DVC13 - Mugurel Dragusin - NOT ME at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 30th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Major Player

DVC13 - Mugurel Dragusin - NOT ME

This was my first chance to try the new Canon HF10, challenging for me as I waited till the last possible time and did the whole thing in 5 hours. Again I am using my subtlety, hope this time will be more clear on the message.

Enjoy and appreciate any feedback, thanks! :)
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Trustee

Mugurel,

The HF 10 sure produces a sharp crisp detailed image. Did you use the Cine mode?

Your use of camera movement over storytelling aspects of the scenes coupled with the seemingly matching tempo of the "dark" music really set the mood for the story and message you were presenting.

I thought the camera work and editing were very well done and very precise, and your actor did an excellent job. You?

For your first real try at using the HF10 this looks excellent.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:43 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Mugurel- This one left me scratching my head till the end was shown.

Spoiler- don't read below until you have viewed the movie !

I suspected this was terminal illness situation, and the reveal at the end confirms. Interesting message adn true, in the end. As a formerly addicted smoker reformed for more than 10 years now, I remember thinking all the time, what are the odds that I would be a victim.....
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Wrangler

Your work is so stylized, Mugurel, and always interesting. Tell me about the shot of the pills early on. Did you do that hand held – pull out while bringing it into focus?

Powerful message there, and well done. Because I know how quickly you conceived, shot and finished this one I’m even more impressed!
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:57 PM   #5
Trustee

Mugurel, your title design just blows me away. You have a career in it. There are places out there who just design titles for major motion pictures. You have the style and vision for it. I also notice that you tackle most of your projects alone and manage to submit a movie even without a bunch of actors and crew, is that correct? Beautiful, and sophisticated solitary pieces with a powerful message. I've been a fan of your work ever since your short about the blind man. I eagerly await your posts in hopes of looking for a particular effect to steal. I also appreciate your bravery in tackling a touchy subject.
Old July 1st, 2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank you!

Bruce: I did not use the Cine mode, I needed to play with the exposure and other settings so I needed the freedom, I shot 1080/30p. My actor it's me, in flesh AND bones :)

Chris: If you got the idea at the end, then that was the point, to watch it in clueless mode and get a punch line at the end, if I actually achieved this, I am satisfied, it's what I am looking to achieve in all my entries! I am fond of movies where you can't predict the ending. I am not a smoker though, well, it was 3AM in the morning and found my x-rays and well, it all the story instantly lay out in my brain.

Lorinda: The said shot, was made handheld, holding still, and zooming out very slowly. The autofocus mode on HF10 it's outstanding, it was ON at all times in my shots, and as you see there was no hunting, it did a great job. Also the OIS seems to work good as well as you can see. Glad you appreciate my entries, actually your comment about me and Meryem favorite's site YourTube made me say: OK, I'll show you! And started doing this thing. LOL

Hugh: Actually doing the title design is the part where I feel the most happy about, in each of my entries, I was actually thinking if there is a market for this. Basically being into graphic design, the creativity goes for these things. Yep, I am font of knowledge, and by knowing what involves to play a role and fit into some character, to edit, to make the soundtrack, to light the scene and so on allows me to understand better how should I tell a story, especially that I have you guys as test subjects to expose my work to :)

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Last edited by Mugurel Dragusin; July 1st, 2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: bolded the names for easier reading
Mugurel Dragusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugurel Dragusin View Post
Glad you appreciate my entries, actually your comment about me and Meryem favorite's site YourTube made me say: OK, I'll show you! And started doing this thing.
Whatever it takes... ;)

You're right; that camera performs well. I thought you pulled away and managed manual focus at the same time.

That was fast and good thinking, shooting and editing there, Mugurel. Glad you got it done!
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
That was fast and good thinking, shooting and editing there, Mugurel. Glad you got it done!
Being on the wall for the last .. 2 was not fun for me, brought extra motivation.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:32 AM   #9
Regular Crew

The opening of this short was absolutely gorgeous. And I loved the score as well. Did you put that together yourself? I'm curious as to how you go about assembling a very moody sound like you did. Do you watch the rough edit and just mess around with sound effects and music until it starts to feel right? Really nice job. I have to admit, I was a little let down that the big reveal at the end was just done with a title card. I think I would've liked it more if it was left a mystery. But this is a technically beautiful short. Nice work.
Matt McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:10 AM   #10
Major Player

Murguel,

The title design was so good, and I couldn't tell what the dark shadowy thing was, (the xray). It created an opening full of mystery and secret.
It looked like the professional start of a feature film. Your camera angles and framing and lighting are all fantastic, your acting very good too.

This is my favorite of all of your shorts that I can remember.

But the story is not one I want to see over and over again. You didn't make "The Incredibles" with this short. But everyone will be impressed with your editing, and D.P. skills.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM   #11
Major Player

Matt: Thank you, yes I did the entire work myself, had to, or be stuck on the wall again and I'm not too fond of that mold it has :) The soundtrack is made using what I call a positive feedback loop, not sure if technically it's the correct term for this, but basically it's a "microphony" in a controlled manner. It's a live process. Had to reveal the end that way as my past experiences showed me I am too subtle, to the point most folks would ask "what the heck was that all about?" LOL

Dick: Everybody seems to love the titles in particular which is very rewarding since it was my favorite part to work on.

Appreciate the feedback!
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM   #12
Major Player

Interesting piece. Very moody with the pacing and the music and all. I would have liked to see a bit more moody lighting to add to that. Your lighting wasn't bad it was just a bit flat. But here's a question, did he kill himself at the end? If so I would have been helped by having him take a handful of pills rather than just one. Nice job though. Good effort.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Holodak View Post
But here's a question, did he kill himself at the end? If so I would have been helped by having him take a handful of pills rather than just one. Nice job though. Good effort.

Smile,
Kris
Yes he did, well, i took that one for real, they are vitamin c pills :) Appreciate the feedback!

Thank you all for watching and providing your feedback! See you at the voting :P
Old July 4th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Mugurel -- I've got to agree with what the others have said... this is a very nicely stylized piece! It's just so dark and moody right from the start!

I think my favorite shot is the one where you shoot through the x-ray to get your actor's face. That's very creative!

Who noticed and who missed the pills that spelled "bye" at the end? It's a nice detail. I like how you didn't do a close-up of it, too. That would've been too blatant. It's there, it's subtle, it's perfectly placed.

The whole thing gave me the shivers. Nicely done.
Joseph Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Tran View Post
Who noticed and who missed the pills that spelled "bye" at the end? It's a nice detail. I like how you didn't do a close-up of it, too. That would've been too blatant. It's there, it's subtle, it's perfectly placed.
Cool! It seems you are the first one to notice this small detail :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!