INTROSPECTACLE - Feedback - DVC#5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 13th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Major Player

INTROSPECTACLE - Feedback - DVC#5

Wow. Didn't think my film would have been one of the first posted. Nonetheless, here we go.

This film was made without a crew - just me and some equipment.

Two costumes, one Canon XL1s, a home made car mount and various odds and ends. I discovered how challenging it is to film oneself when you can't see exactly what it is you are shooting...lol.

Since it was "ok" in the rules - "You must use your city/town/countryside as a backdrop!" - I decided to use my "countryside" as the backdrop given that is pretty much what we have out here in the sticks.

I welcome all comments, critiques and thoughts. Please feel free to let me know and hope you enjoy the film. Thank you very much!

Best wishes~
Bradley

Last edited by Bradley L Marlow; April 13th, 2006 at 10:25 AM.
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Major Player

You made a great short. The jumps in the editing (hard music changes with fast scene cuts) really added to the character. We all know someone like that so it was a fun piece to watch. Cheers.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Ben

Sure appreciate your comments. So happy you liked the piece and that you identified with the character.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #4
Trustee

Wow!

Brad:

Stunning cinematography. The images were fabulous. Your use of light and framing just blew me away. You are also an excellent character actor. For a one man show you did a great job. Alot of work went into your movie and it shows. You just raised the bar on the technical end of things. Makes me want to work that much harder on my projects. Thank you for giving us a high technical goal towards which to strive.
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Thank you Hugh

Very kind! I'm glad you liked the visuals and especially grateful for the comments on the acting...lol. It's been a while since I played a full character role and wasn't sure how it would all work out. Much appreciated.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Wrangler

fabulous use of location! also a great sound mix! i've made a one-man band film for a DV challenge, so i can totally appreciate how much goes into doing it, but nothing as complex as this.

i don't know how you managed to get some of these shots of yourself, by yourself, framed so accurately, especially face-down, bloodied with a sharp object in your sphincterdoodle.

excellent job, bradley. you amaze me with your many talents.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #7
Major Player

Thank you Meryem

Really appreciate your comments and was secretly crossing my fingers that you would like it. I value your thoughts.

I can certainly relate (now) to how much went into your one-man band film.

One of the tricks I used, after too much guessing, was to lay down a semi-stuffed pair of shorts or set up a second tripod with the "Grim Twin" head on it. Frame it up, start the camera rolling, set myself up in approximately the same spot, throw the shorts or Grim out of the frame and hope for the best.

"Sphincter-doodle"...lol. Glad you caught that.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #8
Wrangler

Dear, Sweet Crash. I love this guy!

Well, Brad, you did it. You had me laughing my head off, then choking up when I realized what was going on with our hero. I wish no one had to look back and have regrets like that.

But let's dwell on the funny stuff! Because I was a bit of a rock hound as a kid I really laughed when the man and the legend got into his hunt like he did. "NOPE!!!!" LOL!!!! You're a great actor.

Beautiful job, as usual. Ain't it great livin' in the sticks? :)
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #9
Inner Circle

This was my first film, and seeing the work you guys do will certainly motivate me to improve. I loved the pace, and the craziness of the film-- as well as the great scenery and backgrounds.
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #10
Major Player

Thank you Lorinda

Am so happy that you liked the film. Especially glad that you laughed...and got choked up. Was hoping for something like that.

YES! It is great living in the sticks. With so few people around, felt I was able to get away clean...and not be hauled off to the rubber room.

Really value your comments and thanks again!

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #11
Major Player

Thank you Chris

Glad you liked the pace and the locations and sure appreciate you taking the time to write.

No matter where we are in the process of creating films, I'd be willing to bet that each of us is highly critical of our own work. The DV Challenge, for me, has been one of the greatest educational experiences I can remember. No wonder they call it "Cheaper than Film School!"

I look forward to seeing your film.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #12
Major Player

GREAT job, Brad! Love the location shots and the character was a hoot. The opening sunrise sequence looked like it came straight out of "Texas Country Reporter." Excellent.

Good thing I took that Evelyn Wood speedreading course! ;)
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #13
Major Player

Nice job! Really pretty shots and nice editing work! Particularly the transition from the pretty opening sequences with the dissolves to the more frantic character stuff with the quick cuts, worked well!

Good work!
Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #14
Major Player

Thank you Edward

Very happy you liked the locations...and the character, "Crash Malone". Is the Texas Counrty Reporter a local TV show? Would sure like to see that.

I noted that you are from "Hell's 6 Acres" in Texas, which is very interesting to me. The reason is because one of the very first locations I wanted to shoot here is a place called "Hell's Half Acre" Wyoming. Filled with bizzare rock formations and a strange valley, this spot was actually used in the film Starship Troopers.

Later, once the realization hit that I would have no crew at all, elected to shoot at the lake which is only 10 miles away. Hall's Half Acre is 75 miles away. Glad I decided on the lake!

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #15
Major Player

Thank you William

Very happy to know you liked the scenery and the editing.

That morning was absolutely beautiful and it is so rare that I'm up for a sunrise. Such a nightowl! However, it was 25 degrees out there and of course I brought everything BUT my coat! Was freezing my sphincter-doodle off...lol. Fortunately, as the day progressed, it warmed up.

Much appreciated!

Best wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!