Morning Mail - Josh Chesarek - DVC13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 30th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Morning Mail - Josh Chesarek - DVC13

What can I say, We felt like being silly and we rushed this one more than normal. Was still fun to make. Certainly could use some polish but what doesn't? ;-)

Last edited by Josh Chesarek; June 30th, 2008 at 04:35 PM.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:36 AM   #2
Trustee

Ouch!

Hi Josh! I loved the music. It set the tone for your movie's playful mischief. Your gag timing and editing were very good. The whole thing flowed smoothly and was a pleasure to watch. How many takes did you need for the end scene and were there any near misses?
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:27 AM   #3
Major Player

She was right on target every time, but his natural reflexes kept getting in the way and he would block her kick. I think it was about 5 over all :) And the one that was used, actually made contact cause she moved faster than he could block ;)

Last edited by Josh Chesarek; July 2nd, 2008 at 04:57 AM.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:09 PM   #4
Wrangler

major spoiler alert!

This was definitely a “Simple Thought Production," Josh! Such a departure from your last thought-provoking film—and I loved it. But then, I specialize in simple thought...

I smiled at the manly slippers and then laughed when the scythe (or whatever it’s called) fell. Every gag made me laugh, but that bell at the ending! LOL!

I’d have loved to have been there when you all were throwing that golf club over the house. Bet there was all kinds of cracking up over that one. And who caught the rolling car?

Great job, as usual. Thanks so much for giving us another glimpse of your silly side. It was delightful.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Lorinda :)

We shelled out this thing pretty quick. So quick I had forgotten that I wanted to include some bloopers. During one of the golf club throws we actually got it stuck in a tree and I have video of my actors trying to get it back. Pretty good stuff. As for the rolling car, it was caught by the person in the front seat hitting the break :) Jenny hides really well when she wants too :)

Our goal was really to make something silly which as you noticed is pretty far from what we did last time. (But still well under the time limit ;) )

As for the bell. Every time I get in an elevator and get to to the next floor.... DING... I about fall down laughing and no one else understands why!
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Josh, not bad at all, I liked the timing for each and the last one was very unexpected :) I believe the music matched as well!
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:43 PM   #7
Trustee

I needed a good laugh and you sure passed one on to me. This was a very well done lighthearted short.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:43 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
I wanted to include some bloopers.
Post a blooper reel for us...please??? :)
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:23 AM   #9
Major Player

Will see what I can do today as I took the day off from work. :)

Thanks, Bruce, We just wanted to get some people to laugh, smile, shake their heads.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:12 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quite an unexpected ending.... and the sound effect was spot on "audiotizing" that feeling one gets when that unexpected groin shot is taken. Lot of fun packed in this short film.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:16 PM   #11
Major Player

That was a lot of fun. I've had mornings where I'm that oblivious. Probably most mornings really. It was a nice, engaging story, well shot. It's often the short and simple ones I like best. It's a real challenge to get a complete story across in less than 2 minutes. Well done.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM   #12
Major Player

Josh,

Good music, nice titles, simple concept, well executed, nice short.

Loved that the girl in the exercise video on TV was in the same position. I thought he would make it through the short without taking any shots.

I'd liked to have seen Jenny's realization and reaction, and some shared humor at the end.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #13
Regular Crew

BULLSEYE!!! LOL

It's just simply a great concept, Josh! The payoff at the end is priceless!

Nice foley work... clever trick using sound fx to create the rainstorm. And that cowbell ring... I'm still grinning from it.

As a detail, is there any significance to the handicapped sign?

"It sounds great... but I need more cowbell!"
Joseph Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Funny

Very nice approach in this movie. I liked the simplicity of the story. I liked how this was edited too. It moved very smoothly throughout the whole piece. The bell at the end had me laughing too. It kinda looked like her foot connected a little more than your actor would've liked, but that definitely helped sell it as painful. Good job.
Matt McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I thought this was a well-done well-paced film. It was nice it came in so short because it concisely told the story and didn't drag at all. I think one of the hardest thing is keeping any video short enough but you pulled it off well.
Paul Firth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!