DVC18 - MGM Iron Man 3-Gun Match - Lorinda Norton - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 17th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #16
Major Player

I have to admit, when Lorinda described this "shoot" (in both senses) this is what I pictured her geared up like as she "shot" this one:

Imageshack - italyoa4.jpg

I was glad to see her in Blue Jeans instead. Although when she did the interior of the "house" in the dark with some one with live ammunition, I was hoping she had some body armor!
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #17
Wrangler

Chris, ya big lug...I was half afraid to open that. ;) She's got the long legs for it; I would look more like a green Michelin tire man in a getup like that.

Wouldn't know where to look for the footage of the .50 rifle I shot (that Dick asked about) but at the risk of getting carried away, here's a still. It's a rather heavy thing--almost 35 pounds, I think.
Attached Thumbnails
DVC18 - MGM Iron Man 3-Gun Match - Lorinda Norton-dsc00155.jpg  
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #18
Major Player

Lorinda... if I knew how to incorporate the pic IN the post I would have rather than put you thru the agony of indecision <g>. Actually, much later after I put that up I thought "Gee I hope that isn't seen as sexist or anything."

I have no idea how I ran across that but when I did somehow I thought of your movie and you, and well, the rest just happened. I hope I did not offend.

Chris S.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #19
Trustee

Mike Gibson

Lorinda Norton
Wrangler

Ha ha! Bruce, I am so glad you enjoyed it! :) I thought of you more than once while I was out there, never imagining that you had ties with Mike. That is very cool.
=========End Quote================

I don't really have any ties with him, but our club has. If the match is a statewide or region, Mike can pretty much be counted on to be a sponsor. Local monthly matches just don't draw from a large area. Our San Angelo Gun Club had a reputation for having some of the most challenging stages going with more "nasty" movers and just plain fun to shoot at stuff. Typically for our "Texas 3 Gun State Championship" we'd draw competitors from both coasts.

The sponsors got a couple of free slots in the match, MGM never could send anyone to ours so Mike would say, "Give one slot to a lady shooter and one to a youth shooter". It was funny to see Jason's face when he found out he could shoot in that one. He was 15 that year and he got to do it again the next year at 16. He took the "High Youth Shooter" prize.

About 3 years ago I took first in my class unexpectedly. The shotgun stage and one pistol stage were in our 100 yard action bay and the match director had used the full 100 yard length. I complained to a guy 4 years older than me about it turning into an athletic event and said, "Damn if I'll run that".

Well we noticed the young guys walking it, loafing their way downrange so when my turn came I "hauled donkey" (had to go all the way downrange because many targets were "obscured" till you got near them), got to the end and stood there bent over "huffin 'n puffin" while the RO's scored my run. I picked up enough time points on that one stage to hand me a first place in my class against 9 others.

With a "baby" Glock 26, too.

Think I'll go shooting tomorrow evening...
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
when she did the interior of the "house" in the dark with some one with live ammunition, I was hoping she had some body armor!
Actually, if you watch it again, there is no "live fire" going on while she is in that "shoot house". She got a separate "guided" run through it for strictly camera only. At sanctioned matches safety is paramount and they take no chances so I think she was set up with the chance to video someone "going through the moves". Looked real good, too.

Even the RO (Range Officer) running the stage will usually stay just inside the entry door and not follow the shooter in a darkened "shoot house", until the shooter is done and ready to "show clear". And of course the shooter is not supposed to fire a round without a tactical (super bright like SureFire) flashlight clearly illuminating a target.

She was safe.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
I have no idea how I ran across that but when I did somehow I thought of your movie and you, and well, the rest just happened. I hope I did not offend.
Not a chance. I thought it was funny. :) By the way, when I followed the RO through the surprise house his rifle wasn't loaded. They're a very safe bunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
With a "baby" Glock 26, too.
Heh. You've got a great memory, Bruce! ;)

Edit: Looks like Bruce beat me to the explanation on the surprise house run through. The guy I was following is one of the designers of the "house." He's an Army guy who is headed back to Iraq; part of the reason the house was done this way this year is so he and his guys could practice in low light conditions.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!