DVC 6 Feedback - "Depths of SADness" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 21st, 2006, 12:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVC 6 Feedback - "Depths of SADness"

Ok, well this my first film ever. I had some people to help with the original concept but everyone backed out so I did everything myself. Filmed, edited and wrote it. Basically the concept is someone who is suffering from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) which is a type of depression that happens during the winter when someone doesn't get enought natural sunlight. They have different types of treatment like light boxes and medicine but the sun is the only true cure. This was more of an artistic piece. I had a voiceover but I didnt like it too well. That and I was strapped for time. I know this film is very flawed but I hope some people like it. Thanks
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi John,

Kudos to sticking with it and turning out a one-man production. In those circumstances, I think most of us would have hung it up and suffer the wall of shame (I know I would have)!

I live in Vancouver where it rains about 300 days out of the year, so I liked your use of the theme. The one thing I noticed was that you have given the piece several different "looks", through effects or color correction. I think it might've made the film more consistent if you had stuck with one look, then perhaps change it when the sun finally comes out. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Eric Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Well, yes, I did like this one, John. Really dark, artsy kind of video. Pretty darn good for your first go. Wasn't sure where it was going, especially given the title, but it all came together in the end. Made me go, "AHA!" Well done.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Looking back you're right. If I had more time I would of fixed the "mirror" scene with the color to match the rest of the film minus the ending. I guess I was trying to portray different "moods" but I understand what your saying. Thanks for the comments.
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:56 PM   #5
Wrangler

Hi John!

Help me out with something. Was that you in the movie? If so, how did you get camera movement when your back was turned? :)

My favorite shot in your movie is of the outstretched arms and face turned toward the light. Gave me goosebumps. Nice job.

Btw, I have a sister who bought one of those lights. You're right--they don't help all that much.

Interesting concept, and I'm glad you shot it. We'll see you next time, too!
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes, that was me Lorinda. I guess I forgot to put "Starring" as well lol. About the camera movements, well, very carefully. Many takes and a steady hand. It wasn't easy.
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:04 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm glad to see you stuck it out and completed it. doing it on your own is really hard, I know. I think you looked at your LCD on the camera a little much, hahaha. But if you did all the camera stuff, how did you shoot yourself on the bed where the camera is turning? or di you do that in post? I agree that there was a little bit of consistency problems between shots. I did like the end shot of you bathed in sunlight. How did you do that? it almost looked like a street lamp at night.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Nope, I held the camera up and turned it. I think I did the ending by accident. I had something something all the way up or down. I can go and look but it looked cool and I went with it. It ended up being my favorite shot in the film.
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:04 PM   #9
Major Player

Wow, that's a first time effort? Not bad at all, congratulations!

I agree about the "looks" in the film, I think you've got a bit too many in there. They're all good, just not necessarily meant for each other.

The shot where you throw down the pill bottle struck me as a little dramatic, especially synced to the music like that. Gets the point across, though, and ultimately, what more can you ask for?

Moving on to the sun, I gather your drawing isn't supposed to have brought it out from behind the clouds, as I first suspected (only figured that out at the end, with the explanation of the disorder). Still looks cool, though; guy is depressed because sun is gone, guy draws sun, sun comes back! If I were you, however, I might have held off on the smiley face. It's cute, and all, but if the character's supposed to be genuinely depressed, would he add that? Actually, come to think of it, I guess he might, in an attempt to cheer himself up. Hmm. I'll have to think about that, I'm not sure which I'd like better.

And that first shot of you outdoors, with the sun behind you, man, is that beautiful! Is that real? It looks so perfect, I can hardly believe it, nice work. Then the soft glow while you're looking at the sky, and that streetlight-looking shot, all amazing. I've never made such pretty pictures, and only hope to match these one day. Good show!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The sun shots are very real and picked a perfect time to film it. Your second thought on the drawing part was what I was going for. But the fact it got you thinking is an added bonus. Thank you all for the comments so far.
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:35 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I appreciate the theme as having worked in Alaska during the winter. It was always dark.

I am with the others on the too many "looks".

I think that your effort really shows considering it was a one man job. Tough to get some of those shots all by yourself. You obviously have a lot of patience.

Good work!
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 03:39 PM   #12
Trustee

One man is the way to go, if you have to. Never let lack of people, gear or anything else short of no camera keep you from doing something you feel compelled to do. I still say the compulsion to do it, not the drive for success or monetary gain is what makes one an artist.

Anyway, I too liked it. I think however it would make a good :30 spot on the disorder rather than 3 minutes. it's a bit long as it sits, but it is still very good.

I agree with the others, the shot at the end is a good one. Sort of an Atlas pose, overcoming the weight of the disorder as Atlas carried the weight of the world.

I have thought for years that I might also be effected by lack of full spectrum light, especially here in the Ohio winters. I see you know something about that as well. (Nice shirt)

Keep at it. You have done well this time out. Now promise yourself what I do with each project I do. Promise yourself you will get better with each one and you probably will.

Good luck,

Sean Mchenry
(Hilliard, Ohio)

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:42 PM   #13
Inner Circle

John:

In my first (DVC5), I was the primary actor, this time only my feet got in.

Great first time, and some great natural lighting. And how did you light that last one ?

I do think you could have cut it down quite a bit, and had a faster moving film. Just because Dylan says no more that 3 minutes, it does maina you have to use it all.
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:21 PM   #14
Regular Crew

This was a good take on the sun idea. I'd agree that it was a bit long; some of the shots were telling me the same things I'd already been told. That said, there were some really nice shots in there and some good storytelling imagery. I'm very impressed that you did all the camerawork yourself - except for a few glances at the camera it worked out very well. The track down to the pill bottle was particularly effective. The different looks didn't bother me so much, although I kept thinking the fuzzy stuff was flashbacks.

Nice debut!

-j
Jay Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:07 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I didn't realize the film could be shorter than the 3:00 mark. I was just being safe. lol Next time i'll keep that in mind. I would of cut a ton of stuff out if I would of known that. I saw 3 minutes and kept to that. Oh well. Thanks for the feedback back folks.
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!