dvc5 feedback - take me back - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old April 15th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #16
Regular Crew

That was indeed nice work. The opening sequence was a little awkward (the actors seemed uncomfortable), but you had to cram a lot into 5 minutes. I was confused at the ending: wasn't sure if it was wishful thinking or whether it really happened or not. I thought you were trying to leave it ambiguous.

As others have said, good use of the frame to hightlight the reflections theme.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #17
Major Player

Philip,

Really nice short. I love your shot composition. The insert of the power saw, the shots of the town, particularly the shot of the stairs. Did anyone less think the "Meth Awareness Program" was funny? Probably not, my wife claims I'm a little twisted. You realy have a good eye for pictures. I loved the hand lighting the candle.

We both took the same theme, "reflections on a relationship," for our shorts. I did a slice of a moment of time, and you chose to cover five years with FX in the picture frame of what could have been.

After watching your short, my short seems a little simplistic. I could have brought in a lot more aspects of the relationship. On the other hand, you are covering so much territory that the treatment of the relationship seems a little thin with coverage limited to five minutes.

We learn so much from each other by making these projects. I'm definitely putting more insert shots into my next short. Well done.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #18
Major Player

Philip,

Really nice short. I love your shot composition. The insert of the power saw, the shots of the town, particularly the shot of the stairs. Did anyone less think the "Meth Awareness Program" was funny? Probably not, my wife claims I'm a little twisted. You realy have a good eye for pictures. I loved the hand lighting the candle.

We both took the same theme, "reflections on a relationship," for our shorts. I did a slice of a moment of time, and you chose to cover five years with FX in the picture frame of what could have been.

After watching your short, my short seems a little simplistic. I could have brought in a lot more aspects of the relationship. On the other hand, you are covering so much territory that the treatment of the relationship seems a little thin with coverage limited to five minutes.

We learn so much from each other by making these projects. I'm definitely putting more insert shots into my next short. Well done.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks for the kind words -- the Meth Awareness shot was not there by accident, nor were the shots of the graveyard as she walks into town. At the least I wanted to comment on where she was coming from -- that she was depressed and confused, lost in a lot of ways. Plus that sign comments on the town too, and it was just too classic to pass up. (I didn't fake it -- that was a real sign posted in my town).

I came away from watching your film with a lot of the same thoughts that you have, only backwards -- watching your film made mine feel a little rushed and like you said, maybe a little thin. I really enjoyed the acting in your film and thought you did a great job keeping the story simple and touching.

It was cool to see yours because our ideas were so similar compared to the other films, and yet also very different. I've really learned a lot too -- next time I'll try for less mechanics and spend more time on the dialogue and acting.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #20
Trustee

Phil:

Telling her to get lost in the end is what everybody expected. Good for you for throwing a curve ball. Keep 'em off balance, bro. Nice job!
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #21
Major Player

I posted the outtakes and my initial mirror effect test on my dvc5 page -- http://www.centerstreetproductions.com/dvc5 , just in case anyone is interested.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #22
Major Player

I thought it was a nice univeral story. I was a bit confused at some of the cuts in time but the overall story came through which I know is hard to do. there was a huge timeline to get across. I liked the mirror affect and thought that told a me a lot but it was hard to connect it with the story. I didn't get the connection of the routing wood with the story until you explained it. i'm not sure how else you could convey the "getting on with your life" though. all in all it was a nice story with some unexpected curve balls that were good.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!