DVC 7 - Darryl Ahye - "Une Perte Tragique" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 29th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Darryl -

This film was really beautiful! I'm actually really impressed that you shot it in one day, based on how calculated the cinematography seemed to be. It really appeared as if you put a lot of thought into each and every shot! Awesome job!

I also loved the effects you added when you edited...as many people have already mentioned the desaturated color was really effective. I like that you didn't go with straight black and white, because when I think of memories, I don't think black and white, but I do think "faded", which is exactly the effect your film had. The strobe-like editing you used in spots was cool too. It fits along the same lines as the faded color, in that when memories start to fade they become a bit broken up and choppy and sometimes we only remember little flashes of a person or an event. Well done!

Ok, so with all of this praise, I have to add a bit of constructive criticism too...I really loved the song and oh my goodness major props to your singer for her truly hauntingly beautiful performance, but I think some how it felt a little forced...I wanted the images to tell the story...not the song...Its like the music matched too well...If that makes any sense. I think you could have told the same story with a simpler version of the same song, so that there were moments where instead of listening to what the lyrics were telling you the story was about, the images were telling you what they were about...lol ok I totally feel like one of my film professors from college now, so I'll hope that I made some logic there and stop...hehe

All in all a beautiful, deep film though! Fabulous job again!

-Jamey-
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks Jamey...

Good stuff! Memories are never really that clear and I took that into consideration when I was editing. I am going to keep working hard on my cinematography and color grading (two things I appreciate a lot when I look at films).
I wanna take a shot at that "On The Lot" contest (on FOX) and the UWOL contest (right here on DVinfo). I challenge myself all the time, I started off knowing absolutely nothing last year, to the point where I'm comfortable but I wanna keep moving forward. I think I'll be learning 3d modeling next as well as more lighting and cinematography.
Darryl Ahye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 02:00 AM   #18
Major Player

One day, very nice. Looks like the setups took hours. Very nice entry Darryl.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 04:41 PM   #19
Trustee

Darryl,

Very well done, the visuals and Kaitrin's vocal complement each other in a very hauntingly deep mood with enough of a hint of despair.

I've watched it over and over and it really draws one in.

Bruce
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 04:48 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman
I've watched it over and over and it really draws one in.
Bruce
I'm with Bruce...even though I watched this film days ago, some of your beautiful imagery and the haunting song are still sticking in my memory!
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 07:23 PM   #21
Major Player

Very good job guys! Very good "production" work! I was very impressed...
Interesting story. I liked it. And the hole speaking in French helped the mood I think, along with keeping you watching.

What did you use for gear? The audio was nice and the video looked crisp.

Keep up the good work!
~Gabriel
Old January 1st, 2007, 11:19 PM   #22
Major Player

Amazing edits, I really liked the strobing too.

I think this film had the strongest 'visual mood' for me.

It was easier to pick up on the relationship the second time around. I think though that that held me in more throughout the film.

Really nice NLE work though, I'm very impressed.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:40 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, You guys show so much love. That's the best thing about DVC, we're all in this thing together.

Here's a list of the gear I used:
Panasonic's DVX100b
Marshall MXL Series 990 Condenser Mic
Smith Victor Light (I borrowed one from my friend Adam Smith)
Walmart's Generic Tripod
Darryl Ahye 6'2 ManJIB and ManDOLLY (Not sold in stores)

Edited in Final Cut Pro
MPEG4 Compression

I might revert to Sony Vegas or just cut with AVID or Premiere since I can't afford the Mac I need to use it at home, even with their 'generous' educational discounts. I love FCP but they don't wanna make it for PC.
At least I have other options so I can't complain. Use what you have now and the rest will come in good time.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:51 AM   #24
Major Player

ManDolly!

I am totally listing 'mandolly' as professional equipment:

Camera rental: $50/day
Tripod rental: $15/day
ManDolly rental: $500/hour

Haha!
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:37 PM   #25
Major Player

Very much liked the camera angles and movement. Thought the black and white worked well with the mood. Some of the flashing edits I didn't like as much, but that's more of a stylistic opinion. Music hit the right mood. Very well done.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:26 AM   #26
Trustee

I am a great fan of holding back information. I love a good artistic piece too. I have always tried to give a sense of mood with the soundtrack.

I think this is one of my personal favorites. Nicely done. Did you add grain in post?

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #27
Regular Crew

lol @ ManDolly rental (Brent)

Thanks, but the ManDolly did half of the work :) (Kris)

I added a sprinkle of grain, just for the flavor :P (Sean)
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #28
Trustee

Hi Darryl

Well I'm finally getting round to some critique....I started with yours because it covered a very similar sequence really albeit in a different fashion as my entry....morbid buggers arent we :)

I really liked your editing and cutting effects, stylish and interesting...A feast for the eyes! I especially liked the flickering and overlaying (any info on this much appreciated:) I also like your style of shooting and some of the more abstract angles and shots. I didn't understand who the chap in the cap was but I guess I didn't really need to......oh and he did add some 'cool' factor ;) !

The story unfolded well and the music was haunting and original. The characters seemed a bit 'rigid' in places but the style did fit with the mood as a whole....and made it quite haunting.

Great stuff...It's given me some 'style' inspiration for my future works!

Cheers
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #29
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ahye
Here's a list of the gear I used:
Marshall MXL Series 990 Condenser Mic
I was looking at this microphone (and the 991), and saw that it requires phantom power. How exactly did you get phantom power to the mic while recording video? I suppose that my question is based on the assumption that what little in-video speech there was ("He died"), was recorded with the video.

I rather like your video. Some of the "trippy" effects you added definitely add a nice flair. Nice camera work and a cool premise make this a good short film.
Kenneth Yeager is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!