DVC22- The Friend Zone by Chris Barcellos - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 8th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: DVC22- The Friend Zone by Chris Barcellos

Joseph:

Yes, breaking window was done in post, in Vegas.

Brick was a styrofoam block painted and treated to look like a brick. Actor through it at window from various angles. At that point wasn't sure how it would go.

As a temporary filler till I did something more elaborate, I used a three track sandwhich. In upper and bottom track same scene. In middle track I used a marble heavy grain texture screen from Vegas. On the upper track in fours successive frames I created a growing mask. The first was just a small circle the last covering the door. Used feathering for effect. Then, so the scene behind the door would still be visible, I made the middle track 50% transparent. It worked so well, it turned out I did feel like I had to do anything more elaborate.

In the cut away after, I used decorative glass from Michaels to throw on the floor along with the styro brick again.
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I think that taking on serious subject matter such as cutting and (attempted) suicide is such a daunting and difficult task, and I applaud your efforts of tackling it in a 5 minute film! I know you mentioned you were challenged in paring down the script and fitting in all the content, and that makes sense. The relationships between characters in a film like this are vital and I think you and others correctly identified that they need more time. One thought I had was that you could have spent more time on their relationship in the present, and through a single line or photograph or something, revealed that they have been friends since childhood. The first 45 seconds of the film are spent showing the kids first meeting, but the important part is knowing they have been friends for so long and I think that could have been revealed in the present. Just a thought.

The VFX shot of the sliding glass door breaking is flawless! Perfect mix of compositing and editing!

I also strongly agree with everyone that I think it is so cool that you collaborate and work with so much of your family! What a positive thing for your granddaughter to get to do with her grandfather, something I wish I could have done with mine!

Great work Chris!
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks for the insight, Chris! I was wondering what that glass was that hit the floor too. Simple but effective solution! I had mentioned in another post that this is one of my favorite parts of the DVC -- getting to know how others solved problems, created shots, what was on their mind, etc etc. Thanks again for posting!
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Joseph:
Yes, breaking window was done in post, in Vegas.

Brick was a styrofoam block painted and treated to look like a brick. Actor through it at window from various angles. At that point wasn't sure how it would go.

As a temporary filler till I did something more elaborate, I used a three track sandwhich. In upper and bottom track same scene. In middle track I used a marble heavy grain texture screen from Vegas. On the upper track in fours successive frames I created a growing mask. The first was just a small circle the last covering the door. Used feathering for effect. Then, so the scene behind the door would still be visible, I made the middle track 50% transparent. It worked so well, it turned out I did feel like I had to do anything more elaborate.

In the cut away after, I used decorative glass from Michaels to throw on the floor along with the styro brick again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Tran View Post
Thanks for the insight, Chris! ....this is one of my favorite parts of the DVC -- getting to know how others solved problems, created shots, what was on their mind, etc etc.
I totally thought you just broke the window. (At the time, I was wondering how you avoided hitting the actor on the floor with the brick, a brick that size would do some damage.) Bravo on the special effects!
Andrew Bove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Andrew. Makes me feel good that I fooled some people. Thanks !

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!