hotel room!??

The only thing I would suggest would be to have used one solid lock down shot so that when you cut between all the guests the only thing changing would have been the people not the background. Hard to do with so many people coming in and out of the room.
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I loved the concept. Very artsy. I agree with Jeremy the only thing I would have changed was the lack of a locked down shot.

great job
Best of luck
Old March 11th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Not a good day for my computer monitor to be between two windows, I'll tell you that much. Once I pulled the curtains, things got much more viewable, but I'm still having trouble making out the details of the characters involved. Is there a thread that runs through all these different people, or is the lack of same what makes you classify it "experimental"? I still think the experiment was mostly successful. Could have been brighter, but I know what that's like, I've shot plenty of dark footage myself.

The idea was intriguing, and beside the slight jitter, I think you pulled it off. About the hotel room, may I ask how you did it? Real hotel, redressed living room, something else? Looks like the real thing to me. Speaking of which, I wonder how often they 'change' the sheets in these places. But that's another DVC.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Interesting editing (in a good way). It definitely shows that you didn't let yourself get lazy. The picture was well done (though I concur that a locked-down shot would have been better), but, oddly enough, I felt that the sound was the most powerful aspect of this piece. I could almost have watched this with my eyes closed and still had a rewarding experience. Thanks.
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the comments guys, they really mean a lot.

We were actually going for a locked down shot, I didnt notice the camera moved until we were in post! Same goes for the white balance. It was also a bit brighter in the LCD/Viewfinder, but the clips are really dark on my mac. They are fine on the DP's PC. Our lens only opened up to f3.4, If i had one of Alex's nifty pieces of change i would've probably sacrificed the wideness of the 14mm lens for a faster lens.

We actually rented a cheap hotel room and just shot for 7 hours without telling the management (definitely not reccomended, but when you only have 10 days.....)

Alex, the picture/sound editor/composer thanks you. this was the third short he's cut and second he's scored.

Keep 'em coming!

Jay
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #7
Major Player

Heres an higher rez version (and slighly brightened) for the folks that could'nt see much on the youtube link
http://thepegasuscompany.com/vids/guest_h264_480p
http://thepegasuscompany.com/vids/guest_h264_720p

Last edited by Jay Kavi; March 12th, 2008 at 02:52 AM. Reason: added hd version
Old March 12th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Major Player

THe brighter high res version makes this much easier to watch. The mood music is good, and I get a creepy feeling watching it like I'm a voyer spying on motel guests. I wanted to jump out with my knife and start slashing...

Seriously, I was expecting a sex scene somewhere in there. It's a motel room... If not a sex scene, maybe a drug deal. See a little extreme behavior we wouldn't normally get to see... That's all I'd add. Beautiful piece though and very original idea.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #9
Major Player

I saw the 480p file, and Dick's correct, the brighter version is much more pleasant. Nice to see everyone's face, would you mind telling us which part you played?

But seeing sex scenes and drug deals, Dick...are you sure we didn't? I could swear some of that audio suggested more than met the eye. Thought I caught an "oh yeah" and a "baby" in there.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #10
New Boot

re "Guest"

Hi guys, my name is Lee Stokes and I am the co-producer & co-director of "Guest".

Regarding the sex element, I definitely agree that was one element missing and should have really been in place.
But you know how it is using actors that we couldn't pay, and also, none of the production team had met any of them, so it would be difficult to ask nearly total strangers act out sex scenes!

There is one drug scene, the dude in a white t-shirt with really short hair has just gotten back to his room with a score.

The older fellow with a light blue shirt that keeps looking out the window is waiting for his hooker, thats as close to the sexual element as we could get.

Thanks everyone for watching & taking the time to comment!

Lee
Lee Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #11
Wrangler

Great concept, you guys. I get frustrated, because I wonder about some of the stories going on there and I’m not smart enough to figure out ANY of them! Thanks for explaining a couple of them; now, what’s the story on the guy with the dog? :)

By the way, I get tired of movies including what I call "obligatory" sex scenes in them. I expected one here and am delighted that you left it out, regardless of the reason.
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I also enjoyed the concept. I think it is difficult to pull this one off in a 3 minute film, because you really want to know more of about the characters. I also would have liked a little more lighting on the scenes. I will have to give the higher res versions a try. Good effort all around.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I like it -- a bold experimental piece that leaves you wondering about the characters. I enjoyed the fact that not everything is spelled out, and you're left to your own assumptions about each individual. How'd you come up with the idea?
Joseph Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
By the way, I get tired of movies including what I call "obligatory" sex scenes in them. I expected one here and am delighted that you left it out, regardless of the reason.
Yeah, but for every high class person like Lorinda out there, there are five of us gratuitious, leering, um, ...

I missed the drug score first time through. I did sort of get the guy looking out the window. I kept expecting the hooker to show up too.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Tran View Post
I like it -- a bold experimental piece that leaves you wondering about the characters. I enjoyed the fact that not everything is spelled out, and you're left to your own assumptions about each individual. How'd you come up with the idea?
Thanks Joseph (and everyone else!). We were eating mexican food and shouting out ideas and someone mentioned looking at change from a more abstract perspective. After a while we ended up with this.

Robert, your gonna have to guess which one I am.

Lorinda - the guy with the dog is missing a key portion of the scene, he's audtioning for something. I'll have to persuade the editor to let me show it to you all.

Dick - Next time, all smut! just for you ;)
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!